DVC rental and Insurance

oceanwave

Mouseketeer
We are looking to rent DVC points for our up coming Disney trip. I know that once you make your payment your locked into the rental and there will be no refunds if I need to cancel. I am contemplating taking the insurance that one of the rental companies offers. Has anyone been able to get insurance from a Canadian Insurance provider? I don't know how the insurance would work with a DVC rental compared to a vacation booked directly with Disney? Also does anyone have experience with renting through DVC Rental Store (can I name them on the boards?)

I believe David's vacation rental is Canadian. I'm pretty sure I saw the TICO icon on his site.

Yes, we rented thru David's and got travel insurance thru CAA. I asked if it would be covered and was told that since it is a non-refundable travel expense paid in full to a company that is registered with TICO it would be treated the same as any other travel. Not sure if they would cover if you did a private rental contract or not. We went with David's because they're based out of Canada so we didn't need to pay the foreign transaction fee as well as the exchange and we would use them again in a heartbeat!

We have rented twice through Davids for Aulani and they were amazing for both transactions.

Spin-off:
Has anyone gotten travel insurance for points rented from another member? If so, from where?

Yes, we rented thru David's and got travel insurance thru CAA. I asked if it would be covered and was told that since it is a non-refundable travel expense paid in full to a company that is registered with TICO it would be treated the same as any other travel. Not sure if they would cover if you did a private rental contract or not. We went with David's because they're based out of Canada so we didn't need to pay the foreign transaction fee as well as the exchange and we would use them again in a heartbeat!

Interesting! I have an annual policy with CAA, so thought I would give them a call and was told they do not cover timeshare rentals. Wonder if it is because David's would be classified as a travel agency due to the tico registration. I didn't want to go with David's due to their taking your money upfront without even knowing if there is availability. I wanted to find out if there is availability before making my final decision.

Interesting! I have an annual policy with CAA, so thought I would give them a call and was told they do not cover timeshare rentals. Wonder if it is because David's would be classified as a travel agency due to the tico registration. I didn't want to go with David's due to their taking your money upfront without even knowing if there is availability. I wanted to find out if there is availability before making my final decision.
I have a friend who is a DVC owner who was willing to help me figure out which resorts had openings at the times i wanted to go and since i knew that the resort i wanted (OKW) would still have rooms past the 7 month mark (when owners can use their points at any resort not their home resort) I was comfortable going with David's. They did give me the option of a refund on my deposit when there were no points for them to rent me but i knew it would come thru so i just let them keep looking. I wanted to go with a company that has the TICO registration because of the level of security that provides on it's own.

I would not take someone's experience with something like this insurance though, I called myself and documented everything that was said including the name of the person i spoke to in case i needed to make a claim.

Bumping this old thread!

I am thinking of renting DVC points for Christmas 2020. I don’t mind paying upfront a deposit for searching availability, but I am worried about the no cancellation policy with David. If my credit card offers travel insurance, will it cover the DVC rental costs? TIA!

Bumping this old thread!

I am thinking of renting DVC points for Christmas 2020. I don’t mind paying upfront a deposit for searching availability, but I am worried about the no cancellation policy with David. If my credit card offers travel insurance, will it cover the DVC rental costs? TIA!

You'd probably have to ask your credit card unfortunately.

Hi Jacqueline, how did you ask CAA about the booking? I am not sure how I explain it so my credit card insurance company understands the situation. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

Hi Jacqueline, how did you ask CAA about the booking? I am not sure how I explain it so my credit card insurance company understands the situation. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!
I just said that I had booked hotel accommodations thru an agency that provides non-refundable rentals, I'm not sure if I said it was timeshare or not but I did make it clear that the agency is based in Canada and that they are more like a middle man. I'm fairly confident that there is some wording in one of our credit cards that specifically excludes this type of rental, I'll see if I can dig up my paperwork at some point today (you know I keep everything!!)

I just said that I had booked hotel accommodations thru an agency that provides non-refundable rentals, I'm not sure if I said it was timeshare or not but I did make it clear that the agency is based in Canada and that they are more like a middle man. I'm fairly confident that there is some wording in one of our credit cards that specifically excludes this type of rental, I'll see if I can dig up my paperwork at some point today (you know I keep everything!!)
Thanks for checking! I just realized that DD22 is no longer a dependent as she is not studying full time now. I called my card company just then to get her a supplementary card otherwise she wouldn’t be covered by the insurance, and I also asked about the time share. I went (asking David the rep): I am planning a trip to Disney and they have a timeshare program. I would like to rent the timeshare points to book a hotel through a third party rental company which is a TICO company here in Canada. Would my insurance cover this? He replied yes. I hope he is not like the CAs at WDW. I am taking his words for this! I am actually thinking of getting the TD US Dollar Visa. If its insurance will cover DVC trip cancellation, I may book my whole vacation renting points. At first, I only planned to book two nights renting points pre-cruise. But now with more research, I may book the post-cruise portion renting points as well. Paying the moderate price but staying at Deluxe during Christmas time? Who can resist!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!