DVC Rivera Resort at Caribbean Beach announced at D23

Do we know for certain this is going in at CBR and not adjacent to the Swan/Dolphin?
From the Disney Skyliner (Gondolas) map they showed at the D23 Expo, it's pretty clear it will be near CBR.

skyliner-map.jpg

I think, despite the understated theme in the mock ups, you cannot "link" a Riviera theme with the Caribbean. Not cleanly.

I'm suspicious the discounts or add ons will be good because I see it as a slow seller and the Poly has apparently underperformed, we'll see about CCV. NO matter the gondola or separation from CBR, it's still going to have similarities to AKV, SSR & OKW and thus still be in a moderate location. I don't see much they can do to change that unless they go over the top in other areas which they've never done before. We'll see, it should be interesting as I suspect this is going to be a over it or almost hate it resort.

I'm usually skeptical but I have to disagree on Riviera. The 8-9 story buildings are going to have attractive views of Epcot fireworks--better than either Boardwalk or Beach Club. Hollywood Studios will also be visible from some rooms. (Not much of the building faces directly toward HS.)

We don't know specifics on the gondola speed or capacity but using reasonable estimates, we should be talking +/- 10 minute door-to-door transportation to both. It won't be the 5-10 min walk to Epcot that BC/BW offer, but will provide better balance between both Epcot and DHS. DHS is a painful trip from BW/BC, and that's where everyone will want to go when Star Wars opens.

The entire Centertown restaurant/shopping complex at CBR is being renovated with no specifics revealed yet. While I'm sure Disney wants to distance Riviera from the moderate hotel, Centertown is geographically pretty close to Riviera. They could get a lot of mileage out of building up that area similar to Crescent Lake at BW/BC/YC. With 300 rooms, Riviera should have its own feature pool and we know it's getting an impressive amenity in the rooftop restaurant.

While I expect Disney to exercise some fiscal responsibility, they did a respectable job of improving resort amenities in conjunction with the Grand Floridian, Poly and Copper Creek DVC additions. Especially the additions to pool, dining & recreation at WL for Copper Creek.

As for Poly, sales have actually exploded the last few months while Copper Creek has stumbled. Probably using the "buy Poly while you can" sales pitch. Jan - June 2017 has yielded best overall DVC sales since 2012.

I'm usually skeptical but I have to disagree on Riviera. The 8-9 story buildings are going to have attractive views of Epcot fireworks--better than either Boardwalk or Beach Club. Hollywood Studios will also be visible from some rooms. (Not much of the building faces directly toward HS.)

We don't know specifics on the gondola speed or capacity but using reasonable estimates, we should be talking +/- 10 minute door-to-door transportation to both. It won't be the 5-10 min walk to Epcot that BC/BW offer, but will provide better balance between both Epcot and DHS. DHS is a painful trip from BW/BC, and that's where everyone will want to go when Star Wars opens.

The entire Centertown restaurant/shopping complex at CBR is being renovated with no specifics revealed yet. While I'm sure Disney wants to distance Riviera from the moderate hotel, Centertown is geographically pretty close to Riviera. They could get a lot of mileage out of building up that area similar to Crescent Lake at BW/BC/YC. With 300 rooms, Riviera should have its own feature pool and we know it's getting an impressive amenity in the rooftop restaurant.

While I expect Disney to exercise some fiscal responsibility, they did a respectable job of improving resort amenities in conjunction with the Grand Floridian, Poly and Copper Creek DVC additions. Especially the additions to pool, dining & recreation at WL for Copper Creek.

As for Poly, sales have actually exploded the last few months while Copper Creek has stumbled. Probably using the "buy Poly while you can" sales pitch. Jan - June 2017 has yielded best overall DVC sales since 2012.
We'll see, I'm skeptical as to the demand. Previously many were questioning how they could do this at this location and I said they could successfully. I just don't see it reaching the demand of BCV, BWV, BLT or VGF.

We'll see, I'm skeptical as to the demand. Previously many were questioning how they could do this at this location and I said they could successfully. I just don't see it reaching the demand of BCV, BWV, BLT or VGF.

Possibly not, but with 300 units this is going to be a big point sink into the system, and I expect it will be solidly booked all of fall frenzy in advance of both OKW and Saratoga.

Possibly not, but with 300 units this is going to be a big point sink into the system, and I expect it will be solidly booked all of fall frenzy in advance of both OKW and Saratoga.
That's not a high bar.

That's not a high bar.
Nope. But I wouldn't expect a lot of availability at 7 months in fall at any point declaration and sold points are near-level. I think people with home resort will likely just hold for fall.

So what does everyone think the point requirements will be for rooms. More than BCV but less than BLT?

So what does everyone think the point requirements will be for rooms. More than BCV but less than BLT?

I'd guess similar range to BCV for a Standard, add points for a better view. Possibly similar range as BLT, but cheaper than VGF.

I'd guess similar range to BCV for a Standard, add points for a better view. Possibly similar range as BLT, but cheaper than VGF.

Agree. I don't see the points per room exceeding VGF, but I would expect them to be in the BLT/PVB range. I can also see them structuring the point chart in such a way that Fall Frenzy is not a low point period there.

Steve

Agree. I don't see the points per room exceeding VGF, but I would expect them to be in the BLT/PVB range. I can also see them structuring the point chart in such a way that Fall Frenzy is not a low point period there.

Steve
I'm thinking more in the CCR range.

I'm thinking more in the CCR range.

Possible, but I think CCV was set artificially low because they felt they had to match the point chart for BRV, given the proximity. The trade-off there is the significantly higher MF.

This will be a new build, new transportation, and rooftop restaurant. It will definitely be the flagship resort in the Epcot area. Why price the rooms at the same level as BCV & BWV? That would just cheapen the perception of the resort's "luxury".

Steve

I think CCV was set artificially low because they felt they had to match the point chart for BRV, given the proximity.

I agree. They couldn't make much in the way of claims around amenities or location vs. BRV unless they did something really spectacular (and hard to maintain) in the room finishes.

It's going to be a separate resort. In other words: Riviera guests don't get to use CBR pool, CBR guests don't get to use fitness center or Riviera pools.

DVC members get to pool hop at many resorts, so chances are DVC guests will get to use the CBR pool, but not the other way around.

Possible, but I think CCV was set artificially low because they felt they had to match the point chart for BRV, given the proximity. The trade-off there is the significantly higher MF.

This will be a new build, new transportation, and rooftop restaurant. It will definitely be the flagship resort in the Epcot area. Why price the rooms at the same level as BCV & BWV? That would just cheapen the perception of the resort's "luxury".

Steve
I''m not thinking it as the flagship which is likely why I'm looking at lower points. To me it'll be below BCV/BWV but above SSR/OKW/AKV. We'll see.

DW and I are extremely interested in this one. That being said, there are a few things that we still need to see before we're 100% convinced. Point charts and per point cost are two obvious ones. The other would be amenities, types of villas available, and transportation options/logistics. I can make some level of a guess on most of these. However transportation (outside the Skyliner) is my biggest question mark. This is being billed as a Deluxe property, separate from CBR. To me, it HAS to have its own buses. Otherwise,it's a deal breaker for us. We're not looking to pay the anticipated amount of money and use the anticipated point totals to share buses with a moderate, where there will be a whole bunch of stops. I've stayed at CBR, and also SSR. Our biggest complaint for both resorts was the multiple bus stops. There's nothing worse than waiting at a stop on your way to rope drop only to have a loaded bus pull up to the stop, or have to stand on a crowded bus, trying to hold a stroller with one hand and a 40 lb sleeping child with the other.

However transportation (outside the Skyliner) is my biggest question mark. This is being billed as a Deluxe property, separate from CBR. To me, it HAS to have its own buses. Otherwise,it's a deal breaker for us. We're not looking to pay the anticipated amount of money and use the anticipated point totals to share buses with a moderate, where there will be a whole bunch of stops.

Well, about 30% of the rooms at Caribbean Beach have been demolished. I don't know how room counts vary from building to building but if evenly distributed, that would be about 600-650 rooms. Meanwhile Riviera is adding about 300 villas to the area.

I realize CBR probably did not have the best bus service WDW has to offer. However, there is no destination at WDW which currently has dedicated bus service for just 300 villas. Not even close. The smaller resorts--and I use that term loosely--often share bus service. Poly and Grand Floridian share. Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge share. BW usually shares with Dolphin and Swan. Then the larger resorts like OKW and Saratoga have multiple stops.

The gondolas will service 2 destinations. That leaves MK, AK and Disney Springs. Maybe they'll consolidate stops at CBR to eliminate some of the stops. I could definitely see them having all incoming buses stop at Riviera first. But I can't believe they would give a 300-room property dedicated service. And if they did offer dedicated routes from day one, I'd be very surprised if it stuck for more than a couple of years. Logistical issues notwithstanding, it would also be a drain on member dues.

Well, about 30% of the rooms at Caribbean Beach have been demolished. I don't know how room counts vary from building to building but if evenly distributed, that would be about 600-650 rooms. Meanwhile Riviera is adding about 300 villas to the area.

I realize CBR probably did not have the best bus service WDW has to offer. However, there is no destination at WDW which currently has dedicated bus service for just 300 villas. Not even close. The smaller resorts--and I use that term loosely--often share bus service. Poly and Grand Floridian share. Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge share. BW usually shares with Dolphin and Swan. Then the larger resorts like OKW and Saratoga have multiple stops.

The gondolas will service 2 destinations. That leaves MK, AK and Disney Springs. Maybe they'll consolidate stops at CBR to eliminate some of the stops. I could definitely see them having all incoming buses stop at Riviera first. But I can't believe they would give a 300-room property dedicated service. And if they did offer dedicated routes from day one, I'd be very surprised if it stuck for more than a couple of years. Logistical issues notwithstanding, it would also be a drain on member dues.

These are valid points. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect dedicated buses, but the lack of them will certainly play into our decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter