DVC vs. Competition

glamdring269

DIS Veteran
We bought DVC resale a few years back since it seemed like such a great value. To be honest I was hesitant as I've always held a negative opinion/stigma towards timeshares in general. DVC has actually opened me up to potentially considering others but I'm not sure if this is the only good value out there or if there are actually some others that present good value as well.

So with that in mind, just curious if anyone has any knowledge on this? Either directly because you own elsewhere or indirectly because you've surveyed the industry in some way. I assume resale would be the way to go on most timeshares as well but not certain if that's true or not.

I think there's good experiences to be had. However, one thing to look into with Timeshares is buying resale. We bought a timeshare through resale in the RCI points system, and essentially paid ZERO for it upfront. (Paid $580 in fees, but the first year dues were included which was an $800 value.) We've been using it now for 3 years and I feel we have gotten some fantastic value out of it. We have never stayed at where we own. (It's actually in Orlando so we can't even trade into DVC because of that - knew it going in.)

As far as resale goes, my finding is that most timeshares don't retain their value nearly as well as DVC, and in addition, most don't have definitive end dates, so people wanting out of a timeshare are willing to almost give them away. Top ones like Hilton and Wyndam cost some amount of money, but still much, much less than "new", and unlike Disney, the timeshare systems don't punish people for buying on the resale market, so you still get all the perks. Most of them don't work with the flexibility of the Disney one. (Many timeshares still use the fixed "weeks" concept.) In our case, because the timeshare we own is already in the RCI points system, we can use this system that works much like the Disney one. (We've booked days at a number of resorts, points can't be "banked" and "borrowed" from outside your use year.) So far we have stayed in Orlando, Virginia, the Berkshires and California, with upcoming trips back to the Berkshires and to Sedona. What we have typically used it for is to get 2- or 3- or 4-bedroom units for trips with family that include full kitchens and mulitple bathrooms. RCI tacks on quite a few fees, but even factoring those in, the prices are great.

Examples (and these are all costs factored in - no tax or fees to add on, it's factored in):
Our 4-bedroom unit in the Shenandoah cost us $213 per night, and we spilt that with another family so it was only $100 a night.
Went to Orlando for a Universal trip this past February and had a 2-bedroom unit just off-site of Disney for $141 a night for 7 nights.
Our 3 nights at Vacation Villages in the Berkshires in a 1-bedroom unit in November was a last minute type thing, but only ran us $233 for 3 nights, so $77 a night. Our stay there next year over MLK weekend will actually run us $181 a night, but it's next to a ski resort, and we have a two bedroom unit for that.
The 2-bedroom units in Sedona are costing us $151 a night for 3 nights during Easter week.

I honestly haven't checked what the rates at any of these resorts would be if we paid cash, but I can't think they were much better. In addition, while we haven't really taken advantage of it, the system allows for "last minute" vacations that you can book open units less than 2 months out and get stays for $200-300 for a week. I hope someday to be able to take advantage of this, but right now we've been planning many of our vacations well in advance for numerous reasons, only the Berkshire one was somewhat last minute.

In addition, while we haven't really taken advantage of it, the system allows for "last minute" vacations that you can book open units less than 2 months out and get stays for $200-300 for a week. I hope someday to be able to take advantage of this, but right now we've been planning many of our vacations well in advance for numerous reasons, only the Berkshire one was somewhat last minute.
OP -- don't forget that DVC members are now invited to book cash rental weeks through RCI's Last Minute and Getaway inventories! See: Sightings of RCI Rental Weeks offered through DVC

We bought Wyndham points cheap from eBay in order to both stay at Bonnet Creek and other places besides Orlando.

We didn't buy Bonnet Creek but looked for cheaper MF resorts. Wyndham allows booking at any resort at 10 months (home resort at 13). But. Bonnet Creek has 1100 rooms; something is normally available well within the 10 month window.

We love Bonnet Creek. Not enough to give up DVC, but it's a nice adjunct to owning DVC and having APs.

Plus. When we drive we now sometimes stay over in Destin at Wyndham on our way from Texas. Adds a Beach to our trip.

We bought Wyndham points cheap from eBay in order to both stay at Bonnet Creek and other places besides Orlando.

We didn't buy Bonnet Creek but looked for cheaper MF resorts. Wyndham allows booking at any resort at 10 months (home resort at 13). But. Bonnet Creek has 1100 rooms; something is normally available well within the 10 month window.

We love Bonnet Creek. Not enough to give up DVC, but it's a nice adjunct to owning DVC and having APs.

Plus. When we drive we now sometimes stay over in Destin at Wyndham on our way from Texas. Adds a Beach to our trip.

Bonnet Creek is in fact "on site" at Disney. It has the same problem that a lot of Timeshares have vs DVC, a very generic hotel feel, but it is very, very nice and I know quite a few people that love it there. Wyndham is one of the higher quality timeshares and we considered buying into it when we were looking at a second timeshare, but went with an RCI system one. I think if we ever buy another (not likely anytime soon) I might go with Wyndham.

Good discussion all. We enjoy vacationing to the Caribbean and Maui (when not at the Dis!) so would likely want to find something that caters to those locations. The good news is we know specifically what weeks of the year we're able to actually go on longer trips as the wife is a school teacher. The bad news is there are a lot of folks who are likely fighting for those same specific time periods! (July 4th, Christmas)

I'll definitely check out the other site (tugbbs). Would also only ever consider buying in via resale similar to what we did with DVC.

The nice thing about a fixed week is that you don't have to fight for it every year. You would have that week locked down and could look for a trade while having a solid option to fall back on.

I think Marriott resale weeks are typically floating instead of fixed, but not sure - that's where the research comes in...

We tend to be really good about researching and renting nice properties on VRBO for our Caribbean and Maui trips. One thing I'm noticing is that some of the maintenance fees on these contracts are high enough that it is probably worth just continuing to do what we do currently. Not sure buying into a timeshare in perpetuity is the smartest thing for us given we don't mind putting in the work to research every single trip and deal directly with villa/condo owners.

To be honest I had no idea the maint fees would be so high but maybe that is why a lot of folks play the game of buying elsewhere in order to hope to trade in to where they really want to stay. Sounds somewhat like DVC in a way :), though I think the risk factor is quite different.

Good discussion all. We enjoy vacationing to the Caribbean and Maui (when not at the Dis!) so would likely want to find something that caters to those locations. The good news is we know specifically what weeks of the year we're able to actually go on longer trips as the wife is a school teacher. The bad news is there are a lot of folks who are likely fighting for those same specific time periods! (July 4th, Christmas)

I'll definitely check out the other site (tugbbs). Would also only ever consider buying in via resale similar to what we did with DVC.

The nice thing about a fixed week is that you don't have to fight for it every year. You would have that week locked down and could look for a trade while having a solid option to fall back on.

I think Marriott resale weeks are typically floating instead of fixed, but not sure - that's where the research comes in...

I would agree if you know you want to go to the same place at the same time every year, then a fixed week might be your wisest bet. Most timeshares do have at least tiers, with the more popular weeks being more expensive to buy into. We have started traveling at the more peak times lately, but our long-term plan once DD finished high school in four years is to start taking advantage of off-peak times.

The holiday restrictions on your plans nearly eliminates RCI's rental week programs ... but do keep checking. This year we booked exchanges (not rentals) for both week of July 4th (via Interval International) and New Years (via RCI).

At the present time, the closest I see today via RCI Rentals might be:

Resort: Paniolo Greens, Hawaii (Big Island)
2 Bedrooms 6 (6)
Full kitchen
Check-in: Sun 16-Dec-2018
Check-out: Sun 23-Dec-2018 << Just shy of Christmas ... but certainly "in the season"
Rental rate: USD 1789.99

Resort: Green Blue Houses (#3070), Saint Francois, Guadeloupe ; AI is NOT required
Studio 2 (2) Partial Sat 30-Jun-2018 Sat 07-Jul-2018 USD 619.99 << July 4th!
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Partial Sat 07-Jul-2018 Sat 14-Jul-2018 USD 779.99 << week after July 4th
1 Bedroom 4 (2) Partial Sat 29-Dec-2018 Sat 05-Jan-2019 USD 1039.99 << New Year's

Morritt's Tortuga Club (#2082), Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; AI is NOT required
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Fri 06-Jul-2018 Fri 13-Jul-2018 USD 989.99 << week after July 4h
Studio 2 (2) Mini Fri 06-Jul-2018 Fri 13-Jul-2018 USD 849.99 << week after July 4th

Suites at Sandyport (#7767), Nassau, New Providence Island Bahamas ; AI is NOT required
Studio 2 (2) Partial Sat 30-Dec-2017 Sat 06-Jan-2018 USD 1289.99 << New Year's

I wonder how these compare to your VRBO rental history?

Many timeshare companies sell out fixed weeks to people who don't trade out, especially during the prime times for those resorts. I have two flex weeks for a timeshare in SWFL and I'm getting ready to sell both of them because we moved to that town because we like it so much. It is very hard to book this resort during the high season (from around Thanksgiving to Easter) because flex weeks cannot be used then and the fixed weeks are pretty much sold out since the resort was built in the 1980's. This resort is managed by Hilton Grand Vacations Club (as are three more here), but not owned by Hilton. So you can pay to join HGVC and trade out to other HGVC resorts and use RCI or just use your points here and not join HGVC. HGVC has fees of all sorts, like lots of other timeshare, for booking on line, for booking on the phone, for saving your points, etc.

I agree on checking out TUG to find out more about other timeshares.

Thought it might be able to ask some questions/respond in a few sections below.

1) You know what I really need? A terminology guide for utterly, completely clueless timeshare newbies. DVC seems so simple compared to a lot of these. Fixed weeks. Floating weeks. Cashing in your week for points. Maybe i'm making it too complicated. Is it as simple as you choose to use your home resort by x time or cash it in for points and then use those points to book elsewhere via exchange by y time or lose the points?

2) bwvBound, in your examples the only one I can really try to compare to would be the first one. We stayed at an ocean front studio on Maui (Lahaina Shores) in 2015, ~5 minute walk to Lahaina town, 9 nights, and I believe it was around $2.5k. This was 12/20 - 12/29 so definitely in the Christmas pricing range. Roughly similar pricing but I assume Maui is generally more expensive (on average) though I do also realize that is a 2BR vs. Studio comparison as well.

3) Speaking of which, are you typically forced to book in weeks in most time shares? We tend to be more 9-11 night travelers. Also, with us being 2 adults 0 kids does that open up certain options that could help with being more flexible?

4) Finally, I didn't intend to turn this into a full blown discussion on other timeshares but if it's ok to actually do that on this forum I'm ok to continue!

HGVC allows you to book a minimum of three nights using your membership (a "week" is by season - season gives you the number of points you have to use). No one or two nights.

I'll give my opinions:

4) Finally, I didn't intend to turn this into a full blown discussion on other timeshares but if it's ok to actually do that on this forum I'm ok to continue!

I don't think there is any rules against having a thread talking about other timeshares. This might not be exactly the right place, but since we are comparing it to DVC it's probably close enough.

1) You know what I really need? A terminology guide for utterly, completely clueless timeshare newbies. DVC seems so simple compared to a lot of these. Fixed weeks. Floating weeks. Cashing in your week for points. Maybe i'm making it too complicated. Is it as simple as you choose to use your home resort by x time or cash it in for points and then use those points to book elsewhere via exchange by y time or lose the points?

From what I learned, pretty much every system does it different. Some use weeks, others use points. As others mentioned, I learned a lot on the Timeshare Users Group board as I looked into several different systems. IMO - Disney's is actually quite simple and elegant - the idea that you use points, you can bank from a year before, borrow from a year after, and home resort advantage are all very clear - though lots of people get quite confused as you can easily see by browsing this board.

3) Speaking of which, are you typically forced to book in weeks in most time shares? We tend to be more 9-11 night travelers. Also, with us being 2 adults 0 kids does that open up certain options that could help with being more flexible?

A lot of timeshares are traditional 7-day week ownership. Though most run Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun they vary by location. I notice since DVC did it, more of them are going to a point system though - where you "own" a week at your home which is worth X number of points, and then you can trade that week into the system for various values at various resorts as they are available. I know this is how Wyndam works - I looked at that one pretty extensively - and I also think HGVC (Hilton) works this way as well. I real trick here is in knowing what kind of availability there is.

As I said earlier, my experience outside of DVC was with RCI Points. RCI is a timeshare exchange system that you can also exchange your DVC timeshare in to if you want (but why in the world would you since the value given back is so much less than the true value - but I digress.) The normal RCI system allows you to exchange a week of your timeshare for a week of other timeshares that might be available. This is limited to full weeks as far as I know. RCI has a secondary "points" system which I belong to. This costs additional money to "buy-in" your timeshare, like a few thousand dollars - in my case I bought a timeshare that was already IN that system, so I saved that money as well as the timeshare purchase. Again, the timeshare you own is given a value of points. (And this can vary quite a bit, I intentional bought one that had a high value of points / maintenance fees. (anything near 0.01 cents MF per point is considered good. I'm paying about $865 a year in MF, and get 74,000 points, so 0.012 cents per point) I've seen ones as high as 0.03-0.04 cents of MF per point, which of course makes those points cost you more). Once you are in the points system, you can use your points for both "weeks" and also for "days". In this case, the point system works very similar to the DVC system, you get priority at based on:
1) your home week - so you still have first priority on the week you own
2) home resort - gives you priority for other weeks at your home resort
3) home timeshare system - in my case I own in Vacation Villages, which has about 15 resorts
4) The rest of the RCI system - at I think it's 303 days or 10 months advance you can access all units in the system.

In the RCI points system you have access to both the "Week" system and the "point" system. Some resorts are only in the "Week" system so you can book a week there for Z points. Others can be booked by days, so you can book only 1 or 2 days if you so wish, or also can book 9 or 10 days. (We have not done more than 7 so far.) Similar to DVC, weekend days are more 'expensive' than weekdays, and popular times of year are given higher point values than less popular ones.

Quite honestly, I've been in the RCI points system for about 3 years, and been DVC for almost 4. I figured out DVC pretty well in the first few months, and I STILL don't fully understand the RCI points system 100%. I was a bit disappointed, though not that surprised, that a lot of resorts in the RCI system are almost impossible to get. However, I found that the variety of resorts was plenty big enough that I am not unhappy with the options we have had. There's also fees for just about everything (annual fees to belong, fees to actually book, fees for cancellation insurance...etc.) but as I said in a previous post, I still feel that the value we have gotten has been great.

My advice returns to the TUG boards, look into the various timeshare systems and find what's right for you. If you are interested in having a "home" you use frequently, then the exact resort you buy should be high consideration. If you want in for both your home resort but also trade in, then the system it is in becomes more and more important. (Hilton for instance has around 100 resorts that you could access without ever having to deal with RCI.) And if you only want it for the exchange, then be extra diligent into what you are getting into. In our case, we bought ours on purpose for the exchange only. We've never used our "home", and the one time we stayed in Orlando, we stayed only a mile away but still didn't use our "home" because I found a better price elsewhere. Make sure you understand the fees that get charged depending on what you do with it. I did a TON of research over several months before I settled on the one I did. I can't remember, but pretty sure i bought it through e-bay but as I said in a PP I essentially paid $0 for it.

I own 3 Wyndham contracts for a combined 399k points that I bought for $800, $200, and $1300 including closing and title transfer. ($2300 vs direct price of -$175/1000 or -$70,000).

That's roughly equivalent in value in terms of nights to my -420 DVC points spread over 2 contracts at roughly the same annual MFs (a little less than $2500/yr).

Time of year and size of room matter but I can easily get 2 plus weeks per year out of my points. Normally 3-4 reservations averaging 5 nights.

Here's the nice thing about RCI. DVC just started allowing for last call and extra vacation bookings without using points, but there's a regional block on using DVC's RCI for Orlando resorts. My Wyndham points aren't based in Orlando, so with RCI through Wyndham, I CAN book Orlando resorts, many last minute for cheap.

Last edited:
1) Fixed week is the easiest timeshare concept to understand. I check out the timeshare calendar provided by my resort - or from redweek or other resource, but generally it means that I travel the same time every year (for my non-DVC timeshare, it's the last week of June).

If I don't want to stay at my timeshare resort for that week, then I deposit my week with a timeshare week trading broker (Interval International or RCI) - and they will assign my resort week with a trading value (RCI has points or TPUs to make this clear - II is not as straightforward). I then request a trade for what I want or search online through the leftovers to see if I can find a resort week that I like. I can look for a trade back into my resort for a different time of year or any resort with availability.

The trading value of my resort week is based on several factors: time of year (a late June week in NC means improved trading value), unit size (1BRs are worse than 2BRs but better than studios) and quality/brand (Marriotts get 1st crack at Marriotts, so my non-branded resort can limit some trading options).

Floating weeks, like a points system, adds a bit of competition (book earlier to get the more popular weeks) if you want a specific week at your resort - whether for yourself or to get better trading value to trade for something else.

Last edited:

IMO other timeshare often give a better value than does DVC and certainly if looking at WDW AND other options. You'll have to get educated on other options to see. For HI & the Caribbean, there are options. Marriott may be the best as they have 4 Caribbean resorts on 3 islands and 6 resorts on 4 islands in HI. They do sell some fixed weeks but mostly for high demand times like Xmas, Easter, Ski weeks and the like but they tend to be very expensive. Bluegreen is limited for both with one resort in each, Wyndham has better coverage, esp for HI. Personally for this situation and assuming I wanted to go to HI and the Caribbean most trips, I'd look at Marriott weeks (not trust points) or a combo of trust points and weeks. Possibly EOY weeks to give the reservation advantage of an additional month. This is what we've done with 2 EOY weeks in HI (Oahu & Kauai) and Marriott trust points. Hilton and Westin would be other good HI options as well as possibly Diamond. Nothing will cover everything perfectly though and we still exchange quite routinely. ASAMOF, I have a 3 week HI plan with a 1 BR Maui followed by two 2 BR plus a studio for Oahu and two 2BR for Kauai. All of these was actually done exchanging using fairly low level exchange stock. I also have an additional 2BR on Kauai using points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter