DVC vs. Competition

we are Platinum with BlueGreen Vacations... together with DVC we never have to pay for a hotel room again.... at least outside of maintenance fees

So you're not seeing price rises on other timeshare interests outside of DVC?
I've been outbid (eBay) on a few Worldmark contracts recently. The specific auctions I targeted closed higher than my "historical norms." Outside of Worldmark, I haven't been watching or tracking resale prices ... I simply have no interest in doing so.

I think that it's mostly #1, due to a supply and demand situation - good economy means less people putting their DVC units up for sale, and more people wanting them. One factor that you are not listing - I noticed is that based on limited data from DVCresalemarket, that Disney is buying back a greater % of contracts in 2017 than 2016. (Their data says 2016 it was 4.4 %, while in 2017 its like 7.8% average.) Disney could possibly be leveraging the ROFR to elevate DVC resale pricing. It's a factor that really ONLY applies to DVC, as I don't think any of the other timeshare systems are really interested in buying back contracts. Disney has this ability to "control" to a degree resale prices - and that factor shouldn't be ignored.

Why would Disney leverage ROFR to increase resale prices?

Seems more likely that they are also rolling in the good times to take advantage of higher demand by cherry picking low priced contracts which they can easily resell. Owners are typically asking for higher prices because the demand is actually there to support it. Disney doesn't have as much power as you say - if buyers tended to laugh at the asking prices and walk away, then they would definitely come down, ROFR or no.

It looks like a bubble to me but we'll have to wait and see.

Why would Disney leverage ROFR to increase resale prices?

If they are finding that they are having a hard time selling direct and they feel the reason is resale prices are too low. They clearly were troubled by the resale market enough to take away all the benefits from resale customers in 2016. I'm not saying they have massive power, but they could easily say "Any BLT contract below $115 a point we will ROFR." in which case the asking price would have to go above $115 a point for people to pass ROFR. There's no doubt they can have a degree of control on prices, especially when demand is on the high side. In a recession atmosphere, you are right, it would not work well at all.

Huh, I didn't realize these other systems had ROFR also. Guess I should've known they would.
Many do. Specifically Marriott does on newer properties and doesn't on older ones. Here's a link to a list of Marriott ROFR info https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-mvci-properties-with-no-rofr.225207/ . The only newer resort is Frenchman's cove, I'm not sure why it doesn't. Bluegreen does. Both BG & Marriott seem to have been more active exercising ROFR lately and at higher prices. DVC was recently added to rofr.net. IMO one should rarely let ROFR likelihood affect the price offered but it's good to have an idea of what to expect. I had a Marriott taken recently under ROFR for Grande Vista Platinum. It also appears Marriott is far less likely to take an EOY contract regardless of price.

Only 2 timeshares I would EVER buy... Marriott and DVC. Why? For resale value and "more bang for you buck" as far as Resorts, locations
and Quality. BUT... ONLY if you like/love Disney. Then Marriott for choices/locations/quality, if you don't go to Disney as much.
But, that is my .02 cents worth.
DeerH

Only 2 timeshares I would EVER buy... Marriott and DVC. Why? For resale value and "more bang for you buck" as far as Resorts, locations and Quality. BUT... ONLY if you like/love Disney. Then Marriott for choices/locations/quality, if you don't go to Disney as much.
But, that is my .02 cents worth.
DeerH
Heh, heh ... then you might miss out on all kinds of fun! Some of the best things in life are not 'predictable.' There are tons of variables ... :D

We have owned mvci at Marriott Kauai beach club (1 BD ocean view) 2 floating/platinum weeks for going on 17 years. We like the idea of a floating week since we don't necessarily get to go the exact week every year as DH bids for vacation and there is no guarantee of a specific week. Marriott now has transitioned to a points program. We liked the idea of marriott because of the brand and option of using the week, depositing the week for Marriott reward points, RCI and using Marriott destination program. We bought dvc for the perks of early magic hours and being on property along with what we thought was the ease of selling and not necessarily losing money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!