Dvc waitlist chances for one night.....newbie

Kristi113

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I am is using family members DVC points to stay in December. We were able to get wilderness Lodge, but one of our nights was not available. We are waitlisted for one night in a one bedroom villa at Boulder Ridge for December 20. Can anyone tell me the odds of this coming through? I know it’s not an exact science, but any feedback on this would be seriously appreciated. We do have a back up, but definitely prefer if this will come through. Thanks for any help and answers. First time using Dvc.

Only reserving one night should give you better odds. Last week, I was hoping to add on one night at OKW in a 1 BR at the end of our vacation which at that point, was three and a half weeks or so out. The day I looked there was nothing but waitlist available and I didn't bother - the next morning I checked again and there it was! I just stalked DVC for two days and got lucky - so much about luck, but people do cancel and change plans. Good luck!

With a one-night request, your chances are significantly better than they would be if you were trying for a longer stay. There's really no way to know. Since you don't have a lot of time, it's good that you have a back-up. Another option is to book a DVC cash reservation (DVC members get a discount - and sometimes there are rooms available for cash that are not available for points.) If your waitlist comes in, you can cancel the cash reservation.

One other thing, you are allowed to have two waitlist requests going at the same time. Packing up and moving in the middle of a trip is a hassle, but you might want to try a second waitlist request at Copper Creek, or one with a different booking category (size or view) to increase your chances of staying nearby.

I would consider adding a 2nd waitlist request IF you are willing to move rooms.

Anything can happen. 1 night and 1 bedroom is probably the best possible case, the downside is, you are probably way down on the waitlist, so a room freeing up would have to not fit a lot of other people's WL requests.

Also, if you have a back up plan, and you would not have to adjust flights, I would set up the WL to expire as late as possible. I think a lot of WL requests are set to expire 31 days out, so 30 days out, you may jump up the list a lot. But that is just a theory. People switching resorts could lose points to holding if they switch to a less expensive room, hence 31 days out the cancel them. (At least that is my theory)

Keep checking, I have been trying to get a room over Marathon weekend and have pieced together most of the trip over time. Still looking for 2 days and only see one at most places. I’m convinced people wait to cancel, so 30 days out a room might show up.. certainly worth the try. Good luck

I've had luck with one night waitlists. I had a Pool/Garden studio at BWV in mid-November that came through, plus 3 one night reservations at VGC last October.

It does happen. I recently had 2 separate nights I needed to complete a week long stay come through on waitlist for December. I stalked the DVC site a few times a day and grabbed days to piece together a reservation as they came available then waited listed the last 2 days needed while continuing to stalk. when i had reserved all the days needed, I called Member services and had them link all the days into 1 week long reservation.

The chances for a one night, as already mentioned, is better than if you needed more. However, it is going to be a tough one and if the person who owns the pints has time, ask them to try to keep checking to see if it shows up to book outside the waitlist.

Just Friday night I was able to switch 2 nights in Dec...17th and 18th..from a LV studio at BLT to a 1 bedroom SV at BWV.

Checking often can lead you to get something, even when a waitlist is in place!

The problem with waiting for the 31-day window for people to cancel is that I like to book Advanced Dining Resvs at 60 days. (Nice restaurants are an important part of our vacation). So I have to have a room with confirmed reservation number at 60 days. If I switch room reservation numbers after that, don't I lose Advanced Dining Reservations since they are linked to the room?

I just had a studio at BRV/WL waitlist fill for Dec 5 - and that allowed me to release a VGF studio for the same night - so you just never know…

The problem with waiting for the 31-day window for people to cancel is that I like to book Advanced Dining Resvs at 60 days. (Nice restaurants are an important part of our vacation). So I have to have a room with confirmed reservation number at 60 days. If I switch room reservation numbers after that, don't I lose Advanced Dining Reservations since they are linked to the room?
maybe not if you call and have a dvc person switch it for you? Great question!

ADR’s are not linked to a room reservation. How else would people staying off site be able to make their’s?
Denise

Having the resort reservation opens the window to book ADRs for your length of stay, but the ADRs are not linked to that reservation. If you cancel or modify the reservation, the ADRs are not affected.

Oooo that's a relief! Thanks! But I still need something at 60 days to make ADRs for length of stay.

Last edited:
Only reserving one night should give you better odds. Last week, I was hoping to add on one night at OKW in a 1 BR at the end of our vacation which at that point, was three and a half weeks or so out. The day I looked there was nothing but waitlist available and I didn't bother - the next morning I checked again and there it was! I just stalked DVC for two days and got lucky - so much about luck, but people do cancel and change plans. Good luck!

Ya you have to stalk. I have been building a stay at boardwalk in December. So far i have 2/3 nights. It started with 0, but slowly i have been finding nights i need.

Having the resort reservation opens the window to book ADRs for your length of stay, but the ADRs are not linked to that reservation. If you cancel or modify the reservation, the ADRs are not affected.
If that's the case, then what's to keep someone from booking a Disney Hotel, getting ADRs for length of stay, then cancelling the Disney Hotel and booking Motel 6 offsite? You've got length of stay ADRs, but not staying onsite.

If that's the case, then what's to keep someone from booking a Disney Hotel, getting ADRs for length of stay, then cancelling the Disney Hotel and booking Motel 6 offsite? You've got length of stay ADRs, but not staying onsite.
Nothing. But you would have to give them a deposit and then wait for a refund after you cancel the reservation. Seems like a lot of effort to me, but then there is no restaurant reservation that I HAVE to have to enjoy my vacation. YMMV.

There are none we HAVE to have, but there are several restaurants onsite we enjoy on vacation and have no chance of getting apart from a length-of-stay ADR (i.e. Space 220).

So here's my plan to make length-of-stay ADRs at the 60-day window while waiting for DVC waitlist to come through (please feel free to suggest/advise/criticize). I've made a 7-night resv at a Disney value resort for the same time frame and paid the modest cash deposit. When my DVC waitlist finally matches, even inside the 60-day window, I will cancel the cash resv at the value resort and replace with DVC reservation. I understand the ADRs will then transfer to the DVC reservation. Sound like a plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts