DVC'ers and the DDP

eliza61

DIS Veteran
Let me say first off that this is in no way a scientific observation, just one of my general "swirling around in my head" type of question about my beloved WDW. I just returned from a trip that could have been entitled "guest behaving badly" I saw so many examples in 5 days of guest ranting and abusing cm's over the most ridiculous things. One in general is the DDP.

I thought this plan was supposed to make life easier for vactioneers, by allowing them to essentially prepay for their meals. Instead I saw servers get reemed out by guest when told they couldn't share (us 1 ts credit for 2 people) or when kids couldn't use child credits and eat off of the adult menu or when an item, wasn't included in the snack choice. And take a look at the trip planning boards, there are entire forums on how to beat the system.

What gives? :confused3 I know I'm generalizing, I tend to think of DVc'ers as a more gentle, kinder :hug: WDW guest. Do we do this? or am I just seeing the effects of an upswing in rudeness as a whole?

I think it is a combination of factors. DVCers, as a whole, tend to be more laid-back vacationers, though I've seen some DVC meltdowns as well. It isn't a "once in a lifetime" trip for us, as compared to many other families.

I think people who don't travel as often have higher, often impossible expectations, everything should be "perfect," but the world as well as WDW, isn't perfect. Many folks also view the DDP as some great $$$ saving gimmick, when in fact, it seems to be a way to pre-package the vacation like an all-inclusive resort. And all-inclusives, in reality, seldom are a financial bargain, they are a service, a convenience you pay for.

Hi Eliza61,

Just so you don't lose faith in all of us;) , we just got back and used the DDP. We know the rules and we don't try and share. We even tried to pay for DS (age 2) at 2 family style buffets. They brought out meals just for him, so we felt we should pay but were told no that because of his age he was included. When he couldn't share with us we told the cm that he was not on our DDP and we would need to pay cash for his. We also had such WONDERFUL service from several different cms that I gave them cash on top of the included gratuity.

I feel bad for the cms that get guest who do not inform themselves and then take it out on others. I too see that in the parks:sad2:.

Hope this helps you feel a little better!

It isn't a "once in a lifetime" trip for us, as compared to many other families.

I think this is the key. A lot of people go to Disney thinking of it as a "Once in a lifetime" trip. People think if they are "Paying" so much to be at the parks they are entitled to do anything they want.

Also I think a lot of families are prepared for the stress of living in a studio for a week. Having to share one bathroom, share one TV, and try to do everything together.

In a lot of ways DVC makes people more laid back. We are coming back, anything we don't do this time around there is always next time. Not to say DVCers can't melt down, as we found out in the DVC meltdown thread a few weeks ago.

johno

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter