DVCFan Blog Fonts

glvsav37

DIS Veteran
Sorry, I know this is not s DisUnplugged issue, but I don't think this would get seen in the DVC sub forum.

Does anyone else have issues reading the DVCfan blog with their condensed serif font they use in the article copy—esp on mobile? I have an iPhone Max, the largest one and its still tough to see, and I'm of average age with fine eyesight.

Generally as design rule of thumb, body text should not be condensed, it gets hard to read in dense paragraph form. Plus, its not a solid black, its about 75% black which when placed over the tan background mutes the font even further.

Sorry to critique, but as a designer by profession, I'm finding it an odd design choice, esp with the wide range of DVC member's ages who would read this blog.

I love all the content, but please Pete, consider changing the body copy to a standard width font, or at least try making it a solid black.

I'll go back to organizing my black turtlenecks and debating the proper PMS color of grass now...lol

I checked the blog article from June 11, 2019 to see an example. Understand, I permanently wear pretty strong reading glasses (cheap ones, though) without which I have to squint through slits to read even large text. I also have an iPhone Xs Max.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the font. It isn't the easiest online font I've read, to be sure. I do have "bold type" enabled in my phone's accessibility settings but I don't think that affects website fonts, at least not the size. In any event, I tapped on the "show reader view" setting in the "address bar" (aka URL) which removed the background and enlarged the font. That was much easier to read.

I checked the blog article from June 11, 2019 to see an example. Understand, I permanently wear pretty strong reading glasses (cheap ones, though) without which I have to squint through slits to read even large text. I also have an iPhone Xs Max.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the font. It isn't the easiest online font I've read, to be sure. I do have "bold type" enabled in my phone's accessibility settings but I don't think that affects website fonts, at least not the size. In any event, I tapped on the "show reader view" setting in the "address bar" (aka URL) which removed the background and enlarged the font. That was much easier to read.
thx...even reducing the tan background would help b/c the density of the tan reduces the amount of black/white contrast, taking even more away from an already tinted font. Contrast has become a very topical issue in web design these days b/c the ADA has gotten very involved with monitoring web sites for accessibility issues.

I've seen a few attempts at those lawsuits (and thought one was filed against Disney a while back) but without agreed upon (or regulations) design standards, the lawsuits tend to wither.

I've seen a few attempts at those lawsuits (and thought one was filed against Disney a while back) but without agreed upon (or regulations) design standards, the lawsuits tend to wither.
They are gaining more teeth. A few things go beyond design, like having the proper tags for images and headings. But visual contrast—in body text and button colors— is a big one as well. There are tools you can use to see if the contrast meets ADA standards. The agency I use to work for (I own my own now), made it standard about 2 years ago to have all sites designed with ADA standards in mind.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to claim any ADA action on the DVCfan bog. I didnt even run anything through the checkers for fear that it could put the site "on its radar." Its just my personal observation and opinion as a fan and designer myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!