DXDP kids must eat off kids menu

maybe it is because on the DXDP there are ONLY credits -meaning you can use them for quick service or sit down restaurants? The worst way to use a credit would be a child's meal at a QS but the best use would be to use a child's credit on an adult meal.

if I can put all 3 of my grandchildren = ages 5 5 4 , my dh and myself on the deluxe plan in our 2br at AKL and then put the other 4 adults in the studio at AKL and use all the credits to pay for everyones dining then that is a plus for me. that gives us enough credits to have 8 meals each so we can eat a couple of signatures and and essentially break even on the cost. I do not feel like I am cheating the system = just getting good use out of my dining credits. I have book BOG =which is going to 2 credits- and CRT for a MVMCP night -o I may book Ohana or the Luau but I will probably just book regular table service for 1 more meal and let the others use the credits how they like- be it QS or sit down- we are staying 5 nights so that is 75 credits for 9 people -8 meals each and if I pay oop for kids meals at one of the restaurants or they split a meal - I have shared meals with my adult daughter at plenty of restaurants and used one credit so we will good to go on the amount of credits we need.

I my dh and I don't need a refillable mug so we will give those mugs to the other room. I have never bought the deluxe plan but this time it just works.

Oh, I completely understand how it works and what you describe is perfectly allowable the way things are currently setup for the deluxe plan. My point was that it would be an easy thing for them to change and enforce by just splitting up the credits in the pool by adult and child if in fact they wanted to limit children to only ordering off of the kids menu. There would still be no distinction between QS and TS on deluxe, but they can be used interchangeably anyway, but as you said clearly not as much value to eat at QS on a deluxe dining plan credit.

As guests, we really just need to go into a restaurant expecting that the policy can be randomly enforced at any given time that way it's not shocking or upsetting if/when it does happen.
That's how it's been for the reverse method of Disney "adults" (anyone over 9) ordering off the kids menu at TS restaurants. Some restaurants don't care who orders off the kids menu and they allow anyone of any age to do so. Others strictly enforce the "guests 9 and under" rule. My DD ordered off the kids menu for a few years after she turned 10 and we just rolled with the punches. Sometimes she was allowed the kids meal and sometimes they would make us buy an adult portion.

I got to say I always thought that it didn't make sense with a dining plan to let kids order off adult menu when they paid kids prices for the plan.. I mean you expect to pay less for kids of course and then you want them to eat the same as adults?
I wonder if its possible for the kids who need adult meals for parents to purchase adult ddp for them or maybe ddp isn't for that family then...

That's a very good point and one I've overlooked until now. You are right, if they are separated the adult from child TS credits on the regular plan, there is really no reason why they can't do the same on the deluxe plan. It's a different category of credit, but the same logic applies. Of course, they could do that for QS too, if they really wanted. I find the inconsistency on this very odd and makes me curious to know the logic behind the decision making on the whole thing.
Here’s the thing, or, at least, my reasoning. “Children must order from the children’s menu when one is available.” The only places that don’t have children’s menus are a handful of QS locations (like Casey’s). Because of that, QS credits have to be flexible enough to purchase a meal at those locations; adult or child credit, they all order from the same menu. That’s why (in my opinion), they can’t separate the QS credits. And, since Deluxe meal credits are valid at QS locations, they have to follow that same logic. Changing would require new menus, new programming on the cash registers, a lot of employee training, or a combination of those. Until the lost revenue exceeds those costs, we won’t see a change. With the recent ability to redeem credits for other people, I think it will get here sooner rather than later.

If an adult goes to QS he can order 4 adult meals. If you sit down at a restaurant, they know the kids are on reservation and want them to order off the kids menu. They will allow you to get desserts off the adult menu though.

We will be traveling with our niece who is 12 and a very picky eater, and our 9yo daughter who eats everything. We all have the deluxe plan. Will our daughter be able to order using nieces credits and niece order kids menu?

We will be traveling with our niece who is 12 and a very picky eater, and our 9yo daughter who eats everything. We all have the deluxe plan. Will our daughter be able to order using nieces credits and niece order kids menu?
Can't see why not:).

Last edited:

Just popping in to note that at Flying Fish this week on DxDP, they actively encouraged my 9 year old kiddo to order from the adult menu for anything he thought he might want instead of the kids menu.

Just popping in to note that at Flying Fish this week on DxDP, they actively encouraged my 9 year old kiddo to order from the adult menu for anything he thought he might want instead of the kids menu.
Of course. Their tip is bigger!

Oh, absolutely! I just wanted to make sure people knew that the OP’s experience was not a definite change in policy.

To clarify, the Disney written policy is exactly OP's experience: children must order from the children's menu. It seems the unofficial practice has been that some servers skirt the rules on this and let kids order adult meals, but the policy is very definitely the OP's experience.

To clarify, the Disney written policy is exactly OP's experience: children must order from the children's menu. It seems the unofficial practice has been that some servers skirt the rules on this and let kids order adult meals, but the policy is very definitely the OP's experience.
You are absolutely correct; my semantics, however, were not ;). What I meant to say was that there has been no apparent official change in the way the policy is actually enforced, since the OP’s experience seemed to indicate that there had been a definite shift in that regard.

Wow so I never knew this about the DxDDP and I know there is a lot of credits already with it but does that mean that if I have a kid under 9 on my reservation for lets say 5 nights 6 days that I would have 15 credits that are added to my account but doesn't actually have to be used as a child credit so I could really just pay OOP and save those 15 credits for someone else? I would think if two families are going that they could total expose this big time.

Glad to see folks are experiencing what has been standard w kids being able to use the credits any way the family wants.

Disney's web site even seems to indicate they are pooled:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-deluxe-dining-plan/

I am wondeering if the servers are getting the dining plans confused, because while this is true for the Deluxe dining plan, the regular plan does say that kids have to order off the kids menu. So, I think you need to be very clear you are on the deluxe plan and have the website at the ready if you are doing this.

Only on the regualr and quick service dining plans, that policy is not written anywhere that I can find on the deluxe plan.

Disney's web site even seems to indicate they are pooled:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-deluxe-dining-plan/

I am wondeering if the servers are getting the dining plans confused, because while this is true for the Deluxe dining plan, the regular plan does say that kids have to order off the kids menu. So, I think you need to be very clear you are on the deluxe plan and have the website at the ready if you are doing this.

You need to read the fine print:

What's Included

Everyone in the party ages 3 and over will receive the following each night of their package stay:

• 3 Meals
  • 2 Snacks
Each Guest ages 3 and over will receive a refillable drink mug, which is eligible for refills at self-service beverage islands at Quick-Service locations at any Disney Resort hotel. Guests ages 3 to 9 must order from a children’s menu, where available.

Only on the regualr and quick service dining plans, that policy is not written anywhere that I can find on the deluxe plan.

It’s on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-deluxe-dining-plan/

Pretty near the top of the page:

What's Included
Everyone in the party ages 3 and over will receive the following each night of their package stay:

• 3 Meals
  • 2 Snacks
Each Guest ages 3 and over will receive a refillable drink mug, which is eligible for refills at self-service beverage islands at Quick-Service locations at any Disney Resort hotel. Guests ages 3 to 9 must order from a children’s menu, where available.

It’s on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disney-deluxe-dining-plan/

Pretty near the top of the page:

What's Included

• 3 Meals
  • 2 Snacks
Funny, doesn't show on my screen? Perhaps because I am using a phone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts