DxDP or DDP? Trying to Figure Out What's Best

Christine

DIS Veteran
Good morning!! We are getting very close to our big, group trip (16 ppl) and it's about time to make the dining plan decision. If you've read any of my previous threads, you'll know that I am the "director" of this group trip which consists of my family and my extended family. Part of group has not been to Disney since the 1990s. This is a big trip for them for various reasons, and for other various reasons, they have not been involved much at all with the planning.

So for this "subgroup" I have 9 ppl. They are 7 adults and 2 children (ages 3 & 4). My cousin is paying for most of the group of 9's expenses and for ease, she is pretty set on getting one of the dining plans. The rooms are as follows:
Room 1: 3 adults, 2 children (2 of the 3 adults are eaters/drinkers, and one adult is picky)
Room 2: 2 adults (eaters/drinkers)
Room 3: 2 adults (both have health issues and don't eat much. One of them, due to Crohn's will probably eat light at every meal).

One option is to get the DDP for Rooms 1 & 2 at a cost of $3441.69.
2nd option is DxDP for Room 1 to be shared across all 3 rooms at $3033.87

I've done some calculations and I was leaning toward the standard plan, but now I'm not sure.

So far, they have the following dining plans:

Arrival night: Citrico's Birthday Dinner: If on DxDP, they could use 14 credits here (paying for kids OOP). But man, that's a LOT of apps and desserts we probably wouldn't need as we've ordered a custom cake. But I thought maybe the light eater in Room 3 could not order a meal and eat the apps. If on DDP, everyone would just pay OOP.

Day 2: BoG QS breakfast - Use of 9 credits on DxDP or use of 7 QS on regular DDP with the two light eaters paying OOP.
Day 2: Chef Mickey's Buffet: Use of 9 TS credits on both plans.

Day 3: No real plans yet. Four adults from Rooms 1 & 2 will be going to Universal. Plan is to come back in time for dinner. We have an ADR at the GF Cafe for dinner. So if the DxDP was used, that would be 9 of the 15 TS credits used for this day (or 7 if the kids don't want to eat). Otherwise, they'd use credits from the DDP.

Day 4: Epcot Day: No plans yet but plan to hit the F&W. But still looking for a dinner option (everything is booked).

Day 5: Animal Kingdom Day: Again no plans yet.

Day 6: HS day. 'Ohana character breakfast - same thoughts as above. The Wave dinner

Day 7: Water park maybe. Then MVMCP. Again, no plans for them here.

As you can see, I have a *LOT* of gaps in dining for them. Mainly because we booked our rooms within the 180 day window and getting a reservation for 9 or even breaking them up has been tough. I plan on "hoping for the best" closer to the trip as people change plans and cancel. I have had luck with that before. So basically, there WILL be at least one TS per day, just not sure where.

The DxDP seems like it will cover everyone across the party of 9; however, not sure if it's the best choice for the extra $400. I can only analyze so much and I've hit the wall with figuring it out and providing her any advice.

What would you do?

IMHO, skip the dining plan and pay out of pocket. Will either plan save you any money?

My cousin, who is footing the bills here, doesn't want to pay out of pocket. She'd like to break even and have the "ease" of the plan for her group of 9 to use. Since they are spread across 3 rooms and may be in separate places, she'd just like them to feel they could eat what they want.

My cousin, who is footing the bills here, doesn't want to pay out of pocket. She'd like to break even and have the "ease" of the plan for her group of 9 to use. Since they are spread across 3 rooms and may be in separate places, she'd just like them to feel they could eat what they want.
Understood. This is the first time I've heard a good explanation for the "convenience" of a dining plan. May or may not save money but it will probably make things easier.

Understood. This is the first time I've heard a good explanation for the "convenience" of a dining plan. May or may not save money but it will probably make things easier.

Exactly! I think it's definitely a convenience thing for her. I've tried talking to her about probably saving money by not getting it but she's definitely trying to do at least 1 TS per day, a few character meals, etc, and she's got several drinkers in her party so she'd rather not have everyone worrying about what they can order on "mom's dime" and I think with those issues, she'll at least break even. But I'm just really thrown about what would be the best plan for the group (DxDP versus regular). Not sure how to advise her. I've got two pages of notes that I made this weekend on cost and then midway through I just lost it.

I would get the regular DDP for everyone. The reason being that if you get the deluxe for one room, they always have to be there to get food for everyone. Every snack, every TS meal, someone with a magicband that has the food on it has to pay. With a large group of adults that likely won't be together all the time, stick to the DDP.

I would get the regular DDP for everyone. The reason being that if you get the deluxe for one room, they always have to be there to get food for everyone. Every snack, every TS meal, someone with a magicband that has the food on it has to pay. With a large group of adults that likely won't be together all the time, stick to the DDP.

Great point. I will bring that up with my cousin, although, I'm betting she'll say that with the exception of the Universal day (none of them going to Universal would be in the DxDP), the nine of them will be together...and I believe they will. My family consists of the remaining 7 of the party of 16 and we will definitely be going our separate ways from them, but I do believe they will stick together through it all.

In your scenari, unless everyone will be together for all meals and snacks, you won't be able to use the Deluxe Dining Plan. Just so you know, unless the meals are character dining, buffets, all you care to eat, prix e fix, you can share meals. In other words, just a regular table service or quick service, meals can be shared.

Well, after further discussion this morning, the idea of buying $3,000 worth of gift cards (discounted with the Target RedCard) really appealed to her. It will probably save some money, give her way more flexibility in dining, and she will have everything charged to the rooms and pay the room charges off nightly with the gift cards. I think in that way, she can just tell everyone to do what they want and then she can handle the food costs.

I think that sounds like a good choice for the situation. I would love to hear how it ends up working out if you would be willing to update.

I think that sounds like a good choice for the situation. I would love to hear how it ends up working out if you would be willing to update.

Definitely. I may even try it myself for my party of 5. I mean, I'm at Target all the time and if I can save $100.00 for little trouble than why not.

Gift card deal has the 15% off cards in stock if you want to try that. They go quickly tho.

Gift card deal has the 15% off cards in stock if you want to try that. They go quickly tho.

Yeah, I see they still have some but it looks like it can take them some time to get them out to you. Probably too risky since our trip is only 2 weeks out.

Yeah, I see they still have some but it looks like it can take them some time to get them out to you. Probably too risky since our trip is only 2 weeks out.
Yes it seems to take almost 2 weeks to get them, so that’s too close. Target emails them to me same day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts