EA Thoughts

Hawkeye314

Been Around For A While
Just returned from a trip and used my EA status for the first time. I travel somewhat frequently on business and have always rented from Hertz, Dollar, Avis, etc., depending on the cheapest price. Using the Disney Club discounts and coupons and my free EA membership, I actually got a cheaper rate using National than anything else I tried. So, I have no complaints. But...

Traveling with three kids for a 12 day stay meant I needed a lot of room .. especially for all of the luggage, so I reserved a full-sized car and hoped I would get a break on the EA and get something like a PT cruiser or a small SUV (we had a lot of stuff!)

Well, that didn't work out but I did get a large Buick Century from the full-sized aisle which was certainly fine once we unloaded all of the stuff at the hotel.

But, using the EA meant that I had to schlep all of the kids and all of the luggage through the airport, across the street and up and down the EA aisle until I selected the car I wanted. If I had rented from Hertz, their bus would have picked me up outside and dropped me off at the car. Much less sweating, cursing and schlepping to start off the trip.

I guess, in retrospect, I could have left the wife and kids at the luggage claim, gone across the street to rent the car and driven back into the airport and picked them up. But, I'm not sure I could get too close to them because of security restrictions.

Anyways, dropping the car off at the end of the trip was quite easy ( did drop the family and luggage off and did curbside check-in and then returned the car and met them in the Disney store).

Having now used National, I would use them again but only if the price was the best. Otherwise, I think any other company is just about as convenient(except Alamo which can be deadly in Orlando!).

Just my $.02.

Hawkeye 314,

I agree with your comments but have one question. Why do you and others on this board feel that a PT Cruiser is a "big" car. I thought it was just a souped-up Neon. Am I wrong?

-NL

Originally posted by Ned Land
Why do you and others on this board feel that a PT Cruiser is a "big" car. I thought it was just a souped-up Neon. Am I wrong?

You are right, basically.. The PT Cruiser is built on the Neon Platform. The Wheelbase and basic dimensions are very similar between the 2 as well as the engine, etc., The PT Cruiser sits up much higher and is boxier which gives the perception that it is larger. It does seems to have a more cargo room in though, because you can stack things up higher in the cargo area since it is a hatchback.

I'm going in a couple weeks.
2 questions:
1) If I send the wife & kids to baggage claim, and go get the car from National, how close will I get back with the car for the "pickup"? I assume I could pick them up curbside.
2) I am going with 4 small kids (under 10). Reserved a full size, how many did you see in EA without the console in the front seat (thus allowing 3 in front / 3 in back). Just want to know what my chances are....

Thanks.

The Buick Century we had in May had the console in the front with a bench seat, but it could be flipped up and had a seatbelt underneath. I left it flipped up so that I could put my tote bag in the middle. So even if you see a console, see if it flips up.

I'm not sure about the baggage claim pickup area, I've never done that. But I would think you would just have to circle around after you exit the garage to get back to the baggage area. Check the map of MCO here:
http://www.orlandoairports.net:/goaa/ops/term.htm

Mine worked the same (with the front console up) but I should caution that i believe that it is illegal (or at least unsafe) to children under 10 in the front seat.

I agree that the PT Cruiser is really a small car but the hatchback would have given me more flexibility with cramming luggage in.

To get back to the baggage claim area to pick up your family just follow the signs that say return to terminal. (Be sure you know which terminal). You can pull right up. You must be actively loading and be with your car!!! So if your family is not there, you may have to drive around several times. (I think it would be easier to rent one of the little luggage carts or tip the skycap to carry your luggage over!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter