Earbuds - not just for listening to stuff

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if this was just me who does this :p

I was working out at lunch yesterday in the small fitness center we have in our building and once I started my workout, I realized that my wireless ear buds were dead - I guess I forgot to charge them. :oops:

Being the anti-social person I am, however, I put them in my ears even though they weren't connected to anything. The reason? Basically, making sure nobody around me tried making small talk when I was working out. Was that wrong of me? ;) :D

Nope, not me. DW and I go to the gym early in the morning...4:30am. It's usually rather empty and the same people usually come in at various points. They know not to talk to us. And for the random people who show up from time to time, I don't worry about it. If they try to talk to me, I'm not rude but also pretty clear I'm there to work out and not talk. I don't like ear buds in when working out, except for the very little cardio I do, it just gets annoying. Though I don't like the music that's on either, but i ignore it.

Nope not at all.
When I go to the gym I'm not there to socialize I'm there to work out, I would have done the same thing.

The usual gym I go to at night is more of a class-based (bootcamp, kickboxing, etc.) gym, so I never wear earbuds for those classes. The gym is also more social and generally speaking, most members know each other, so it's a little different.

But for a 30-minute elliptical workout in a room with 4 machines and a handful of weights, especially among co-workers - I try to do as little talking as possible. :)

I've done it when I fly! I don't like strangers and I don't like small talk. A good way to avoid that is to pretend to be reading or listening/watching something.

Just wondering if this was just me who does this :p

I was working out at lunch yesterday in the small fitness center we have in our building and once I started my workout, I realized that my wireless ear buds were dead - I guess I forgot to charge them. :oops:

Being the anti-social person I am, however, I put them in my ears even though they weren't connected to anything. The reason? Basically, making sure nobody around me tried making small talk when I was working out. Was that wrong of me? ;) :D

Yup! I do this and have done this too! I wish I could walk around at work like that too so no one would talk to me LOL

I do it at work - in fact, I'm doing it now.

me too :rolleyes1
Theres a co worker I dont talk to so I usually listen to music while I work. I only wear one ear bud though and have the music on low, just in case a manager needs to talk to me. Many times, Ive just been sat there with my ear bud in and no music on ....

I have tried that back when I was still taking the bus it did not work for me a weirdo just proceeded to ask the most personal questions so glad I am off the bus

I used to get terrible headaches when descending for landing. Ever since I started using earbuds on my flights, I no longer have issues with the pressure in my ears. I don't really know how or why it works but I am so thankful that it does. I suppose I make myself unavailable for communication with others so I guess it's a win/win.

I have one earbud in at the moment even though they're switched off. I don't want to talk to my coworker and he just finished eating and he's one of those hideously loud eaters that make me squeamish so I was trying to drown him out a bit...

I have tried that back when I was still taking the bus it did not work for me a weirdo just proceeded to ask the most personal questions so glad I am off the bus
You just shake your head and point at the earbud closest to the annoying person. Don't make eye contact, look straight ahead. Or get up and walk away, ideally up to the bus driver.

I used to wear headphones without listening to music while doing yard work to discourage the overly friendly neighbor from coming over to shoot the breeze. He moved away several years ago.

I have noise canceling earbuds that I wear when flying. I also wear them under my helmet when driving long-distance in the 3 Wheeler. I can plug them into the walkie talkie to communicate with my wife in the lead car.

LOL

I only work in an office one day a week mainly so that my team can get together face to face once in a while. We "borrow' space from another division, and they set up up in a conference room. My co-workers are SO loud and chatty, and one of then always sits next to me and all day long it is the same thing: "Can I bother you for a minute?", "Do you have a second to chat?", "Isn't this weather awful/wonderful/crazy/cold/hot/etc", "Remember the time...", and many other commentaries that have nothing to do with anything.

So I bring earbuds so I can pretend that I can't hear anybody when they talk and I don't have to get into the conversation yet not seem aloof and rude either. Most of the time I don't even put music on lol

Yesterday, I lost them on the way into the building. I went to put them in after the 10th time the lady next to me wanted to talk about her elderly mother's foot sores, and panicked at the thought of having to sit there for the next 3.5 hours with no way to pretend I couldn't hear her, but luckily someone had found them and put them in the coffee room near our conference room. I was never more glad to see a pair of pink earbuds in my life! I actually did listen to music the rest of the afternoon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter