Early morning, no Disboards

I have noticed this yesterday early morning. When I wake up at night(light sleeper) I check things on the computer and I guess staring at the computer screen gets me tired again. So yesterday early morning between 4 and 5 a.m. I tried to check the Dis Boards there was an error message and the boards were down for about 1 hour.

It happens at 6pm in Australia every night - right when I usually want to sit down and Dis!

This really confuses me, as I work extensively in this industry... It really shouldn't be happening.

I got a general response to this question in http://www.disboards.com/threads/downtime-for-new-servers.3413710/#post-53750224, which (paraphrasing here) basically said the current solution is what their hosting company provides and it's a take-it-or-leave-it choice. Also the site traffic at that time is so low, and it's all non-US visitors anyway, so it's not really a concern that they feel they should thrown much time or money at.

Andre

I got a general response to this question in http://www.disboards.com/threads/downtime-for-new-servers.3413710/#post-53750224, which (paraphrasing here) basically said the current solution is what their hosting company provides and it's a take-it-or-leave-it choice. Also the site traffic at that time is so low, and it's all non-US visitors anyway, so it's not really a concern that they feel they should thrown much time or money at.

Andre
Hmm, Thanks for that answer. I am from the USA but it does seem a bit unfair to those members on this site from Europe and Australia and other countries in different time zones. :confused:

Andre

The thing that annoys me about it is that it has changed from 30 minutes before the change over of the forum software into 90 minutes since then...

I have noticed this yesterday early morning. When I wake up at night(light sleeper) I check things on the computer and I guess staring at the computer screen gets me tired again. So yesterday early morning between 4 and 5 a.m. I tried to check the Dis Boards there was an error message and the boards were down for about 1 hour.
I know I'm waking up a dead thread but I experience this every night when I wake up and check things on the DIS. Instead of starting a new thread right away I figured I'd check to see if there was one already started for this problem. Am I understanding this correct? Between 4-5:30 every night the boards are down?

I know I'm waking up a dead thread but I experience this every night when I wake up and check things on the DIS. Instead of starting a new thread right away I figured I'd check to see if there was one already started for this problem. Am I understanding this correct? Between 4-5:30 every night the boards are down?
You are correct.

You are correct.

The admins don't seem to be able to do anything about it, the backup regime is not under their control and the server providers don't seem too bothered about 90 mins per day outage. It's especially annoying if you are not on American time though, when the DIS shows just a plain text fatal database fault error from 9am-10:30am daily if you are a UK user

Andre

Last edited:
Dragging up an old thread, but has anyone else noticed the daily downtime for backups has been getting a lot worse over the past few weeks, regularly not coming back up until around 11am UK (6am Florida). That's two hours per day of downtime, or around 90% average uptime which for any website is a pretty poor reliability record regardless of the time of day if happens (I get concerned if my own site is offline for more than about half an hour a month).

Andre

Dragging up an old thread, but has anyone else noticed the daily downtime for backups has been getting a lot worse over the past few weeks, regularly not coming back up until around 11am UK (6am Florida). That's two hours per day of downtime, or around 90% average uptime which for any website is a pretty poor reliability record regardless of the time of day if happens (I get concerned if my own site is offline for more than about half an hour a month).

Andre

Yes, I noticed it a few time. It used to come up at around 11:15 to 11:30am CET (6 hours ahead of EST). Now it's offline until after 12pm for me.

But I don't think anyone cares. Just like this is the only website I know that has so many issues with redirecting ads.

Yes, I notice it daily. I have time to sit and drink a cup of coffee at 5:15am before the kids are up and boards never work!

Well, how many times can they say "we're down for backup at that time"?

I guess until such time as they consider that what is now a two-hour daily outage is actually a problem, and feel that a better backup regime needs to be developed. Do you know of any other major websites that would deem 10% downtime every day as acceptable?

It should be very possible to do a live database SQL Server backup without needing to lock the tables, or the additional IO load levels taking the system offline. Especially if that backup is done during offpeak times (which it is currently).

However the simpler solution is to just knock the system offline and do a full backup at some point when only the Brits are around. ;)

Andre

I guess until such time as they consider that what is now a two-hour daily outage is actually a problem, and feel that a better backup regime needs to be developed. Do you know of any other major websites that would deem 10% downtime every day as acceptable?

It should be very possible to do a live database SQL Server backup without needing to lock the tables, or the additional IO load levels taking the system offline. Especially if that backup is done during offpeak times (which it is currently).

However the simpler solution is to just knock the system offline and do a full backup at some point when only the Brits are around. ;)

Andre

It's not only the Brits, but also the Germans like me! ;-) And the early East Coast risers, the late at night West Coast posters, the Australians...

Yes it is getting progressively worse and as a night shift nurse who takes her break at 4am. Insanely irritating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!