Early sept a good time for wdw

old feller

DIS Veteran
We are going to wdw the day after labor day (tuesday) 2019 for 10 days. Does anyone have experience with this time ? Trying to get a feel for wait times .We have been late September and are aware of the heat and crowds. Hopefully early September will be less crowded. Thanks for any help.

We are going to wdw the day after labor day (tuesday) 2019 for 10 days. Does anyone have experience with this time ? Trying to get a feel for wait times .We have been late September and are aware of the heat and crowds. Hopefully early September will be less crowded. Thanks for any help.

Remains among the least-crowded times of the year.

I was there the week of Labor Day in 2017 and crowds were pretty low. Didn’t wait more than about a half hour for anything. If a line was longer than that we tried for a FP or came back another time. There was the threat of a hurricane that week, which may have affected crowds some (definitely did the second weekend). But I’ve been around this time a couple of other times and it’s typically a lower crowd time. I will be going the same week again this year.

Just my opinion, but I think that very small window in early Sept is one of the few true lower (note, not low) crowd times around. We've done several smaller trips around a MNSSHP during that time the last few years. If we didn't have school schedules to deal with, I'd absolutely do a long trip like yours probably every year.

Pros - More manageable crowds, among the lowest resort rates of the year, resort discounts are sometimes easier to find, good time to catch a MNSSHP and F&W (F&W used to start later in Sept but since last year has started end of Aug)

Cons - Hot as blazes, free dining does a good job at filling rooms and gobbling up ADR times, some earlier park closing times (more like Jan/Feb, although this varies by the day)

I think it's important to not let the "low crowd" expectations get too carried away in your head - it's always some shade of crowded. It can just be more manageable overall.

Happy planning!

We've gone Sept or Jan the last several trips. We're returning this year to September. The two times we went in January and the one day we went in February, it was too cold for our liking. Seems the buildings down there aren't meant for the colder temps (avg 50s with drizzle a lot of the time), and we could never really warm up. While the scorching heat of our July and September trips was also something that had to be managed, it was easier. Go to parks early, then nap/pool time, then return for early dinner and evening in the parks. It rains a lot in September, so bring a poncho. There will be more refurbs than other times of the year outside Jan/Feb. However, all of that being said, we'd rather have high humidity, daily showers, and refurbs with lower crowds than the inverse.

As others have said, you'll likely experience the lowest crowds of the year. ADRs are more difficult to come by at this time due to Free Dining. It's hot and humid, but, in my opinion, it's a good trade-off give the low crowds. Park hours are reduced, especially given the numerous MNSSHP that will likely be held during that time.

As others have said, you'll likely experience the lowest crowds of the year. ADRs are more difficult to come by at this time due to Free Dining. It's hot and humid, but, in my opinion, it's a good trade-off give the low crowds. Park hours are reduced, especially given the numerous MNSSHP that will likely be held during that time.

I haven’t had any trouble making ADRs. I’ve been changing things too much actually.

I think it's a great time to go, crowd wise. School is back in session virtually everywhere, and most people aren't taking their kids out yet.

We went that week last year, and the crowds were very low. However, Irma was in town, and she kept a lot of people away, but even when there isn't a hurricane, the week after Labor Day is one of the slowest weeks of the year.

I will be there September 3-14 (we always go in September) but I am mentally preparing myself for bigger crowds than normal because of when Rosh Hashanah falls this year. I remember in 2015 when it fell a few days after Labor Day (like it does this year), crowds were definitely crazier than usual.

I am hoping I am wrong but I would rather go in expecting chaos and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around!

I will be there September 3-14 (we always go in September) but I am mentally preparing myself for bigger crowds than normal because of when Rosh Hashanah falls this year. I remember in 2015 when it fell a few days after Labor Day (like it does this year), crowds were definitely crazier than usual.

I am hoping I am wrong but I would rather go in expecting chaos and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around!
Sept.30 ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter