Early sept a good time for wdw

We are going to wdw the day after labor day (tuesday) 2019 for 10 days. Does anyone have experience with this time ? Trying to get a feel for wait times .We have been late September and are aware of the heat and crowds. Hopefully early September will be less crowded. Thanks for any help.

I got a promo email below yesterday for the week of the 3rd so I'm guessing they must really need to drum up some resort business too. Wish we could do it but with kids in school, it's not really an option and the other no go is the promo was for CBR, not staying there even with a good discount until the construction is completed.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 35
I got a promo email below yesterday for the week of the 3rd so I'm guessing they must really need to drum up some resort business too. Wish we could do it but with kids in school, it's not really an option and the other no go is the promo was for CBR, not staying there even with a good discount until the construction is completed.
It is also available for pretty much all the deluxe resorts. You just have to call for quotes.

With the F&W starting at the end of August. Epcot on the weekends will be very busy with locals. We are going for FD Sept. 5 to 12 and will going to Epcot during the week.

We went last Aug/Sept (Labor Day weekend) and it was a good time to go. Got a good deal on our room and crowds weren't bad. I assume the crowds would be even better the following week. It was crazy hot though. We tried to do F&W and barely made it halfway around the world showcase because we were afraid my kids would overheat. My son was an infant though...if it had been just me and my husband, I would have toughed it out.

As a pp mentioned, even though it probably won’t happen again at the same time, Sept. is peak hurricane season and that’s the week Irma hit. Our trip was cut short due to Irma and it was a big bummer.

Our Sunday flight was already cancelled on Wednesday and we couldn’t get an earlier flight. We didn’t want to waste DVC points just to ride it out, plus we didn’t know when we would even get a flight home. So, we rented a car to drive 20+ hours home. Rebooked to “finish” the trip in May. DVC returned the points we did not use and refunded us for unused days on our park tickets.

We have traveled that week a few times and enjoyed it. Always manageable crowds and we don’t mind the hot/humid weather. We always knew the hurricane risk was there. Well, this time it actually happened to us so it definitely gives us pause about going in Sept. again.

We've gone that week the last 2 years and loved it, more so in 2016 because we didn't have to cut our trip short, due to a hurricane like we did in 2017. That is the only thing with September - stressing over hurricanes. We were so bummed that we had to drive home 3 days early, so we said we are taking a break from September for a while. Crowd wise though, it is wonderful! The actual weekend it is a bit more crowded but after Labor Day, the crowds disappear. The heat is brutal though. I think we were spoiled in 2016 - it barely rained and it wasn't brutally hot like it was last year.
Just curious why you left...our trip will be paid for when we go...I know they closed one day??

Definitely one of the lowest crowd times all year. This does not mean empty, just means most manageable as far as wait times.

It will still be very hot, that can be a pro or con depending. I go the week before Labour Day and through the weekend and enjoy the heat.

The only real con is you are in the heart of hurricane season. It's never caused much of an issue for us and based on history, very low likelihood for it to have a major impact, but the risk is there. It just means having good travel insurance is worthwhile and being prepared for last minute flight changes are in order.

Just curious why you left...our trip will be paid for when we go...I know they closed one day??

The Irma predictions were for a category 5 hurricane to hit, and a potential path for the storm was through Orlando. Category 5 is the most intense and dangerous... it's Katrina-level bad. Anyone who could get out of Florida did in order to stay safe. My family got literally stuck, we couldn't get a flight out (they were booked solid and then the airports closed) and driving out wasn't very feasible due to intense gridlock, gas shortages, and water bottle shortages. We wanted to leave in order to stay safe, and when we realized we had to stay, we were not only worried about our own safety but about how long we would be stuck in Florida. If the airport had been badly damaged or if there was a lot of damage to the roads, we could have been stuck there for weeks. As it was, we had to add 4 nights on to our stay. There were 134 people killed by Irma, 72 in Florida. The parks being closed was the absolute least of our worries. Anyone who could get out ahead of the storm did.

The Irma predictions were for a category 5 hurricane to hit, and a potential path for the storm was through Orlando. Category 5 is the most intense and dangerous... it's Katrina-level bad. Anyone who could get out of Florida did in order to stay safe. My family got literally stuck, we couldn't get a flight out (they were booked solid and then the airports closed) and driving out wasn't very feasible due to intense gridlock, gas shortages, and water bottle shortages. We wanted to leave in order to stay safe, and when we realized we had to stay, we were not only worried about our own safety but about how long we would be stuck in Florida. If the airport had been badly damaged or if there was a lot of damage to the roads, we could have been stuck there for weeks. As it was, we had to add 4 nights on to our stay. There were 134 people killed by Irma, 72 in Florida. The parks being closed was the absolute least of our worries. Anyone who could get out ahead of the storm did.
glad you were safe...wow

Closed two days: Sunday (9/10) as the hurricane rolled through, and Monday (9/11) for cleanup. Disney's property itself didn't take much damage (some downed trees, mostly), but they were fairly lucky; damage was fairly widespread even for the Orlando area.

I was there right after Irma came through (originally scheduled to come in the day before, but moved my trip to later in the week because riding out the hurricane at Disney didn't sound safe or fun). Even if you've already paid for your trip, Disney's pretty accommodating if you need to reschedule or cancel due to weather; official policy is no cancellation or change fees if there's a hurricane warning within 7 days of your trip. I was supposed to come in 9/9 (right before Irma rolled through); I was able to move my arrival and departure to later in the week without too many issues (ended up taking two calls to get the same resort, though).

And your trip's not terribly likely to be impacted by a hurricane: Irma was only the fifth time they've had to close (ever) due to weather. I didn't have any reservations about booking a trip around the same time this year (week after Labor Day, 9/8-9/16): it's fairly unlikely that my plans would get disrupted, and, if they did, I feel pretty confident Disney will handle it well.

What about later in September? We are going the 19th to the 26th.

That’s when we’re going too! We’ll be there Sept 22-30. We were there mid to late Sept about five years ago....and it was great! Crowds were very manageable...it was very hot but we’re used to it. Looking forward to going back!

Our flight home was scheduled on the day the hurricane hit, so our flight was already cancelled. We could have stayed extra nights at 40% off, but we didn't really want to spend the extra money, as we weren't sure when we'd be able to get home, which was supposed to be Sunday the 10th. We couldn't get any earlier flights home, and we had to secure a rental car early and glad we did because you couldn't even get one after we booked it.. they were sold out everywhere. We ended up renting a car and driving back to NJ at 3am on Friday the 8th. Had the hurricane hit in the beginning or middle or our stay, we would have just stayed, with no problem.

Disney was great about everything. We were staying at Beach Club and they offered us a room for the extra days, at Yacht Club at 40% off if we did decide to stay. Since we left, we were refunded the 2 nights lost at the resort, 2 days of park hoppers that weren't going to be used and Southwest refunded us for our cancelled flight. We put all of those funds towards our upcoming trip this year.

That’s when we’re going too! We’ll be there Sept 22-30. We were there mid to late Sept about five years ago....and it was great! Crowds were very manageable...it was very hot but we’re used to it. Looking forward to going back!
This is our first September Trip. Been a few times late February. Once for Christmas, many, many years ago. Mostly we go in the spring.More worried about the crowds then the weather.

We did Labor Day week 2017...VERY HOT & HUMID...but very low crowds....at the end of the week, IRMA hit which may have also helped keep the crowds low....great time to go as long as you are ok with the heat. I have gone many times at the end of Aug to early Sept but next trip will be in Dec...I just can't take that kind of heat anymore

I am going this year Sept 7th - 14th And I have been at least 3 times in September. With free dining and Food and Wine festival and Halloween Parties it's still a little crowded but it is a good time to go. I'm in the camp of there is no more "slow" time at Disney. But I do love going the 1st or 2nd week of September. Kids may be in school but I find there are a lot of parents with Toddlers that go for the same reason. Reach out to me end of September and remind me to post about our trip.

Just got back on Friday. I was nervous about Hurricane Florence impacting our trip but we did fine. Flight home was a little longer because we had to fly around the storm instead of straight up the coast.
Crowd levels were better than I expected. Depending on the day or time of day though, waits were anywhere from 10-15 to 35-40. For example Saturday the 8th MK waits for Haunted mansion or Pirates were 30-40 and Buz lightyear was maybe 25. But on thursday the 13th Pirates was about 20 min.
We went to the Halloween Party on Tues the 11th and wait times were 5-10 minutes except for Haunted Mansion and Seven Dwarfs was 40 min.
Heat was worse than I remember. Had to go on rides just to bring our body temp down :( And I'm a person that is always cold, haha. The only parks that were still crowded were HS and AK because of the new rides. But even then, Avatar was about an hour and Slinky dog was about 90 min. So overall wait times were better but heat was worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter