Early stages of planning

One more FP+ tip. Since Dad doesn't do thrill rides, you can also use one of his to get one more ride on the thrill rides for yourself. As long as the magic band holder has checked into the park, it's okay to use their magic band to get an extra ride for yourself.

Yes, I've been studying the Fastpass+ stickies for some time, but am still trying to grasp it. It's much different than the system at DL. Where I get confused is when we are able to pick new Fastpasses after we used our 3 up. I know we can, but it seemed like it messes with something? I could have just gotten confused.
Here's a quick run-down - you can reserve up to three for one park on a specific day. You can reserve 60 days ahead if you're staying onsite, if you're offsite then you can reserve 30 days ahead. Read more in the unofficial guide :P

Are you staying on-site? Or off-site? That could play into your decision to park hop or not. If you are staying on-site, say at one of the Boardwalk resorts, I would recommend a hopper pass because it's so easy to hop between EP and HS and even EP and MK.

However, being relatively new to WDW, there is so much to do at each of the parks if you don't have much experience with them, that I think you would be fine without the hopper. You could always take the approach of buying the non-hopper pass and if you get there and then decide you do want to park hop, you can add the hopper option then.

It is a lot to take in, but enjoy the ride!
I'm going to aim for onsite to get better fastpass options. Thanks for letting me know about the boardwalk resorts. I was looking at some places at Animal Kingdom to be closer to FOP just in case we don't get fastpasses. I am open to other options too though!

Yes, I've been studying the Fastpass+ stickies for some time, but am still trying to grasp it. It's much different than the system at DL. Where I get confused is when we are able to pick new Fastpasses after we used our 3 up. I know we can, but it seemed like it messes with something? I could have just gotten confused.

It is very different than the DL system. Better to just forget what you know about the DL system and treat this like something totally new.

Basically, once you have used your first 3 FP, you can get a 4th. Once you've used that, you can get a 5th, etc, etc. There is no limit to how many you can get.

It can get more complicated because of the tier system, or if you're park hopping, but the question you asked does have a simple answer: once you've used your 3, you can immediately get the 4th.

It is very different than the DL system. Better to just forget what you know about the DL system and treat this like something totally new.

Basically, once you have used your first 3 FP, you can get a 4th. Once you've used that, you can get a 5th, etc, etc. There is no limit to how many you can get.

It can get more complicated because of the tier system, or if you're park hopping, but the question you asked does have a simple answer: once you've used your 3, you can immediately get the 4th.
That's honestly what Ive had to do to begin planning. I actually wanted to go to Disney World sometime this year, but put planing off because I was annoyed at just how much it takes to make a Disney world trip happen compared to DL. Well now I really want to go, so I am just treating WDW like an entirely new park lol. It doesn't seem all that bad so far. Just different.

Also, you can pick new Fastpasses after you use your original three at kiosks or through the mobile app. I don't think that it messes with anything.... what is this thing it supposedly messes with?

Re: character meals, Garden Grove at the Swan is the best kept secret in them imo. Insanely less expensive than the Disney ones, great character interaction because the place is never busy, and much better food than most. IIRC the lineup is some kind of Fab Five rep and/or Chip n Dale but you’ll want to check the site. This would be a nice choice on an Epcot or DHS day because the Swan is in that resort area around the lake near Yacht/Beach Club and Boardwalk. It was a family tradition for us when I was a kid.

Also, you can pick new Fastpasses after you use your original three at kiosks or through the mobile app. I don't think that it messes with anything.... what is this thing it supposedly messes with?
I copied and pasted this from the sticky. I might have just been confused about something.

Only 4th FPs (and beyond) can be chosen to repeat FP attractions. Scheduling less than 3 FPs for a day is not a shortcut to repeating an attraction with FP faster.

I copied and pasted this from the sticky. I might have just been confused about something.

The portion you quoted from the FAQ is to emphasize that you cannot preschedule less than 3 FPs and then immediately repeat the same attraction with an FP. Scheduling more FPs after your first three does not, as far as I know, “mess” with anything.

The portion you quoted from the FAQ is to emphasize that you cannot preschedule less than 3 FPs and then immediately repeat the same attraction with an FP. Scheduling more FPs after your first three does not, as far as I know, “mess” with anything.
Ok! Thanks. So basically, make sure to schedule 3 fastpasses, then as soon as you are done, you can schedule more day of..and you can repeat some if you want to? Except for the ones that are tiered?

Ok! Thanks. So basically, make sure to schedule 3 fastpasses, then as soon as you are done, you can schedule more day of..and you can repeat some if you want to? Except for the ones that are tiered?

After the initial three, there are no restrictions regarding repeats nor tiering.

After the initial three there are no restrictions! no tiering either! On a crowded day there might be some day-of popular attraction availability for FP so keep checking whenever you can if you don't initially score a big ride FP!

Next question is related to fastpass+ . Does this ride list sound doable? I will most likely being doing these with my mom. My dad does not want to do thrill rides.
Magic Kingdom:
Space Mountain (A)
Seven dwarves mine train (A)

Epcot:
Test track (A)
1) Space ship earth (B)- is this closing? Thought I read an article about it closing

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur (B)
Expedition Everest (B)
Flight of Passage (A)

Hollywood Studios:
Rock n Roller Coaster- single rider; mom won't want to go upside down
Slinky dog dash (A)

2) Question I just thought of, say I book fastpasses for my mom and I. If she decided she does not want to do the ride, can I do the ride myself, then go back and use her fastpass and go again? Is this allowed? Not trying to break any rules.

1) Spaceship Earth is closing for refurbishment, but I think that's a bit later in this year. Not sure how long it will be shut down though.

2) As far as I remember, so long as said person is in the park when deciding they don't want to use their FP, yes you can take their Magicband and go again. Or, you can simply have your mom tap her band to the Mickey Head and step off to the side and ask where's the exit.

Great advice given so far, just one thing to add. On Instagram, Serena at 'Living by Disney' has been doing a series of stories on rope drop strategies that are excellent, if you're looking for any more resources to check out.
Thank you for this recommendation.I am following her on Instagram. I saw her stories yesterday on Rope Drop. For some reason I thought rope drop wouldn't be ideal because there are so many onsite hotels, causing more crowding.
Side note: Forgot just how big WDW is compared to DL. Seeing her stories I was all "OMG there is so much space!"

If your father does not want to do Space Mountain either get him a FP for Buzz Lightyear right across the way or make him a FP for Space at the same time, you use it and have him ride the people mover. I can't do SM either because of my back and that is what I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter