• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ease My Mind! AP Question

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
We are considering buying an AP for the first time for this Decembers trip. I don't know why, but I am really nervous about buying an AP. I guess it's just because it's so much money.

Please tell me that I am doing the most logical thing when it comes to buying park tickets!

11/29-12/5/05 - DH, Me, DD, DS.....staying the first 2 nights off site because we won a free trip and the rest in a 1bdrm at BCV

Now, for next years trip we were going to try and go during the first week in December, but we wouldn't be able to if we bought the AP's because they would be expired by the time we would be going. So now we are thinking about going the first week in October of next year so that we can go to the F&WF and MNSSHP. Next year we are staying for 5 nights and 6 days.

Can someone please tell me what it's like during the first week in October?

Can someone ease my mind that I am doing the logical thing in buying the AP's?

TIA!
Melissa

We just went through the same exercise and decided to buy the MYW passes with the park hopper option and no expiry. We bought with the mousesavers discount code. You just have to sign up for her newsletter.

This gives you 10 park visits and 5 extra visits to places like the water parks for a total of 15 visits.

Since we are joining DVC and planning to go to Disney at least twice per year, we don't want to feel like we have to go to the parks everyday to get our monies worth.

We like enjoy the resorts as well, go to Downtown Disney and do some shopping.

We now will probably use 2 or 3 visits per trip which means the MYW passes may last us 5 visits instead of 2.

If you like to be in the parks everyday, this may not be the option for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Honestly for 2 5 day trips just get teh 10 MYW ticket. Get it with the hopping and no expiry options and you don't have to worry about it later on. You will get 2 trips out of the ticket these are what we get rather than an AP especially when we go the same time every year. We get 2 tripss out of it both 5 park days each and we go for 2 weeks at a time.

But it costs more $$$ to get the 10 day MYW tickets.

For $895.68 - I can get 2 adult AP's and 1 child's AP
For $1040- I get 2 adult No Expiry Premium with Park Hopping & Magic Plus (5 Visits) and 1 child's
For $999 - I get the same ticket but with no Hopping

Am I missing the logic in spending more money to get the MYW ticket?

I think this depends on your trip next year, Oct or Dec? or both?!? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If Oct is for sure I would go with the AP, with the discount your looking at $295 adult, $236 under 10, the 10 day MYW with parkhopper and no expire would be $332 adult, $293 under 10. I agree though, if your not sure about the Oct trip to play it safe and go with the 10 day.

Happy ticket buying!

It doesn't bother me when we go, just as long as we get there. We've just never been during the 1st week of October before. We have been in May (never again), last week of October (always a possibility of doing it again), and the first week of December (loved).

Have any of you ever been during the first week of October? Does it compare crowd wise to the first week in December? That's the only thing I am unsure about.

maciec said:
But it costs more $$$ to get the 10 day MYW tickets.

For $895.68 - I can get 2 adult AP's and 1 child's AP
For $1040- I get 2 adult No Expiry Premium with Park Hopping & Magic Plus (5 Visits) and 1 child's
For $999 - I get the same ticket but with no Hopping

Am I missing the logic in spending more money to get the MYW ticket?

I guess the question comes down to how many days they will be spending in the parks/waterparks? On the December vacation remember there are 2 days for travelling so it looks like 5 days in the parks? On the return vacation again it looks like a total of 5 days in the parks with travelling day? Not quite sure if this is correct but here is our logic.

The MYW tickets actually give you 10 visits to the parks and 5 water park visits for a total of 15 visiits.

I know when we had tickets for the entire duration of our one week stay at AKL, we didn't go to the parks every single day. We wanted to relax and enjoy the hotel for a couple days as well.

So my logic is you may pay a few bucks more but if you do not do the park commando thing and plan on visiting the parks & waterpark 3 days in a one week trip, you can actually use that pass for 5 vacation total instead of 2.

We are also looking at doing Vero Beach on one of our next vacations so the AP's would definately be a waste for us because we would not use them while there.

With the AP we would be spending $895.00 every year instead of the $1040 for the MYW passes every 2-3 years.
Anyway, this is our logic and good luck in your decision.

We love to go in early December, too. And we still buy APs. You just have to plan your trips 50 -51 weeks apart.

For example, this year, we are going 12/2 - 12/10. We are buying new APs (with DVC discount, hooray!!). In 2006, we will go 11/24 - 12/2. The AP will still be good on 12/2/06, but we probably won't go into the parks that day anyway as it will be our travel day.

Anyway, with a little planning, you can still go every year in early December and get two trips out of one AP.

Best wishes -

I second what CArol said, but we do tend to use the AP 3 times in that year. We used to go twice a year and renew with the voucher but not stay until the next year's trip. Then they changed the renewal to be active from the day of expiration, so it didn't make sense to us to do it that way. Now we buy an AP, use it for 3 trips, and then wait 12 months before taking another trip with a new AP. That way, be are buying an AP every other year instead of renewing every year.

I am 99% sure that I am going to get the AP. It just doesn't make any sense not to.

I wish that we could go the week prior to the first one in December, but in 2006 that is Thanksgiving week. No big deal. I really like the idea of flipping back and forth between Halloween and Christmas.

Where did you buy your MYW passes with the mousesavers discount code? We are getting ready to buy tickets and have decided the 10 day, park hopper, with no expiration is our best bet for our travel situation. Now we are looking for the best price. Can you please help with some information? So far the best price I have found is from Maple Leaf or the link at the top of the disboard. Thanks!

Do you get the mousesavers newsletter? the link to get the discount was in August's newsletter.

If you need a copy PM me your e-mail and I will forward you a copy.

Melissa

October is a fantastic time at WDW and it is when we fell in love with it from our very first trip down, turning in our 5 day passes for AP's and buying into DVC within the next 12 months.

It is usually cool so you can really get a lot done. The park hours are shorter, but it doesn't seem to matter because you get so much more done because the attendance is lower and we walked onto most rides. Also, you can do the halloween party which is an absolute blast!

It is one of my most favorite times to go to WDW but with the kids in school, its also a difficult time to go.

I think your AP plan seems great. We do usually use ours 3-5 times a year for different lengths of trips but it is so much nicer going to the parks knowing that if we leave early, we haven't "burned" a day. I would also never go without the ability to hop as we have walked into the MK and its been wall to wall people and we immediately left. I don't want to lose that ability. (we also leave the parks for a nap every day - or at least rest time -
and its nice to be able to head to different park in the evening if we choose).

We go away every year for a 10 day trip. We buy the PAP's and don't worry about it. If we go every day, wow. If not, great. One day at a WP, fine.

We look at it this way: the DVC discount, the AP discount on meals, National rentals (for other trips) and WOD store are worth it.

We've been going in October for three years now. We hadn't been in October since 1996 when we bought into DVC. Last year we also went the first week of December. It is slightly more crowded in October in the parks but not that much. You still get many warm days though it cools down at night. I like to plan my trips to get the most out of the AP's. I didn't renew this past March because I knew I wasn't heading down until later in the year. Your plan to Purchase for December & visit again in October next year is good enough reason to go for the AP's.

Love the convenience of an AP. You can pop into a park for a few hours and not feel guilty about "wasting" a day. Want to try a restaurant in a park? Go right ahead--doesnt count as a "day". I guess it all depends upon your family's likes and needs.

We also plan our vacations about 51 weeks apart to get at least two trips out of 1 AP. But we often squeeze another trip in the middle.

Laurajean1014 said:
We go away every year for a 10 day trip. We buy the PAP's and don't worry about it. If we go every day, wow. If not, great. One day at a WP, fine.

We look at it this way: the DVC discount, the AP discount on meals, National rentals (for other trips) and WOD store are worth it.

Just curious how much the discount is for National Rentals??

I haven't heard about this.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter