EAST, WEST, WHICH "HOME'S" BEST? A DL and WDW Trip--NEW 10/23/17--I'm back!! AK morning

Oh wow, first of all, you stay offsite without a rental car?! Are you crazy! LOL I think your plan to drive, arrive by lunch sounds perfect!! And that way on your way home you won't have to worry about flights either, and can save the tickets for next trip so its a win win!! Have an amazing time!

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but I read through the whole thing during work today and LOVE the report! :goodvibes

Hope you have a safe drive down and an amazing trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

Oh wow, first of all, you stay offsite without a rental car?! Are you crazy! LOL I think your plan to drive, arrive by lunch sounds perfect!! And that way on your way home you won't have to worry about flights either, and can save the tickets for next trip so its a win win!! Have an amazing time!

Haha---NO!!! I phrased that badly! We stay onsite, but the conference is at the Marriott. Renting a car has always seemed like a wash--do we pay $25/day parking fee for it to sit, unused, at the Marriott from 8-5 while A is in class, or do we rent a car for me to use at the parks AND pay for cabs to the conference?

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but I read through the whole thing during work today and LOVE the report! :goodvibes

Hope you have a safe drive down and an amazing trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

So glad you are here-- I love your reports-- been reading since pre-Izzy!

So.... At our traditional taco dinner last night (we go to our fave taco place before any trip we take!) we were talking about the drive. I was urging Adam to leave work a little earlier-- a 5 pm, 350 mile drive down 95 just sounded bad. And then, just on a whim, we looked at flights for Friday, which we had originally not considered because he didn't feel he could leave early enough to make the available flights. BUT-- we saw there was a non-stop RDU to MCO leaving at 4:05 that had previously been sold out that seemed to have 4 seats. After a quick discussion, we decided to snag that flight, meaning we will arrive tonight:banana: around 6 pm!!! We are currently Disney-homeless, though, as the resorts are TOTALLY full (unless we want to pay $400 for a cabin at Ft. Wilderness, which we do not!) I've put a request out to our magical travel agent, as the agency sometimes books blocks of rooms, and might have availability, but that wS at 11 pm and I haven't heard back yet. Worst case we get a room at a Downtown Disney hotel and take an uber from MCO, but with six suitcases that doesn't seem like fun, especially because we would transfer to the Poly via uber early Sat am. BUT-- we get a FULL day Saturday now! I've decided we are going to play it Disney cool-- we plan to drop our luggage at the Poly early enough to hit any rope drop we want to, and then Adam gets to pick a park.

I have an insane morning ahead, as we are not only leaving a day earlier, but now about 5 hours earlier than I had planned. BUT-- TONIGHT we will be in Disney!!!

I'm going to try to squeeze in a couple of quick updates while we wait on our plane-- we will touch down at MCO in 3 hours! Woohoo! I was able to book a room at the Pop last minute. I'm going to see what time we arrive at the hotel, but most likely we will grab dinner at Everything Pop (and maybe dive headfirst into our first Disney cupcake-- that pb banana Elvis thing they sell there) and visit the arcade. I toyed with the idea of visiting Downtown Disney, but I'm pretty sure we will not really be up for that. Maybe, though. The boys want to scout out the Lego store for possible souvineers, as well as test the lay of the land for buttering up my Dad, who lives in Saratoga and is meeting us there Thursday, for some sort of extravagant purchase. He walks in with the word "sucker" tattooed across his forehead where his only grandchildren are concerned!

Anyway, back to our last day at DL. We were up at the crack of dawn again, and I got us all showered, got Grady lice-combed (sorry, so gross, but my friends wh were talking me through this via text assured me that combing 3x a day would be the best way to kick the critters, and I really think that's what really helped get rid of this so fast) and got our luggage down to bell services. We headed to DL for early entry-- I think it was 8 am. Our first order of business--Hyperspace Mountain!!!image.jpeg

Omg. This is so fun. Mum so sad Adam missed it-- he would LOVE it. Even without the overlay, this ride is great-- so smooth.

Then we headed to the castle entry for a picture. You can't see it in this picture, but there was a HOARDE of people down at the hub waiting on official rope drop. I literally ran the kids up there, snapped this picture practically while running, and we dashed through the castle ahead of the masses. It was hilarious.image.jpeg

(Seriously-- they were literally 10 feet behind me when I took this!)

You totally know where we went next.....right?!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Of course you do! It's us. This is what we do.

Then we hit the last few rides in Fantasyland we had missed--Mr. Toad, which I found delightfully odd
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Cutest ride vehicle EVER.
image.jpeg

They thought they were controlling the car. This is totally how riding with Grady in 5 years will be (gulp.)

I think we rode something else, but my pictures are so blurry I can't even tell what it was. Then I'm 99% sure we rode Indy again, but if there's no picture it didn't happen.... Or something like that.

Then onto something I wish I'd taken a picture of-- breakfast at Jolly Holiday Bakery. Remember that thing I keep saying about the food at DL being SO much better than WDW? I'm just saying it cause it's true:worship: This was SO yummy! We got a Materhorn macaroon-- I should have gotten another to take home. This was THE BEST macaroon I've ever had. We also shared a piece of quiche, which was legit, homemade-caliber, with a hint of nutmeg and everything. SO good. JH got some sort of power pack thing with yougert, fruit, etc. He was happy.

It was then time to say our see ya real soons to DL...which was sad, because we will not be seeing it anytime in the foreseeable future. It was a special, magical place, and one I'd like to visit again some day, but I can safely say that WDW has my heart. We waved to Walt's light and made our way out the gates....

And across the Esplenade to DCA. We aren't done yet!

Hoping to continue in the next post, but we are about to board, so it may be later. See ya real soon!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1

Wow! I hope your trip to WDW was a happy pixie filled one! I am posting this on Jan 17th so you might be home again by now. I have enjoyed reading about your DL trip. I cannot believe Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is still there! I loved that ride as a kid at WDW. I think I am going to have to plan a trip out to California to visit DL now for sure! I just think it would be fun to visit it since it was the first park Walt created.

I know what you mean by the people in the south go ballistic at the first sign of snow!!! I remember my husband and I were driving down to WDW from Illinois once in March and there was a big snowstorm. We had to stop in Tennessee because they closed the interstates! It was crazy. We spoke to a state tropper who was at the restaurant and asked him when he thought they would open the roads again. He said, "When it melts." WHAT?? Don't they realize that snow can last for days and days when the temperature is cold?! They did not have any snowplows! We were able to leave the next day but it really put us behind since we had had to stop around 1:00 the previous afternoon.

Hi everyone! My apologies for the long absence. We are back from our WDW trip, but life has been insane since we got home, and I haven't had time to even check in on the Dis lately. I'm looking forward to recalling and processing our trip-- we had a great time (duh) but it was not without challenges. My normally pretty good kids (on a scale of 1-10 their level of combativeness with each other is typically low, like 3/10) ) were AT EACH OTHER'S THROATS. In hindsight, I think we should have rested more (this was our first trip where I didn't have forced in-room "this is not a nap, this is just you lying down in a darkened room with your eyes closed":D time, and I think it showed. We hit LOTS of early morning magic hours, and although they were in bed by 9:00 pm most nights, I think it caught up with them. We also walked just over 84 miles in 8 days:scared:, so that probably had something to do with everyone's fatigue:rotfl2:. Anyway, now that I've forgotten what it felt like to snap "leave your brother ALONE" for the millionth time, I'm ready to get back to the reporting!

But first, we have a little more California to get through!
*********************************************************************************************

California Adventure--Final Hours

After leaving DL, we scooted across the esplanade to DCA for a final trip through our favorites. I had planned to pull a FP for RSR, hoping for something in the 2-3 pm window (this was around 10 am.). But-- the return times were already up past 4:30, and we really wanted to get back to San Diego before dark (and before the worst of rush hour) so that was a no-go. Boo! We decided that we were willing to wait in one more long ride line, and headed over to Toy Story. I think we waited about 30 minutes? Not terrible. I do remember this wait was shorter than the previous day. Grady had his own car...image.jpeg

And JH was with me. He gets so irritated when he doesn't beat the grown ups.image.jpg

It was getting close to lunch time, and we had two more stops to make. We had decided to pull a Soarin FP when we couldn't get a RSR one, so we knew that would be our very last ride. The kids wanted to check out CarsLand again, and we needed lunch, so off to Radiator Springs we went! We decided to try Luigi's Roadsters. This is a....very strange ride? JH wanted to get his own car this time, and so he was alone while Grady was with me.
image.jpg

We danced around in our convertibles :car: and then hit the road...
image.jpg

Here is where I apparently stopped taking pictures entirely. We headed to Flo's V-8 for lunch, which was really cute and hit the spot. Grady and I both got the roast beef sandwich, with mashed potatoes (that were really good!) and I remember it being pretty yummy. I'm fairly certain JH got Mac& cheese. I sprung for the little car lunch boxes, which we ended up giving to our (much younger) neighbor's the second we got home, so that was kind of a waste.

We headed over to Soarin, asked to wait for the front row, and then headed back through the GC entrance and back to the car. It was pretty anticlimactic.... not nearly as much effort as we usually put into saying goodbye to WDW. We drove home, went to the beach for a couple of hours, the took our over-tired children to dinner and went to bed at 9 pm. Whomp, whomp.

So-- thoughts on DL vs WDW. First, I'm so glad we went. It was such a cool experience, and it was really fun to take a more laid-back approach to a Disney vacation. That being said... We remain wholehearted WDW devotes. Part of the fun, for me, is the planning, and it's just not necessary (or possible, to some extent) at DL. And I am firmly I the FP+ camp. We waited in a LOT of lines at DL-- thankfully the kids are older and could handle it, but it was not how we've gotten used to touring, and it wasn't super-fun. We were there on VERY low crowd days, and took advantage of early morning hours, but the lines for everything just grew so quickly after 10 am. There were no really quick rides, even though it always seemed like there was SOMETHING you could ride without a wait at WDW pre-FP+. We enjoyed getting to experience the original magic of Disneyland-- that felt neat and special, but it just didn't speak to any of us like WDW. We don't know when we are going to be back in CA-- hopefully we will do a northern CA/ US 1/Big Sur trip in the not-too-distant future, but DL isn't really high on my repeat list. I wonder if others feel the same, or do you think I'm crazy? It's ok if you do! :smooth: Haha.

I will do one more quick write up for our last day in So Cal (in La Jolla, so cute!) and then move onto WDW. At some point I will talk about our travel plans for the upcoming year...which don't include ANY Disney! (For now, at least. I actually prefer trips that we plan about 3-4 months out, so who knows what the fall will hold.). We realized pulling the kids out of school is going to be harder starting now, not in a few years like we'd anticipated, and there are a few other places we want to go. Without unlimited time and money, we will have to see how Disney fits in! I will NOT be able to stay away from Pandora when it opens! For now, though, our plans are DC at Spring Break, since that's an easy drive and my dad super-generously donated a hotel stay for us:worship:, then SOMEWHERE for a long weekend to celebrate my big 4-0 (no idea where, but I know it requires a passport! I have three guesses--Cuba, which is HIGH on my no-kids place to visit, Montreal or Belize-- we will see if I'm right!) We are toying with a few days in FL over Christmas break, but I'm not sure I can deal with the WDW crowds then. And the our BIG trip (where all the vacation dollars need to go)-- Spain and Portugal in the spring of 2018. I'm really excited to start planning that one! I am using so many of the excellent tips I've picked up here about maximizing dollars/points/etc. to make that happen, and I'm happy to share as we get going on booking!

Wow! I hope your trip to WDW was a happy pixie filled one! I am posting this on Jan 17th so you might be home again by now. I have enjoyed reading about your DL trip. I cannot believe Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is still there! I loved that ride as a kid at WDW. I think I am going to have to plan a trip out to California to visit DL now for sure! I just think it would be fun to visit it since it was the first park Walt created.

I know what you mean by the people in the south go ballistic at the first sign of snow!!! I remember my husband and I were driving down to WDW from Illinois once in March and there was a big snowstorm. We had to stop in Tennessee because they closed the interstates! It was crazy. We spoke to a state tropper who was at the restaurant and asked him when he thought they would open the roads again. He said, "When it melts." WHAT?? Don't they realize that snow can last for days and days when the temperature is cold?! They did not have any snowplows! We were able to leave the next day but it really put us behind since we had had to stop around 1:00 the previous afternoon.

Thanks for the well-wishes! We felt the same way about DL-- so glad to get to experience it. It was so much fun to imagine Walt being delighted by DL, especially since it was the very first thing of its kind, anywhere!

Funny snow story-- my husband was talking to someone at a meeting after we got back. They were trying to change their same flight out Sat that we were. As best we can figure, we were on the phone with Southwest at the exact same time, and the agent helping us reserved the last seat on the plane for us, and they missed out. I felt really bad! Luckily they made it out eaaaaaarly Saturday before it really started snowing. My kids ended up missing just two days of school, instead of five, because school was cancelled Mon-Wed (even though it stopped snowing at 1 pm Sat:rotfl2:)

Y'ALL-- life has been so, so busy. Our house is going on the market next week, and we have been catching up on years of projects I said "we'll get to one day..." The upstairs floors were all refinished (and we lived like we were camping out downstairs for two weeks!) and now there are a half-dozen painters running around and everything is covered in plastic, they are reglazing a tub and doing the loooong overdue leaf removal from the fall. Between that and work also being busy (yay, growing vacation fund! I own a design/antiques business, and work primarily with a major online retailer doing flash-sale type things, so my income depends on how much people are buying. Thankfully they seem to be in a shopping mood lately, so I'm really busy, which is wonderful!). We are also launching a huge new partnership with the community garden I organize, and it's grant-application season....So, no Dis for me! I really want to get started on our WDW trip, though, so let's plow through this last day in California and then I will get going!
*********************************************************************************************

BYE-BYE CALIFORNIA!

We woke up Friday morning to another gorgeous, gorgeous day. It was a little chilly, but so sunny and beautiful. I packed up our room while Adam attended a final session. The boys helped me load the rental car, and we went for a last walk on the beach.

We discovered that right outside our room, a sand artist had been at work during the night, and this fabulous sculpture greeted us.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

He told me it took about 6 hours to create this one. I really wish we had all stopped back by before we checked out, because this would have made a great Christmas card!
image.jpeg

I really, really do wish I was there!

image.jpeg

They were installing an ice skating rink on the hotel lawn!! Can you imagine ice skating with a view of the beach?!image.jpeg

We took a short walk down the beach, then headed back to meet Adam. We were checking out of the Coronado, with plans to head over to Balboa Park for the afternoon.

We tried to stop at Snooze again, but by 11-ish on a Friday morning there was a 1.5 hour wait....so we started just kind of wandering around the downtown area looking for something. We happened on an AMAZING bakery--I so, so, wish I had written the name down, but going from memory, it was City Bakery on University. We all got sandwiches and some treats, and some biscotti to take back to my mom, who was house-sitting for us. If you find yourself in the area, stop in for the grilled cheese and tomato soup. It was, hands down, THE best I have ever had. YUM.

We took our box of goodies (cupcakes and some macarons, also the best I've ever had) and headed to nearby Balboa Park. I was not doing well with pictures today, but it was a gorgeous day and people were out in droves enjoying the park complex. There were street performers, musicians, and tons of beautiful buildings to look at.

I had researched the different museum options looking for one that might appeal,to all of us, and we settled on the Museum of Man. This was super cool-- they had such a wide variety of exhibits, and it was pretty kid-friendly. The interactive exhibit on monsters (like mythological ones throughout the world, as well as the under-the-bed variety) was the kids' favorite.image.jpegimage.jpeg

There was a room on ancient humans, another large area about Egypt (with mummies-- some were not a in sarcophagus-- my kids were a little freaked!) and another room on Mayan civilization. There was a big exhibit on education, civil rights and the immigrant experience, which I really enjoyed because it related to the community volunteer work I do. The kids pretended to be interested.image.jpeg

There was an exhibit on craft beer (@TheMaxRebo I thought of you!) that my husband thought was awesome. We decided to pay the additional fee to visit the exhibit on cannibals. This was....ok, I guess. We try to expose the kids to all kinds of stuff--well-rounded people and all. Most of the exhibit was ok, not super child-friendly, but they were engaged, but parts were WAY too "real," for lack of a better word, for kids that age. It is still what they talk about most, but I can't tell if that's because it was fun or really scary.

At this point, it was getting to be late afternoon, and we were ready to head to our new hotel in LaJolla. (The rate for our Coronado room rose to $600 a night after the conference...uh, no?):confused3

We had booked at the Grande Colonial in La Jolla via Expedia, and got a really great rate. The hotel itself was so neat-- in a really old building, with all sorts of cool architectural details, none of which I photographed. Here are my kids playing chess in the lobby, though :rotfl2:
image.jpeg

We checked out the room (the beds were SO comfortable!!) and then headed put in search of dinner!image.jpeg

We were about a block from the ocean, and I was SO smitten with this town. When I'm I. The position to spend $2 M on a 2 br house it's where I'm headed:rotfl2:!

Continued next post!

We had checked on restaurants on Trip Advisor, and settle on a Mexican fusion place called Puesto. It was a short walk from the hotel, and the walk itself just made me fall more in love with this precious town. image.jpeg

Everything was so cute, with white buildings and red roofs and adorable lighting. Dinner was REALLY good. I was in vacation mode, and didn't take any pictures, but the standout tacos were the ones I was most apprehensive about. There was a mushroom taco and a zuchinni and cactus taco that were unreal-- mostly because of the cheese and yummy toppings. We wandered around a little after dinner, and picked up a small bottle of bourbon that was special for a reason I can't remember...bottled in California or something? Back at the hotel we climes in the sooooooo comfy beds, watched a Harry Potter movie, admire the twinkle lights and Adam and I had a couple of cocktails. A perfect ending to th trip, for sure.

Less perfect, Grady set an alarm on the old phone we had given them to listen to music on, for 5 am. I remember being very half-awake and thinking, wow, this town is so cute they even have bells playing to gently wake you up.... But, no. Just my kid being goofy.:rolleyes2 We were up muuuuuch earlier than we needed to be on a morning we had planned to sleep in.

We got up and dressed and headed out in search of a light-ish breakfast, since we had plans for a big lunch. We found reviews for a local coffee shop tha was about a mile away, and decided to walk over. It was, like everything else, totally adorable. The kids played with a gain chess set while we drank coffee and ate bagels and muffins.image.jpeg
So many places in LaJolla had fireplaces-- mostly gas burning, but they seemed to be lit in the evening and in the morning, when it was a little chilly. It only made me love this place even more.
image.jpeg

You can sort of see the fireplace here, u set the motorcycle on the wall.:moped: Quirky and wonderful!

We walked back down to the harbor area just past the hotel. Even in my phone picture, you can see just how AMAZING the weather was. image.jpeg
Just perfection! The kids ran around and climbed trees.
image.jpeg

We walked over to the cliff area, and watched the ocean for a bit.image.jpeg

I was saying to Adam that we had never made time to seek out the sea lions, which I had heard lived somewhere in the area. Just then, we noticed the rocks down on the shore moving...
image.jpeg

Because they weren't rocks at all! The cliff face was COVERED with sea lions. People were walking around right next to them (despite all the signs that said not to!) We watched them for a bit, but they were SO smelly-- who knew?!

Then it really was time to say goodbye. I admit, I cried a little as we drove back towards the airport. This was an unbelievable vacation, and I fell so in love with the area. If not for traffic, earthquakes and the insane cost of living I would move in a heartbeat:yay:

Our very last stop was somewhere we had heard A LOT about...In N' Out Burger! We hit the location near the airport right as it opened, and ordered our burgers.image.jpeg

These were yummy! I think I prefer 5 Guys if I'm going to indulge, but definitely good stuff here. Plus, cute accessories :jester:
image.jpeg

Our whole meal was like $20, too, which was a welcome change after the pricey food we'd had over the last few days.

After lunch, we quickly dropped off the car, checked into our flight, and waited a pretty short time before it was time to board. I must have given JH my phone at some point, because I found these when I was uploading pictures from the trip.
image.jpeg

Goofball.

We took off around 1 Pm PST, and had a quick layover in Denver, landing in Raleigh around 11 pm. We were SO tired when we finally walked in our own door around 12:30 am.

That wraps up this amazing trip-- thanks for reading along! Now to download the million pictures from January and get started on our wonderful eight nights in Florida!

It's DISNEY TIME!!! I'm going to get started on our January trip, even though I'm not done sorting through our photo pass pics and I have GOT to figure out photobucket, but I can get going with what I have. This will be more words than pics, because I didn't really take many on the way down, but we have SO many from this trip, so that will change soon!

First for the who, what's, where's, etc-- gotta have context for the fun!
WHO: All four of us-- although my husband was attending a conference Monday afternoon-Thursday morning, so I was alone with the kids a fair amount.
WHAT: We started out with a seven-night trip to WDW, arriving Saturday of Marathon weekend, but a winter stormed forced us to change our plans. Southwest was AWESOME about letting us change our tickets, and we flew out Friday, January 6, giving us an extra night and a full extra day!
WHEN: Friday, 1/6 through late Saturday 1/14. Our Magical Express didn't leave for the airport until 4:30, so we hit multiple parks before leaving!
WHERE: the splittiest split stay you ever did see! Our original plans were:
1/7--Poly, standard view (extra night due to me entering dates incorrectly on the point rental website:confused3)
1/8-1/10-- Bay Lake Tower Studio, rented points
1/10-1/14-- Yacht Club garden view
When we had to add a night on Friday 1/7 due to rescheduling our flight because of a storm, we originally had NO place to stay-- Disney was booked SOLID except for a Ft Wilderness cabin ($450/night) or the Presidentail Suite at AK ($2500/night:rotfl2:). I decided worst case scenario we would book something in the downtown Disney area from the airport and use Uber to get there. But with 8 pieces of luggage, that was NOT my first choice. Amazingly, a room at the Pop opened up just before noon on Friday, and I snagged it. We like Pop and have stayed there a few times, and I was really glad we would have access to the Magical Express!

And-- because I'm nothing if not complicated-- we ended up changing our hotels in the middle of our stay! We had some serious pixie dust from a cast member and ended up with a fantastic change of plans. Gotta read to find out what!:goodvibes

WHY: Duh. It's Disney (plus that conference meant we got our rooms for free for several nights of the trip, so extra duh! Of COURSE! we would go!):banana:

Just read through the ending of the DL trip - first it looks like you had a great time!!

-- hopefully we will do a northern CA/ US 1/Big Sur trip in the not-too-distant future, but DL isn't really high on my repeat list. I wonder if others feel the same, or do you think I'm crazy? It's ok if you do! :smooth: Haha.

MAYBE my love for DL comes from the fact that it's where I started out visiting Disney, so it holds quite a bit of nostalgia? I really love the classic rides too, like the Storybookland canal boats, Pinocchio, Snow White, Toontown, etc, Plus DCA has some really awesome parts to it, like Carsland and the Monsters Inc ride, that I just really do love it there. FYI after our Great Wolf Lodge mini-vacation last weekend, she said we should do our vacations in this order: Disney world, Disneyland, Great Wolf Lodge, then back to Disney World. She loves it there too, I guess (though it really REALLY irks me to have GWL up there with anything Disney in her mind, it wasn't that great lol).

Of course, my girls are younger, so some of what I love has to do with that. I do enjoy their character meals too and nighttime stuff like WoC...

DC at Spring Break, since that's an easy drive and my dad super-generously donated a hotel stay for us:worship:, then SOMEWHERE for a long weekend to celebrate my big 4-0 (no idea where, but I know it requires a passport! I have three guesses--Cuba, which is HIGH on my no-kids place to visit, Montreal or Belize-- we will see if I'm right!) We are toying with a few days in FL over Christmas break, but I'm not sure I can deal with the WDW crowds then. And the our BIG trip (where all the vacation dollars need to go)-- Spain and Portugal

The last few years I've put my name in for the lottery for the Easter Egg Roll on the white house lawn. I never did get in, but I had really hoped to go in April for that! I won't be putting in my name for at least the next 4 years, baby on the way or not lol...but that's another discussion anyway. (And I only bring that up since we're FB friends so I know your political stances, otherwise I wouldn't say anything haha).

So your husband is planning a passport-required, super secret, 40th birthday trip!? WHAT! When is that? That's awesome. I am jealous. I'm going to tell my DH we need to do this (esp since 1- I turn 40 before him lol and 2- I'll be 37 when we're at our debt-paid-off date and after that we'll have lots of free money and I can do fun stuff like plan random trips lmao). A cousin of mine has hosted two foodie small tour groups to Cuba (she's a food editor (or something) for the Dallas Morning News, and I thought her trips sounded amazing! I have been to Montreal and thought it was neat (esp for a weekend, not sure about longer, but I like warmer weather...) and um, BELIZE would be amazing!

And Spain & Portugal will be so amazing next year! I wouldn't worry about pulling the boys out of school for that (if you're going during school) as I'm sure they will learn SO MUCH MORE there than any day at school!

I had researched the different museum options looking for one that might appeal,to all of us, and we settled on the Museum of Man. This was super cool-- they had such a wide variety of exhibits, and it was pretty kid-friendly. The interactive exhibit on monsters (like mythological ones throughout the world, as well as the under-the-bed variety) was the kids' favorite.

That's awesome! What a neat exhibit!

There was an exhibit on craft beer (@TheMaxRebo I thought of you!) that my husband thought was awesome. We decided to pay the additional fee to visit the exhibit on cannibals. This was....ok, I guess. We try to expose the kids to all kinds of stuff--well-rounded people and all. Most of the exhibit was ok, not super child-friendly, but they were engaged, but parts were WAY too "real," for lack of a better word, for kids that age. It is still what they talk about most, but I can't tell if that's because it was fun or really scary.

This reminds me of the Torture Museum we brought Aria to when she was like 1.5 in Rothenburg, Germany. Hehehe

But with 8 pieces of luggage, that was NOT my first choice.

8!! I will have to admit I don't think I've ever traveled with 8 pieces of luggage!!

Amazingly, a room at the Pop opened up just before noon on Friday, and I snagged it.

That's great, esp for ME usage!

We had some serious pixie dust from a cast member and ended up with a fantastic change of plans. Gotta read to find out what!:goodvibes

Hmm I am really interested to hear about your experiences, and where you ended up staying (esp since you were renting points!). The BLT Studio Villa had me worried in terms of space, but I love the location, so I am worried you didn't get to stay there! LOL

FYI after our Great Wolf Lodge mini-vacation last weekend, she said we should do our vacations in this order: Disney world, Disneyland, Great Wolf Lodge, then back to Disney World. She loves it there too, I guess (though it really REALLY irks me to have GWL up there with anything Disney in her mind, it wasn't that great lol).

You want to know how much I dislike GWL? We went last year to celebrate their bdays. They wanted to go back this year, and I realized that for basically the same price as a room plus food for the weekend, we could buy the Lego Ghostbusters Firehouse (i.e.-- the closest thing to a dollhouse we will ever own:rotfl2:) and I TOTALLY bribed them to pick the firehouse instead of a birthday celebration. GWL is just NOT my thing!!

The last few years I've put my name in for the lottery for the Easter Egg Roll on the white house lawn. I never did get in, but I had really hoped to go in April for that! I won't be putting in my name for at least the next 4 years, baby on the way or not lol...but that's another discussion anyway. (And I only bring that up since we're FB friends so I know your political stances, otherwise I wouldn't say anything haha).

Haha-- yes, a friend from high school is pretty high up in the State Department (I mean, he was, not actually sure of his status this week!) and he had offered to get us White House tix. My grandfather was career military intelligence, worked at the Pentagon and had friends involved in allllll kinds of security in DC, so I've been on the "backstage" WH tour several times. I want the kids to have similar experiences, but now I'm like.....:confused3

So your husband is planning a passport-required, super secret, 40th birthday trip!? WHAT! When is that? That's awesome. I am jealous. I'm going to tell my DH we need to do this (esp since 1- I turn 40 before him lol and 2- I'll be 37 when we're at our debt-paid-off date and after that we'll have lots of free money and I can do fun stuff like plan random trips lmao). A cousin of mine has hosted two foodie small tour groups to Cuba (she's a food editor (or something) for the Dallas Morning News, and I thought her trips sounded amazing! I have been to Montreal and thought it was neat (esp for a weekend, not sure about longer, but I like warmer weather...) and um, BELIZE would be amazing!

My bday is June 24-- which makes me think it might be Montreal, just because any island in the summer is going to be HOT. I'm truly trying not to ask any questions-- this is SO outside the norm for Adam that I'm trying to let it stay mysterious. He is not the best at gifting in general-- we usually just buy something for the house, or art or something for our birthdays, so we aren't really even present people. I'm VERY excited!

And Spain & Portugal will be so amazing next year! I wouldn't worry about pulling the boys out of school for that (if you're going during school) as I'm sure they will learn SO MUCH MORE there than any day at school!

I think we have worked it out so that they will just miss four days-- we can piggyback on Spring Break. Which means I need to figure out when we can do Disney in the fall...where there's a will there's a way! I think we might try to find a free dining time and stay at a moderate, just to keep fits down. This is definitely not the year for an all-out trip!

Hmm I am really interested to hear about your experiences, and where you ended up staying (esp since you were renting points!). The BLT Studio Villa had me worried in terms of space, but I love the location, so I am worried you didn't get to stay there! LOL

I was worried about that, too! We ended up LOVING the option we ended up with-- I definitely have a firm second-place room now (just behind Beach Club, which is my forever favorite!)

Just joining in and am all caught up! #BingeRead It's been a dream to hit the West Coast and I feel we are nearly there with making a trip actually happen! It's great following along your DL TR and getting all the scoop and tips. Great photos too :)

Hi everyone-- it's been such a long time. We had a whirlwind first two weeks of February, when our house hit the market. We live in a small neighborhood with older homes (1920's and 1930's) where there's very little real estate inventory. We did a gut renovation of our downstairs two years ago, with a pretty kitchen and lots of open space, and everybody in the world (or so it seemed) wanted a real estate showing. With two dogs and two (messy) children, it was an exhausting 8 days of showings and an open house. We ended up under contract on day 9, with 3 weeks until closing. We are not going to be able to live in the new house for 6-8 months (we are literally stripping it back to the studs, adding hvac (because in 1921 they didn't have that!) rewiring, plumbing, removing the entire back wall of the house to add on a two-story addition...not habitable!) After a short and fruitless search for a rental that would accept a) a short-term flexible lease b) four animals and c) didn't cost a bajillion dollars, we realized that, financially, moving in with my mom for six months is the best plan. (Oh, lordy, it's going to be a long six months!) That's meant planning to pack and store 99% of our belongings, which has kept me both busy and a little stressed.

In the background of all this, one of my dearest friends has been quickly deteriorating due to metastatic triple-negative breast cancer. She's been right along side me through graduate school, then as our husbands were in law school together, as we entered motherhood six days apart (our oldest two boys have been the best of friends since we introduced them to each other at 1 and 2 weeks old, respectively), through the emotionally difficult first few years of being a junior associate in a corporate law firm (our husbands worked for the same firm until a couple of years ago,) and through the birth of our second sons, a couple months apart. They live a few houses away, and are closer than even our family. They are our people. She was diagnosed two years ago in late January, and was diagnosed with a bone metastasis while still in her initial treatment cycle just 11 months later. The last year has been full of watching and worrying as the cancer spread from her vertebrae to other bones. In late January, she started having breathing difficulty, and we found out that it had spread to her lungs. We had hoped there would be more time, but she died this past Saturday, and my heart is broken. The only bright spot in all this has been that she was an incredibly talented writer, and she wrote beautifully about her journey. Last fall, the New York Times picked up one of her essays for their "Modern Love" column, and within 24 hours she had a book contract with Simon and Schuster. She somehow produced a 300+ page memoir in four months, that's due out in June. The early praise for the book is already saying it's the next chapter in the conversation that started with "Being Mortal" and "Breath Becomes Air," and it's climbing the best-seller lists on Amazon, even in pre-sale. This is heavy stuff for boards that are supposed to be about a theme park, I know, but I've had so much trouble focusing on anything light and fun, like Disney. I'm going to try, though, because it's good to have an outlet and an escape, and I need something to distract me. Please send up prayers, well-wishes and good thoughts for her family, two sons aged 7 &10, and her impossibly devoted husband, and for us, too, as we work through this. I'm going to try and start the January trip report, although I'm not sure what my time is going to look like for the next few weeks, or whether I can write something that's about such a fun (and far-away-seeming) time right now, but I'm going to try.

Our January trip started off with a lot more uncertainty than usual. We live in North Carolina, where snow happens every winter, but it somehow always seems like some sort of apocalyptic event each and every time:confused: We were scheduled to fly out Saturday, January 8, on an early-morning flight. When the weather folks started saying we might be getting some snow, I sort of brushed it off. As they increased the forecast from flurries to several inches, I realized we needed a plan B for our travel day. Initially, I thought we'd just drive to Raleigh (about an hour away) and get a hotel near the airport. As it began to look more and more likely that we might get significant snowfall (which here TOTALLY means no flying) I thought we maybe should drive. We planned to leave Friday as soon as Adam could get away, and drive far enough south to avoid snow, probably near Savannah, which is about 5 hours from us. There were not any flights that left late enough that Adam felt like we could make it (he was SLAMMED at work the week before we left) but I had major reservations about hitting the road at 5 pm with the weather so uncertain, but I went ahead and started preparing for the drive (got an oil change, stocked up on water and snacks, etc.). We decided to do what we always do the night before a trip: hit up our favorite Mexican place and celebrate our vacation with a margarita and too much cheese dip. While we sat there, I pulled up the Southwest page again, and lo and behold, there was a 4 pm flight out of Raleigh that suddenly had seats available! In about 5 seconds we made the decision to try and get on that flight, and I was on the phone with Southwest. We had three tickets booked with points and one paid for with cash, which meant each reservation had to be handled separately. There was a tense minute where it looked like one of the seats (there were only four left on that plane!) had disappeared, but we ultimately were able to book all four. We learned later we were on the phone at the exact same time as a work friend of Adam's, and we got the seats he was trying to get! They ended up flying down the next morning at 5:30 before the snow started, so all was well.

With travel plans secured, it was time to find a place to sleep. I figured we would book whatever value was cheapest, and take the Magical Express over when our flight landed, shortly before 6 pm. When I checked the website-- there was NO vacancy! None! I called Disney, and they had the very helpful solution of a $2500 a night Presidential Suite at AKL. I decided to finish packing, and worry about it in the morning. Worst case scenario, we book a room at the Orlando airport hotel (which was still over $300 for the night) and get to Disney first thing in the morning. I did NOT want to spend that much extra, though, and of course we would MUCH rather be in the bubble sooner rather than later!

As I rushed to get everything ready, I still took a few minutes to document my totally OCD packing:rotfl2: I find it makes switching hotels as much as we were planning to much, much easier if I take the time to really organize and pack every outfit the kids will wear (because they both ASKED to match this trip, which meant specific outfits for specific days!) I start out by laying out everything by both child and day, all the way down to socks and underwear. image.jpeg

Then I go back and bag everything up and label it by day/park. I keep all the ziplock bags after each trip, and use tape to label the bags, so at least I'm recycling?:thumbsup2
image.jpeg

It's so worth the extra couple of hours it takes to be able to throw the labeled bags at them in the mornings and go get myself ready!

With bags packed (all 8 of them-- two medium suitcases, two carry-on size suitcases, a rolling duffel, a zipper bag with all our toiletries, shoes and other things that go with us to each hotel, a computer backpack and my giant satchel I fly with that holds everything we might possibly need while traveling) and tickets in hand, I sent the kids off to school Friday morning while I finished packing up the grown-ups and getting the house put back together so my mom (who was dog sitting) didn't need to live in a pig sty.) I kept refreshing the Disney booking page, and, to my utter delight, around 9:30 a room at the Pop opened up! It was nearly $200/night with taxes:eek::eek::eek: which is about twice what I've ever paid for a Disney value, BUT it meant we didn't need to try and get an Uber from the airport and then to Disney the next day, so I jumped on it. Later, talking to all the other displaced travelers on our flight, I was very glad I did. Everyone else was off-site, with all kinds of crazy transportation options.

I picked up Chick-fil-A for everyone, and picked the kids up right before 1. Adam pulled in at 1:30, and we rushed off for the airport. Our flight was supposed to leave at 4:00, and with the drive plus parking time, we were cutting it close, so I sat there eating waffle fries and stressing out. We arrived, he dumped the bags out with me to check with a Skycap, and rushed off to park. I have said it before and I'll say it again-- flying Southwest out of Raleigh is worth EVERY hassle that their "no assigned seats" policy presents. Southwest has a dedicated terminal, with parking just across the street. I was able to get the luggage checked in, take the kids to the bathroom, and meet Adam at security in under 20 minutes. Security itself took under 10, and it's not crazy rushed and frantic like some airports, where you (or at least I) feel so crazed with shoes, belts, laptops, etc. We made it to our gate at 3:30...only to hear the flight was delayed until 4:30. Whomp, whomp. We were actually relieved, and decided to grab Starbucks and chill for a few minutes. I practiced my "we are C group but we really want to sit with our kids" sob story (we had checked around 10 pm, so all the A&B groups were filled) and scouted out the most sympathetic-looking desk clerk. Luckily, they took pity on us and we had no issues. Our flight was uneventful, and we landed at MCO and headed towards baggage claim. This was, of course, a HUGE pain, but I didn't want to risk our luggage not getting to us via ME since we were on a different flight, and since we were landing late enough that it was possible they would come knocking on our door at like, 11 pm. The kids did such a good job of schleping everything from Terminal A to Terminal B with us, even up and down two escalators (because the elevators were taking freaking forever!) Soon enough, we found ourselves on our fabulous motorcoach, where I took this non-fabulous picture.
image.jpeg
It seemed to take FOREVER to get to Pop-- we were the last stop, and I think there were three others. We unloaded, and Adam went to store most of the luggage with bell services, the kids rushed off to the fabulous kids' waiting area, and I headed to check in.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After a few minutes wait, we were ready to go find our room. I didn't write it down, but I think we were in the 70's building, facing the lake? We were not there for the views:rotfl:

After getting the luggage stored, putting away our heavy coats, and grabbing our magic bands, we headed off to Everything Pop for dinner. (My grand plans to visit Disney Springs were not to be-- we were pretty tired, and it was after 8 pm at this point) I cannot remember anything we ate-- I remember not liking it, but being too tired to really care. We headed back to the room, and I did some squishing and squashing to try and get winter coats, shoes, etc. to fit into our suitcases, since it was going to be pretty warm the next morning (although REALLY cold weather was heading to Florida, so we would need all those things again soon!)

The boys passed OUT, and we followed shortly behind them!
image.jpg

The next morning, we were up bright and early, and ready to go. I will say, we have stayed at Pop several times, and we've always had a very good experience with the rooms being clean and welcoming. Whenever the budget allows, we opt for more space/proximity to the parks, but we've happily stayed several days at the Pop and really enjoyed it (other than the insanely crowded buses, but at least they come frequently!) This stay was... not so great. The room was DIRTY. I understand that the rooms get wear and tear, and I try not to stress about that. But the surfaces were FILTHY, the bathroom was gross and it just did not have the level of care we've always experienced. I could have said something, but at that point I was just ready to move on and get on with our trip.

image.jpeg

We headed over to breakfast, and of course we had to stop for a picture! Note the "cool guy" pose back there from our very tween-y ten-year-old. You will probably see a lot of that this trip....

After breakfast, it was pouring rain, and we made a mad dash for a waiting bus that was going to the MK. We needed to get to the Poly to store Adam's computer with bell services; he had a 2 pm phone call and would need it out then, and they couldn't guarantee our luggage would transfer by then. With the rain and the time (it was a little before 8, and we were hoping to make a 9 am MK rope drop), though, we made a split-second decision to hop off and call an Uber to go straight there. We had the CRAZIEST uber driver ever, and the seatbelts in the back didn't work. UGH. I was praying nothing happened as we zoomed through Disney with no car seats, no seat belts and pouring rain! (Luckily it was fine, but this is something I always struggle with with kids/cabs.)

We arrived at the Poly and Adam stored his computer while I photographed the kids and breathed in deeply. I LOVE the Poly. It might be my favorite resort at Disney. It just feels so immersive, and happy and VACATION-Y. We were aloha'd, welcome home'd and were off for our first monorail ride of the trip!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
We ended up under contract on day 9

That is amazing. One of the things I worry about with selling our house if/when we do, is just the logistics of cats/dogs/kids/toys/etc lol! 9 days isn't so bad! ;)

we realized that, financially, moving in with my mom for six months is the best plan.

I couldn't. NOPE. Never! hahahaha

In the background of all this, one of my dearest friends has been quickly deteriorating due to metastatic triple-negative breast cancer. She's been right along side me through graduate school, then as our husbands were in law school together, as we entered motherhood six days apart (our oldest two boys have been the best of friends since we introduced them to each other at 1 and 2 weeks old, respectively), through the emotionally difficult first few years of being a junior associate in a corporate law firm (our husbands worked for the same firm until a couple of years ago,) and through the birth of our second sons, a couple months apart. They live a few houses away, and are closer than even our family. They are our people. She was diagnosed two years ago in late January, and was diagnosed with a bone metastasis while still in her initial treatment cycle just 11 months later. The last year has been full of watching and worrying as the cancer spread from her vertebrae to other bones. In late January, she started having breathing difficulty, and we found out that it had spread to her lungs. We had hoped there would be more time, but she died this past Saturday, and my heart is broken.

This is SO SO sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that your boys are friends with hers, and that hopefully that will help her sons cope with the loss. How horrific.

She somehow produced a 300+ page memoir in four months, that's due out in June.

That is amazing.

On to Disney stuff

$2500 a night Presidential Suite at AKL.

MMmmk house mortgage payment

because they both ASKED to match this trip

That's adorable! And amazing for boys their age. I'm still amazed Aria wants to match Maya - and some days she specifically states she does not want to.

image-jpeg.223000

This is what our library looks like when I am packing, although usually I then use a grocery bag to bag up each pile of daily outfits to keep the days together too.

I kept refreshing the Disney booking page, and, to my utter delight, around 9:30 a room at the Pop opened up! It was nearly $200/night with taxes:eek::eek::eek:

That's crazy high lmao! But nice to be able to use ME and all that.

flying Southwest out of Raleigh is worth EVERY hassle that their "no assigned seats" policy presents. Southwest has a dedicated terminal, with parking just across the street

Love that, sort of like Providence - so easy! Love being able to walk to the parking, too.

I practiced my "we are C group but we really want to sit with our kids"

Hahahah glad you got that figured out

The room was DIRTY.

I would email about that. NOT OKAY to spend $200 on a Value room (which is a rip off) and then have it be dirty to boot.

We had the CRAZIEST uber driver ever, and the seatbelts in the back didn't work.

Eeek!

Glad you made it to the Poly - what an adventure you had getting to that point!

I couldn't. NOPE. Never! hahahaha
The house selling fast was such a blessing-- I was STRESSED by all the showings. I basically did nothing but drive the dogs around for the first four days, which isn't a viable option for more than just a few days. I guess you could use doggie daycare, but here that's $60/day for the two, so...no! I'm trying to get to my zen place about living with my mom. It helps that we will be gone SO much in the next few months. I was looking at the calendar, and we are only home like 5 weekends between now and August. I told Adam we will be going to stay at a hotel once a month just to get away! When I saw the numbers on paper, though--since we'd be paying rent plus the mortgage on the new house, it was just WAY too much money to throw away! Send magical thoughts:rotfl2:

This is SO SO sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that your boys are friends with hers, and that hopefully that will help her sons cope with the loss. How horrific.
Thank you. It's so hard, I wasn't prepared for this kind of grief. But we all have each other and that's helpful.

MMmmk house mortgage payment
I kept waiting for the punchline-- like, "but for YOU it's just $200!" The girl was so earnest-- I think she actually thought we might book the room :rotfl:

for boys their age. I'm still amazed Aria wants to match Maya - and some days she specifically states she does not want to.
NEVER where friends can see them. Never, never, never, never. I actually wasn't prepared for them to want to match this trip-- I barely had any matching Disney shirts that still fit, and I ended up running around like a crazy person getting things made/ordered the week before we left.

That's crazy high lmao! But nice to be able to use ME and all that.
No kidding! I think anything over $100 for a value is sort of a rip off.

$200 on a Value room (which is a rip off) and then have it be dirty to boot.
Now that I see what happened with @Dugette i really wish we had emailed. Maybe they would have given us the Presidential Suite after all:rotfl:

Good Morning! I've been doing what I often do, dreaming about Disney to distract me from the less magical aspects of real life. It helps. We are plugging along with the house sale; despite the world's WORST buyer, we are crossing everything that by 5 pm today (end of the due diligence period) we can breathe easy about the closing next week. Every step since accepting the offer has been a huge hassle, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if the buyer backs out, despite us bending over backwards, a glowing inspection report (esp. for a 80-plus-year-old house) and a pretty generous closing offer, all to avoid having to go back to showings and to keep to the timelines for the new house. Send pixie dust!

I'm also daydreaming about a Disney vacation. I'm watching Free Dining predictions, plugging in dates, and running numbers. My initial fall plan was to book the Poly over Labor Day, but the timing and the budget were just not ideal. If we are going back in 2017, we need to be pretty budget-conscious, and Caribbean Beach is our best option. My kids LOVE this resort. Of course, the ideal week to go is likely excluded from FD; I'm going to check with our magical travel agent to see what she can do. Those tickets are actually discounted a fair bit, and come with a water park day, which sounds really fun. Will report back as I make plans, but my hope is to go for 8 days, 7 nights, either the week of Halloween or the second week in November. I'm only looking at places that sleep 5, because I'm REALLY hoping to bring my friend's son with us (the one who just passed away) as a fun distraction. I think he would have a blast, and he's never been!

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Back to the trip report-- our first morning at Disney! We had just checked in at the Poly, storing Adam's laptop for the day, and we headed to the MK. We hopped on the monorail and headed down the ramp towards the Opening Show, which had just ended. I was not aware that the show was closing permanently that week, or we would have made firm plans to see it. I REALLY loved it and will miss it quite a bit. We were in the MK later in the week after they instituted the new Hub welcome, although we were headed to BOG for breakfast and didn't stop to watch.

Our first order of business was to stop for our first ever Photopass photo! (Not really, but the first one we would actually be able to access at home!) I have never done PP before, but we will most certainly do it again. I love having all the ride photos, as well as all the neat little park shots. Plus, I'm actually in the photos-- hooray! Our first stop was the Christmas tree, which stayed up for most of our trip.

From there, I think you can guess where we headed next...
image.jpg
image.jpg
DUH.

Our next stop was Peter Pan-- our first ever Disney ride and a family sentimental favorite. I think the new queue area is just adorable, and we make a point of going through at least once per trip. This time was fairly rushed, as the park had just opened and lines were pretty short everywhere.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Pixie dust!
image.jpg
JH was my ride buddy this time.

After that, the boys (including the 30-something year old one) were clambering for some Space Mountain action, so we headed there next.
image.jpg

We decided to see if they would let us ride both tracks since the lines were still very short. One of them was MUCH better than the other, but I cannot remember which. The left, I think?

We were letting the kids tell us what they wanted to do, and they wanted to ride Barnstormer. So we did.
image.jpg
I know it was drizzling at the moment, and I had on my poncho. I remember it was also going from warm, wet and muggy to wet, windy and cold. I was the only sensible person with jeans and a sweatshirt on (hey, I looked at the forecast and shared it with everyone else while they got dressed. Not my fault they ignored me!) JH was being a PAIN. He is the more easy-going of my two, but he is also the one most prone to "baby of the family" behaviors; when he's unhappy, he wants everyone else to be unhappy, too. I don't remember now what he was mad about, but I know he was being a real pill while we rode the train to the front of the park.
image.jpg
image.jpeg
Grady, however, was having his own private opening show moment. He was waving at everyone streaming into the park, and yelling out "GoOOOOOOD MORNING!" and generally just having a fabulous time. We looped all the way around to Frontierland, where we got off, with the plan to hit a few rides, do a pirate adventure, and get some lunch. I decided to hit the Frontierland pretzel cart, and a pretzel made JH's mood disappear, so I guess he was just hungry?

Leaving off here. Coming up, more rides, some lunch, and Elsa blows into the MK.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter