Easter 2019... huh?

rcs

Mouseketeer
I’m hoping one of you smart DVCers can help me out here.

We’ve been planning a family trip with kids and grandkids to a Kidani villa the last week of April 2019. I was aghast when I saw the point 2019 charts. That week has always been a “magic season” week. Not so in 2019, when it is “premier season”. And a grand villa in premier season takes more points than I had set aside to stay the long week. It seems this is all because Easter is late in 2019 (April 21).

Here’s where you can help satisfy my curiosity.

It’s my understanding that Easter is set to be the Sunday following the full moon on or before the vernal equinox. The vernal equinox is March 21. There is also a full moon on March 21. Which, to me, would make Easter the following Sunday, or March 24, not April 21. It’s probably obvious, but I’m missing it… could someone kindly explain what I’ve got wrong?

Thanks!

The catholic calendar I have, has Easter in 2019 as April 21st. So that is why it's Premier Season. Also why instead of going in April 2019 we are going in February 2019 to only be going in Magic Season. Our kids April vacation falls during Easter in 2019.

Hi
The first full moon after the vernal equinox (Mar 21st) is Friday April 19. Thus making Sunday April 19th, Easter.

Just for clarification, Easter is the first Sunday after the full moon after the vernal equinox, hence April 21, 2019. Hope this helps.

Reactions: rcs

My daughter is doing the marching band trip for spring break this year. Spring break is the last week of March for us. I'm receiving the Premier Season Beatdown this year due to where Easter falls (April 1).

The vernal equinox is March 21. There is also a full moon on March 21.
The full moon is at 01:42 UTC March 21st. The Vernal Equinox is at 21:58 UTC March 21st. So the first full moon after the equinox is not until April.

Reactions: rcs
Thank you all! I knew some of you smart folks could set me straight. This makes sense now.

I'm still unhappy about the "Premier Season Beatdown" as wnielsen1 so accurately phrased it, but there isn't much I can do about that... :)

Yeah, Premier Season is a kick in the pants. We have planned our entire DVC vacation strategy to avoid using that many points.

Yeah, Premier Season is a kick in the pants. We have planned our entire DVC vacation strategy to avoid using that many points.
Cash compared to Premier is often relatively favorable so it can be a good time to try something else if one decides to go during the premier time anyway.

My kid's April vacation is always around Easter and Passover. When we bought, we thought we would use our DVC for April vacations (February vacation is best for skiing). But after studying the points charts... uggghhhh. It's 199 points for a week in a standard studio at VGF. We are probably going in 2019 in April but it's painful to think about it.

Cash compared to Premier is often relatively favorable so it can be a good time to try something else if one decides to go during the premier time anyway.

That's good to know. Although... are you saying cash compared to the same size room, or for a regular hotel room vs. standard studio? At least in the hotel rooms the bedding situation is better (1K + sofa bed or 2 Q)

That's good to know. Although... are you saying cash compared to the same size room, or for a regular hotel room vs. standard studio? At least in the hotel rooms the bedding situation is better (1K + sofa bed or 2 Q)
Both. You just have to compare. It's not likely to be as cheap as renting points but it can be fairly close at times. Don't forget you get housekeeping but you also get the privilege of the tax. Like anything financial, with DVC & with Timeshares; you just need to look at specifics. The cash option might come with a discount and also can usually be canceled later if another better option works out.

The full moon is at 01:42 UTC March 21st. The Vernal Equinox is at 21:58 UTC March 21st. So the first full moon after the equinox is not until April.
The Vernal Equinox is 21:58 UTC on MArch 20th. Not the 21st. So March 23 s/b Easter. Church still doesn't explain why it's not.

We’ve been planning a family trip with kids and grandkids to a Kidani villa the last week of April 2019. I was aghast when I saw the point 2019 charts. That week has always been a “magic season” week. Not so in 2019, when it is “premier season”. And a grand villa in premier season takes more points than I had set aside to stay the long week. It seems this is all because Easter is late in 2019 (April 21).

It’s my understanding that Easter is set to be the Sunday following the full moon on or before the vernal equinox. The vernal equinox is March 21. There is also a full moon on March 21. Which, to me, would make Easter the following Sunday, or March 24, not April 21. It’s probably obvious, but I’m missing it… could someone kindly explain what I’ve got wrong?

Thanks!
Hi Mousketter. I agree. Can't find sound reason Easter isn't Sunday March 23. The Equinox comes five hours before full moon on the 20th, or 21st if in America, so Easter should come on 23rd.

Thanks!

Hi Mousketter. I agree. Can't find sound reason Easter isn't Sunday March 23. The Equinox comes five hours before full moon on the 20th, or 21st if in America, so Easter should come on 23rd.

"The date of the vernal equinox is significant in Christianity as it is important for the calculation of Easter. As decreed by the Council of Nicaea in AD 325, Easter always falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon that occurs on or after the vernal equinox. However, by convention Christian churches have fixed the ecclesiastical date to March 21 and base all calculations on this date even if the astronomical date differs."

Old farmers almanac:

In 2019, the full Moon and the spring equinox occur on the same day: Wednesday, March 20. But wait—wouldn’t that mean that Easter should be held on Sunday, March 24? According to the rule given above, yes. However, because the date of the spring equinox changes over time, the Church ruled that for the purpose of calculating Easter, the spring equinox would always be observed on March 21, even if the equinox actually occurred on the 19th or 20th.

Since the first full Moon after March 21 doesn’t occur until April 19 this year, Easter will be celebrated on Sunday, April 21.

" However, by convention Christian churches have fixed the ecclesiastical date to March 21 and base all calculations on this date even if the astronomical date differs."

Didn’t see this part of your response until after I went looking and responded.

Still not sure about Easter. I understand that the church says March 21 is Spring start, even if actual equinox is a day or so earlier. But is also says the next full moon 'On or after' that date. The full moon is on March 21st in Europe (the 20th still in USA) so that full moon should count. And in 2008 the same thing did happen with full moon on the 21st of March and the following Sunday, March 23rd that year, was Easter. So I still don't understand why it isn't March 24th this year??? And who actually calculates and decides?

Still not sure about Easter. I understand that the church says March 21 is Spring start, even if actual equinox is a day or so earlier. But is also says the next full moon 'On or after' that date. The full moon is on March 21st in Europe (the 20th still in USA) so that full moon should count. And in 2008 the same thing did happen with full moon on the 21st of March and the following Sunday, March 23rd that year, was Easter. So I still don't understand why it isn't March 24th this year??? And who actually calculates and decides?
It is based on the ecclesiastical full moon not the astronomical full moon. The former of which is an approximation. However you are correct when Easter would be if the true astronomical full moon is. The Catholic Church set the rules in the council of Niciea prior to many (I believe all) of the modern Christian churches split. Thus they all use the approximations. However eastern churches use the Julian calendar while western churches use the Gregorian calendar. So eastern and western churches can sometimes celebrate Easter on different dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!