Eastern, DCL vs RCCL - info and advice needed!

My husband will be completing his Master's Degree and CLSSBB in May, then launching his second career. I'm celebrating by giving him a cruise!

We've only cruised DCL. Due to schedules, we can only cruise a specific week in May. I've got a 7-night Eastern on Fantasy booked (moved an OB booking). It would be our first time on Fantasy.

We LOVE DCL. But I'm not closed to options. RCCL also has an Eastern from Port Canaveral the same week. Ports are the same, except Cocoa Cay vs Castaway Cay.

DCL has one clear advantage to me - I know it, and preparing for the cruise would be MUCH easier for me. RCCL (or any other line, for that matter!) is a complete mystery to me. And I don't have much time/energy to do a lot of "homework." But DH likes a lot of activity, and I'm thinking there might be more for him on Freedom of the Seas than on Fantasy.

Thoughts? Advice? Should I shift from DCL/Fantasy to RCCL/Freedom? If I do, what do I need to know ahead of time to make an RCCL cruise not stressful?

A little about us. We don't gamble. We do drink. We will be traveling without our teenagers. I like shows and relaxing. He likes moving, being outdoors, and activity. We both like to know enough about where we are going to make the most of the money we spend.

TIA!

My opinion, FWIW - give your husband a present of a more active cruise. Rock walls, flow riders, etc. are going to appeal to him more than the DCL ship. Personally, I liked CocoCay more than Castaway Cay.

Also, I think we all plan too much for cruises; I know I'm guilty. By the time I get on the ship, I've looked at pictures and videos, planned meals, drinks, excursions, shows, etc. and there are no surprises left. It sort of sucks. Being here on the Dis and on Cruise Critic, one would think everyone plans every detail but they don't. Only a small percentage of cruisers ever go past the cruise line website. They pay, pack and go. They always seem to be having as much fun as I am on cruises. Possibly more! All our obsessive "homework" causes the stress, not the other way around.

Stop looking and planning, book the RCCL cruise, pack and go! Anything you need to know you'll find out on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter