easy French recipes for DD's project?

stamper

Sammy smiles!
Does anyone have an EASY French recipe (dessert would be nice)? My 11yo DD has a project to do on France and making a recipe is on the extra credit list. Is there any hope? HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!

TIA,
Tasha

How about eclairs? I think this may sound harder than it is...

Buy puff pastry, flatten the sheet and use a pizza cutter to cut it into rectangles. Bake as per directions.

Buy a can of "Thank You" Brand vanilla pudding. It's ready made and tastes like excellent custard.

Buy a can of your favorite chocolate icing.

Now, after it's baked, take the puff pastry and separate it like a sandwich. Add custard, to all the rectangles, and then put the top back on.

Microwave the frosting for about 30 seconds, until it's pourable, but not liquid. Frost the tops. Refrigerate for at least an hour. These are best on the same day, or at least the next morning.

:) Hope you like it! They are delicious...but then again, it's not authentic...did I blow it? :rolleyes:

:)Good Luck!

The recipe above is for Napoleons, I believe. They are easy, delicious and look great. You can also frost them with a vanilla glaze first, then stripe them with chocolate and trace lines through the chocolate with a toothpick. (If I find a picture I'll post it later)

Eclairs are shaped like hot dog buns, filled with pudding or cream and topped with chocolate glaze.

Napoleons
img16.gif

Eclairs
img24.gif

Yummy! :bounce:

Another dessert she can probably make are individual fruit tarts.

Peppperidge Farm puff pastry tart shells
Vanilla pudding (I prefer the cooked variety and add a few pieces of orange peel as I cook it, then remove the peel when the pudding is cooled.)
Fresh fruits like strawberries, kiwi, grapes, etc.
Apple jelly

- Bake the pastry shells till golden brown. Cool.
- Place a few spoonfuls of cooled vanilla pudding within the center of the shells.
- Top the pudding with sliced strawberries and other fruits. Arrange in colorful designs.
- Melt some apple jelly in a small saucepan over low heat. Brush the fruits with the jelly.
- Refrigerate until serving time.

tartpic.jpg

Margie, I guess it's kind of a mix of the two..they taste like eclairs...I just call them my lazy eclairs. It's easy and great for brunches...nobody knows I skimped. But if need be, you could make the pastry, make a good egg custard, and then make a chocolate glaze. I've done that too...but it's a day long process. When I discovered this, and everyone loved it, I was sold.
:D

Hey, I just thought of something else...Petit Fours! Maybe easier yet!

Get cake mix of your choice...make it as directed, then bake it on a cookie or sheet pan. Make it as thin as possible without it being impossible to deal with.

cut them into small squares, and layer with raspberry or some other wonderful jam.

Glaze with a basic powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk galze.

buy some cute toppers that would fit the class and your' done. You would also get a lot, so it may work for you.

:D hope this helps!

I knew I'd get some help from my fellow DISers! Not sure what she'll choose. Will let you know how she makes out. There is still time for more ideas!?!

There's always chocolate mousse. If she doesn't want to go through the bother of a traditional recipe both Knorr and Nestle make great mixes.

I've used the Nestle mix a few times and it comes in different flavors (dark, milk, Irish Creme, Mocha, etc.). Mixed with milk and whipped it's pretty good. She could pipe it into chocolate shells (often in the baking section), plastic cups or individual graham cracker shells. To fancy it up a bit more, there are pre-molded chocolate decorations that she can place on each dessert. Another thing to try is to layer chocolate and white chocolate mousse in plastic cups. Very fancy looking.

In the baking section you should be able to find disposable decorating bags with a set of tips. They come in a box of like 20 bags with three or four tips.

Well, the project is due tomorrow! I am leaning toward the mousse idea, hopefully she'll think it sounds good!

A great big Merci from DD and me to all who gave suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter