Easy H'orderves That Will Travel

Annie&Hallie'sMom

<font color=deeppink>Things turn out best for peop
Mom has asked me to help out with food for their party. I have no problem bring appetizers, but am concerned because it takes about 90 minutes to get to their home.

Any suggestions on some easy (and tasty) things that will travel well?

Do you want fancy h'orderves, or would something like spiced oyster crackers be ok? This is a family favorite!

24 oz oyster crackers
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 serving hidden valley ranch, powdered
1 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp lemon pepper

Instructions

1. mix all ingredients, except oyster crackers together.
2. Put oyster crackers in a jelly roll pan. Pour oil mixture over it.
3. Stir until all crackers are coated.
4. Bake at 200 for 20 minutes stirring once

When I get there, yes I will have access to an oven, but I would like to do as much "premaking" as possible.

What about buying some of those frozen finger foods at a warehouse club? They could be thawing on the trip over and you could just toss them in the oven when you got there?

I'm all for EASY!!!:)

That's not a bad idea. BJ's has these hors d'oeuvres that are rollups - you just defrost and serve - they are fantastic and are a huge hit wherever I bring them. They are roll-up sandwiches with pesto and turkey or sun dried tomato and cheese cut into very thin roll slices. They serve quite a few people but are not so big that you can't bring them to a small party. $9.99.

I don't know if the other clubs have them too - but these are fabulous because there is no cooking involved and they taste awesome and are perfect finger foods.

I have made those Spiced Oyster Crackers before and they are very good. Also I have a recipe for Spinach Balls, Stuffed Mushrooms, Parmeasean Onion Canapes, Taco Dip, Cheeseball, Stuffed Celery, if you would like any of those let me know. Vegetable trays with dip are also nice.

Connie, I would love to see the recipes you mentioned (and I'm sure others would too!)

Yes please share I am planning a luncheon and some of the recipes sound durable.

Cyndi princess:

2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
1 large onion
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (canned or fresh)
2 cups stuffing mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Chill 1/2 hour. Grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. Roll spinach mixture into small balls. Bake 15 minutes. Option: sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese on top and cook another 5 minutes until brown. Makes about 4 dozen. The uncooked balls can be frozen for later cooking.

2 pounds fresh mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed (save stems)
1 1/2 pounds lean bulk pork sausage (I like Bob Evans original brand in the tube because its not too greasy)
7 slices American cheese, cut up
Garlic salt to taste

Chop mushroom stems and mix with sausage. Saute mixture until sausage is cooked. Drain. Add cheese to sausage and cook slowly until cheese is melted. Season to taste with garlic salt. Stuff mushroom caps and place in two greased 9x13 pans. Bake uncovered 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Note: refrigerate any leftover stuffing to use in omelette or desired way.

1 cup mayo
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon milk
1 loaf sliced cocktail bread, lightly toasted

Mix first 4 ingredients; spread on toasted bread. Place on baking sheet, broil until golden brown and bubbly.

2-8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese
1-16 oz. sour cream
2-1 1/4 oz. envelopes taco seasoning
1 head shredded lettuce
1-2 diced tomatoes
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black olives (optional)
taco chips

Blend cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until smooth. Spread on large serving plate, 1/2" thick. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced black olives. Serve with taco chips.

1-3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachio nuts
12 two inch long pieces of celery

Blend cream cheese, worchestershire sauce and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in pistachio nuts. Fill celery with mixture.

2 pkgs. (I use cheap) hot dogs-cubed
1 can beer
1 cup brown sugar

Pan boil one hour. Transfer to crock pot. Sauce will thicken.

1 pound bacon, cut into thirds
2 cans whole water chestnuts
toothpicks

Sauce:
1 cup mayo
1 cup chili sauce (12 oz.)
2 cups brown sugar (1 lb.)

Wrap bacon around chestnuts and fasten with toothpicks. Bake in pan 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Drain grease or transfer to another pan. Cover with sauce and cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter