Easy trade in for II

dairyou

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Hi!

We have some frequent flyer miles and would like to go somewhere tropical through II. We tried 2 years in advance trade with II before with no success. I think the timeshares we were trying to get were to hard to trade into (Westin St John, Marriott Maui ect.).

Can someone tell of an easy to get destination, or is this really impossible? We are flexible to go anytime. One or two bedroom is fine :)

Thanks!

Deb

The Kona Coast on the Big Island in Hawaii is, for Hawaii, an "easy" trade. The resort is very nice, although you have to walk across a golf course to get to the beach. The island itself is rockier and more volcanic than Maui, but there's a lot to see and explore.

Any HH option off season, Caribbean for much of the year, esp St. Marteen, Cancun (esp now), anytime MX between late March and November, HI Sept, Oct and early Dec, Central and South FL same time frame, CA Desert Summer, CA coast winter, and similar. But easy trade and sitting in II's bank are not necessarily the same thing. A 2 BR may be tough still as many of these places have smaller units and lockoff's. Email me directly about specific areas and I can try to check to see what's sitting there.

Thank you both for the specifics' :)

I'll call MS and find out what there is available. I guess my mistake last time was thinking January, February and March were off season.

Thank you again!

Deb

dairyou said:
Thank you both for the specifics' :)

I'll call MS and find out what there is available. I guess my mistake last time was thinking January, February and March were off season.

Thank you again!

Deb
Xmas to Easter is the busiest time for warm beach areas with The week between Xmas to New Years, Easter and President's week being the highest for most areas. Mid summer will be the next for most of them. Same will be true for FF miles which you typically have to schedule a full 330 days ahead. I know I wasn't able to get the days I wanted using FF miles 330 days out from return date for early to Mid June for Aruba.

Okay...just called MS. No trades available for 2006 or 2007 to Hawaii or Aruba. I guess since I have frequent flyer miles I'm trying to figure out how this all works. If I wait until they call me (which could be months before we go), how will I book with my FF miles?

You can tell I am totally illiterate in all this.

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks Again Dean!

Deb

It's difficult to combine a II trade with frequent flyer miles, because except for a few locations you do have to wait for a match--which makes flight booking difficult. When I mentioned the Kona Coast in an earlier posting, I didn't mean that you could make an instant match. But you can often match there within a couple of months of posting your request. In your case, that might not work. Dean and others can give you advice on renting your points and then renting accomodations in some of these locations.

After speaking with DH, we pretty much came to the same conclusion.

I think we will probably rent our points and use the money towards our accomodations. Since we rarely have FF we wanted to go somewhere different. We wanted to use it outside the US.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Deb

dairyou said:
Okay...just called MS. No trades available for 2006 or 2007 to Hawaii or Aruba. I guess since I have frequent flyer miles I'm trying to figure out how this all works. If I wait until they call me (which could be months before we go), how will I book with my FF miles?

You can tell I am totally illiterate in all this.

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks Again Dean!

Deb
First, there are ways to extend your FF miles so if you're worries about use them or lose them, you do have options. But assuming you are going to use them and they expire 2007 Dec, here are some thoughts. In part it will vary with your possible travel times, needed unit size and the like. If you can do with a 1 BR or less, HI and Aruba are still viable options. If you need a 2 BR, MX may be a better choice. Basically decide which is more important, using a trade or using the FF miles. Assuming the FF miles are more important (esp if you plan to rent your points), get travel nailed down then look for a trade. You can always be looking and then later rent if it works out. Try to put in for many weeks and resorts as much as possible. Remember you can use double the miles with most companies and get anything available. If you end up with air waiting on a unit, make sure to make a cancelable reservation for the room portion.

Okay...I'm a bit lost on some of the abbreviations Dean used...MX? I'm always curious when I see the threads about trading...guess it goes with being a new DVC member. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about all the possibilities with our DVC...and the fact that I would love to travel to just about any place. So, I guess any insight into this whole thing...abbreviations included...would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Just curious - how difficult is it to trade into the Westin Villa at St John? I've stayed there before (not on points; bought someone's TS week) and loved it.
Wondering what DVC members' experiences have been.

I put a trade into Westin St. John 2 years in advance and never got in. But then I thought January, February and March were slow seasons. Dean probably can answer more accurately.

Deb

Winter/spring (Jan-April) is high season in the VI - summers tend to be slower. There's a HUGE difference in price between a winter/spring week and a summer week for a timeshare at the Westin, so I would imagine it's quite a bit tougher to get in with points during the high season. Has anyone tried low season (July-Oct)?

Sox_Fan said:
Just curious - how difficult is it to trade into the Westin Villa at St John? I've stayed there before (not on points; bought someone's TS week) and loved it.
Wondering what DVC members' experiences have been.
Difficult enough you should count on not matching. But looking 2 years out is the way to try. Summer school out is not that much lower for that area. IF you can go when school is in session for May, Sept, Oct, early Nov and early Dec, you can improve your chances tremendously. You, might match your first time and not again for 5 or even 10 tries, just no rhyme or reason.

Dean said:
Difficult enough you should count on not matching. But looking 2 years out is the way to try. Summer school out is not that much lower for that area. IF you can go when school is in session for May, Sept, Oct, early Nov and early Dec, you can improve your chances tremendously. You, might match your first time and not again for 5 or even 10 tries, just no rhyme or reason.

Good to know ahead of time. St. John is a place we like to visit, so we can always rent a villa (non-Westin) if the trade doesn't pan out. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter