Eat at Home 3!

Last week kind of went sideways on me but in a good way, I think. The grocery had turkeys on sale for $.25/lb. The thing is we’re empty nesters this Thanksgiving and will be camping out of town so a 13 pound turkey was definitely overkil. Still, I can’t imagine December without turkey leftovers. I ended up ditching the planned burgers in favor of:

Friday
I roasted the bird on Friday so, instead of the burgers we had:
Turkey
Cornbread dressing
Sweet potato casserole
Brussels sprouts

2180CDB7-41AE-444D-B486-6FF834B614BB.jpeg

I’m not a fan of sweet potato casserole and skipped it in favor of more dressing 😋

Saturday
DH had tickets to the Arkansas-LSU game on Saturday so I just scrounged.

We’ll be empty-nesting this Thanksgiving and decided to take our travel trailer to Natchez for the holiday. We have reservations for Thanksgiving dinner here:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...age_House_Restaurant-Natchez_Mississippi.html

11/24-30

Sunday

Lunch out with friends, too full for dinner!

Monday
DH smoked the wings and legs of the turkey and I used them to make a turkey chili with black beans and sweet potatoes. I’ve never put sweet potatoes in my chili before and it was all kinds of tasty!

0B459302-037E-4566-920C-B7EEC9DCB980.jpeg

Tuesday
Spaghetti with andouille
Salad

Wednesday (Natchez)
Turkey and andouille gumbo
Rice
Salad

Thursday (Natchez)
Thanksgiving lunch out

Friday (Natchez)
Burgers (Grill)
Oven baked sweet potato “fries”

Saturday (Geaux Tigers!) (Natchez)
Snacks for game time
Pulled pork nachos
Veggies/dip

Last edited:
Cleaning out the fridge and pantry as we leave this week. Leftovers from dinner to be lunch the next day.

-Monday: pasta with red sauce, meatballs from the freezer, roasted green beans (I sprinkle veggie seasoning on fresh green beans with the ends snipped off and roast until done)
-Tuesday: Baked Italian chicken, cauliflower tots, the rest of the green beans
-Wednesday: Breakfast sandwiches and tater tots
-Thursday: going to a client's "Healthy Happy Hour"
-Friday: Off to St Augustine until Monday for a wedding! BF is one of the groomsmen :groom:

We’re eating out this Thanksgiving but I couldn’t resist $.25/lb turkey and $.19/lb local sweet potatoes. My goal when I rejoined this thread was to clear out my pantry and deep freeze but I‘ve been going the wrong way lately!

Ours didn't grow food wise, but the day of we realized we didn't have a proper knife to cut into the braised spare ribs...so the guys went to Walmart for an electric knife, and they couldn't find one....so they came back with a drywall knife :sad2::rotfl2::laughing: FYI it doesn't work very well, lol. THEN it was realized that the homemade Mac and cheese (our friends got the ingredients to use with our instant pot) and they forgot evaporated milk. So BACK to Walmart the guys went. Then someone dropped a whole bottle of (unopened) red wine (luckily it was on the tile floor and not the rug.....), that we also needed to braise the short ribs, besides drinking of course:). SO BACK TO WALMART...again. It was an eventful Thanksgiving, lol.

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Last week DS didn't eat with us too much since he had his girlfriend and other friends in town for Thanksgiving break, so DH and I did leftovers a few nights since I still cooked the full meals on the nights he didn't eat with us. Now I have a few carryovers. This Thu-Sun DH's mom and her husband are visiting (they were out of town the week we went to TX so we didn't get to see them) but I anticipate going out to eat those nights since there's stuff here they can't get there- and they'll want to at least want to eat at the restaurant DS works at.

Sun: finish off Thanksgiving leftovers (DH just nibbled on them a bit Fri so we still have enough for a full meal for the 3 of us)
Mon: stovetop kabobs
Tue: pizza pasta
Wed: crockpot meatballs (made w/leftover cranberry sauce & chili sauce) and cheesy mashed potatoes
Thu-Sun: out

I ordered a crockpot holiday recipe cookbook from our niece's school fundraiser so I'm excited about trying stuff in there. Crockpots are the best for me on busy Mondays!

I am so not in the mood to cook. I can make all this pretty quick with minimal effort.
  1. Spaghetti and green beans
  2. Crunchy beef tacos, salad
  3. Beef chili
  4. Sausage, waffles, eggs, fruit
  5. Ham steak and more green beans
  6. Beefy Chinese noodles
  7. Grilled cheese and salad
I already did my grocery run ($85 yikes) and I just need salad stuff and stir fry veggies because Kroger was wiped out.

I am so ready for Thanksgiving! I have already ordered a lot of my stuff like the turkey and some of the staples.

Wednesday: (carry over from last week)
Baked Fish
Rice Pilaf
Broccoli

Thursday:
Out to Dinner with Friends

Friday:
Pasta Carbonara
Garlic Toast

Saturday:
Porcupine Meatballs
Mashed Potatoes
Fried Okra

Sunday:
Pesto Chicken Soup
Garlic Toast

Monday:
Red Beans and Rice
Corn Muffins

Taco Tuesday:
Tacos
Cantaloupe
I was just today explaining to my DH what porcupine balls were!

I'll be making a menu tomorrow...but we successfully finished off all of Thanksgiving with my Thanksgiving soup for lunch today (pretty much all the single serve feast stuff left, some stock from the turkey (the large container was frozen - and the excess went here), the gravy, the wine...and since I didn't have quite enough solids, I threw in a can of corn). As always, it was wildly popular, and now I have a wide open fridge.

With the leftovers gone, and with my kid taking a national Japanese test today, I planned a "celebration" dinner, so we had ribeye with a homemade red win sauce, caremlized onions, roasted tomatoes, make-your-own fully loaded baked potatoes, and a golden kiwi/clementine/grape salad. Again, I had nothing left...but I was a little light on steak (and tomatoes), so I wasn't surprised. Nothing left, but no one dying for more...the best end for dinner:).

More plans tomorrow...

Oversized Roasted Turkey....Let me count the ways....

Friday, Turkey stir fry with brown rice

Saturday, Turkey wild rice soup

Sunday, Turkey sandwiches with a cup of turkey wild rice soup.

Monday packed lunch..."Thanksgiving feast wrap" with turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and a bit of turkey gravy.

No menu this week. I have a solo trip planned to see the Christmas decorations at all of the parks. I’m supposed to leave tomorrow. The problem is I cracked a tooth (while FLOSSING of all things!) and will be having a bunch of major dental work done today. Fingers crossed that I’ll be up to the ten hour drive. DH will just scrounge out of the fridge tonight. I have the freezer stocked with meals, some for him to have at home while I’m gone, some that I’ll take with me to Florida.

I'll be making a menu tomorrow...but we successfully finished off all of Thanksgiving with my Thanksgiving soup for lunch today (pretty much all the single serve feast stuff left, some stock from the turkey (the large container was frozen - and the excess went here), the gravy, the wine...and since I didn't have quite enough solids, I threw in a can of corn). As always, it was wildly popular, and now I have a wide open fridge.

With the leftovers gone, and with my kid taking a national Japanese test today, I planned a "celebration" dinner, so we had ribeye with a homemade red win sauce, caremlized onions, roasted tomatoes, make-your-own fully loaded baked potatoes, and a golden kiwi/clementine/grape salad. Again, I had nothing left...but I was a little light on steak (and tomatoes), so I wasn't surprised. Nothing left, but no one dying for more...the best end for dinner:).

More plans tomorrow...

And here's the rest of the menu after a shop:)...
Sunday (the steak dinner above - it was SOOOO good:))
Monday - Baked Chicken "Fries", Sunflower Cranberry Salad Bag, Raspberries/Blueberries, Hawaiian Rolls
Tuesday - Chicken Tacos with Guacamole and Salsa, Refried Beans, Sliced Pears
Wednesday - Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Breast, Roasted Asparagus, More Raspberries/Blueberries
Thursday - Crockpot Duck - I bought the Aldi's duck with the orange sauce, and I want to see if I can crock it like a turkey - I'm gonna remove the duck skin for a later use (or to bake into crackling), White Rice, Roasted Zucchini, Clementines (to reinforce orange flavor)
Friday - Duck Pot Pie - any leftover duck and veg will go into a pioneer woman version of her leftover turkey pot pie - I'm gonna add sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots to anything I have, Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - Sandwiches and Chips or Leftovers - my oldest 2 are going to a fancy French place for a birthday lunch...so I'll take my boys to their preferred lunch...and then dinner will be very, very simple and cheap

I am supposed to eat more leftovers tonight, but I am not sure I could stomach another bowl of Thanksgiving. Ugh. Just too much. The idea makes me queasy but I have no idea what to have instead. I am already home from work (had to go in super early) so it could be about anything. I just don't know.

I will freeze the rest of the turkey for later on.

Tonight I will be FINALLY using the last of the leftover turkey for some Turkey Noodle Soup and Grilled Cheese...YAY!!!!!!!!!! We STILL have a huge load of mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole left, but we have eliminated everything else without throwing food out. VERY proud of that! And I have created menus to use up those pesky potatoes!

A friend gave us TWO deer over the weekend, so we have lots of clean, fresh venison in the freezer now that will cover all of our "beef" needs for the winter.

Wedensday:
Ham Steaks
Sweet Potato Casserole
French Style Green Beans

Thursday:
Porcupine Meatballs (still haven't made these from my menu 2 weeks ago- meat in the freezer)
Mashed Potatoes
Fried Okra

Friday:
Cheeseburger Macaroni (ground venison)

Saturday:
Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Egg Noodles (rice for me)
Broccoli

Sunday:
White Bean and Smoked Sausage Soup
Corn Muffins

Monday:
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (ground venison)
Garlic Toast

Taco Tuesday:
Chicken Enchiladas (another carry over from last week)
Mexican Rice

I wanted to share a little "tool" I have been using in menu planning for the last couple months. It is a monthly email with a meal ideas calendar. This is what December's calendar looks like:

20191202_140621 (1).jpg

I just use it as a jumping off point, or if I need new ideas to add to what I have so far for the week. If you are interested in getting the email each month, here is a link to the web site I found it on: https://www.easybudgetblog.com/

I wanted to share a little "tool" I have been using in menu planning for the last couple months. It is a monthly email with a meal ideas calendar. This is what December's calendar looks like:

View attachment 456171

I just use it as a jumping off point, or if I need new ideas to add to what I have so far for the week. If you are interested in getting the email each month, here is a link to the web site I found it on: https://www.easybudgetblog.com/
That's cool- thanks for sharing! It reminds me of when my DS was in kindergarten. They had "homework" every night and it was printed on a monthly calendar like this. They were allowed to jump around and complete in whatever order they wanted, or do extra one night if they had something going on and couldn't another night. I love the idea of planning a month out like this. I may have to make that my New Year's resolution!

I can't believe I forgot to post my menu last week. The joy of being sick over Thanksgiving week.

Sunday: Turkey, Cranberry, Brie sandwiches with homemade apple sauce
Monday: Spicy Chicken roll ups, left over mashed potatoes, leftover cranberry sauce
Tuesday: Tacos
Wednesday: Buffalo Chicken, sweet potato wedges
Thursday: Chili
Friday: Homemade Pizza

Jumping onboard. We need to clean out our fridge and pantry before vacation.

Sat: Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread
Sun: Chinese chicken and rice with egg rolls
Mon: Chicken, veggies and crescent rolls
Tues: Tamales and beans
Wed: Roasted pork loin, veggies, and crescent rolls
Thurs: Ravioli and garlic bread
Fri: Pizza night

Jumping on board as well!
  • Olive Garden copy cat Zuppa Toscana soup (use kale instead of spinach. making now to have for quick meals as needed)
  • Pioneer Woman Sour Cream Noodle Casserole (prepping tomorrow to bake later in the week)
  • Arabic rice dish (brown ground beef with Arabic 7 spice blend on stove, add to rice cooker with rice and water and 1T butter, cook on white rice setting. Serve with plain yogurt or Laban on the side).
  • Blue Apron meal Harissa-Fig Chicken Thighs & Orzo Salad.
  • Glorified Sauerkraut and smoked kielbasa
  • Salad, Brussels sprouts and baked potatoes as sides as well as canned/frozen veggies to clean out pantry/freezer

I need to stop eating out and ordering in. It's hurting the wallet AND my health. So step 2 in my new eating plan (step 1 is adding more vegetables/fruit to my meals) is no eating out except for previously planned occasions. I will also allow myself $50 a MONTH for those times I just want something else or I forget my lunch.

So here are my plans for this week.
Breakfast: Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches with fruit
Lunch: Ham and Swiss Sandwiches with veggies and hummus
Dinner:
Sunday - Tuesday: Pot Roast, onions, carrots, and potatoes and a salad
Wednesday - Thursday: Shrimp and veggie stir fry
Friday: Katsudon and stir fried bok choy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter