Eating at Lounges?

So I'm considering Citricos or Cali Grill for my next solo trip. I was thinking instead of making an ADR, to try and eat at the lounges instead. I've eaten at Brown Derby Lounge and I LOVED it.

Also, do you prefer Citricos or Cali Grill?

We prefer Citrico between those two. I'd also consider Narcoossee or The Wave lounges.

California Grill is our favorite restaurant, but the lounge can be difficult to get into. If you want to go suggest you go earlier in the evening. Citricos is a good option too, but we do not enjoy their food as much as CG. Jiko also has a small lounge, but you can only get appetizers there instead of a full meal but it is also a good option.

California Grill is our favorite restaurant, but the lounge can be difficult to get into. If you want to go suggest you go earlier in the evening. Citricos is a good option too, but we do not enjoy their food as much as CG. Jiko also has a small lounge, but you can only get appetizers there instead of a full meal but it is also a good option.

I have been able to get anything from the Jiko menu at Cape Town (small Jiko bar/lounge) before, on multiple occasions. Wonder if it depends on the bartender/night?

ETA: Victoria Falls at AKL also has some food items if you are at AKL and want a meal/drinks.

As a seasoned solo traveler and big fan of lounge dining, your options are quite varied. Since that means you 're not on a Dining Plan, it opens up some other options. Bluezoo and Il Mulino (Swan/Dolphin) have great food/service in their lounges, with more choices and generally better food than the Disney hotels.

Between Citricos and CA Grill lounge, I give an overall edge to CG, especially since there is the added benefit of fireworks viewing (and you can return later to watch the show if you dine earlier in the evening). You need to show your dinner receipt to regain access. Just know that their lounge can be a madhouse that's not in keeping with the pricetag. Citricos is fine and less frantic, but it just feels like "hotel food," (albeit good hotel food) with a relatively limited menu. I have had excellent service on every visit, however.

Morimoto Asia is an outstanding solo choice, either in the lounge, sushi bar, or the knock-your-socks-off omakase experience (pre-booking/deposit required). I'm also a big fan of the counter "cooking place" at Jiko. I like to build a multicourse meal with just non-entree courses and paired wines. Two or three selections from apps/soup/salad and dessert makes for a perfect leisurely meal with nice interaction from the staff. I believe you need to reserve a spot at the chef's counter directly (not through the app/website).

I also find Tiffins at AK to be a generally good solo dining place. Although the menu seems to have been dumbed down a bit, they have kept some of the best dishes. It is also quite serene for in-park dining. Unless, of course, there happens to be a nightmare family in the house (sadly, a risk almost anywhere in WDW).

As a seasoned solo traveler and big fan of lounge dining, your options are quite varied. Since that means you 're not on a Dining Plan, it opens up some other options. Bluezoo and Il Mulino (Swan/Dolphin) have great food/service in their lounges, with more choices and generally better food than the Disney hotels.

Between Citricos and CA Grill lounge, I give an overall edge to CG, especially since there is the added benefit of fireworks viewing (and you can return later to watch the show if you dine earlier in the evening). You need to show your dinner receipt to regain access. Just know that their lounge can be a madhouse that's not in keeping with the pricetag. Citricos is fine and less frantic, but it just feels like "hotel food," (albeit good hotel food) with a relatively limited menu. I have had excellent service on every visit, however.

Morimoto Asia is an outstanding solo choice, either in the lounge, sushi bar, or the knock-your-socks-off omakase experience (pre-booking/deposit required). I'm also a big fan of the counter "cooking place" at Jiko. I like to build a multicourse meal with just non-entree courses and paired wines. Two or three selections from apps/soup/salad and dessert makes for a perfect leisurely meal with nice interaction from the staff. I believe you need to reserve a spot at the chef's counter directly (not through the app/website).

I also find Tiffins at AK to be a generally good solo dining place. Although the menu seems to have been dumbed down a bit, they have kept some of the best dishes. It is also quite serene for in-park dining. Unless, of course, there happens to be a nightmare family in the house (sadly, a risk almost anywhere in WDW).

My DH and I regularly prefer lounge dining almost everywhere we travel, not just WDW. We love Tiffin's and hope the bar menu did not get too dumbed down. I've never had a problem getting a seat for two at the bar (one will be even easier) but the tables are full of families camped out for hours. This is one lounge where a one drink minimum would free up seats. I don't know if you can order the bread service at the bar but if you could that would be awesome.

Il Mulino has some of the best dining on property and we enjoy walking the boardwalk afterwards. Bluezoo can sometimes have really great Happy Hour specials with some awesome appetizers but they aren't consistently offered. We just check the signs outside as we pass by.

I had a solo dinner at Flying Fish that was just awesome. Although the restaurant was packed and booked for the evening I went to the bar for a nice fish dinner while the DH got himself some pizza and a beer. The bar was completely empty and comfy. Yes there was a nightmare family there but it was loud and they the kids were running around far away from me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter