Eating Healthy Is Boring!

Yeah, it's tough when you have certain things you like.

Many years ago, I used to faithfully by Cooking Light magazine. They often would take standard recipes and lighten them up. At some point, they changed a lot of their recipes to include very "new" trendy types of foods and I often didn't care for them. When I used to make 5-6 new recipes from the magazine to making none (or one if I was lucky) I had to stop spending the bucks for the magazine only to be disappointed. I still try to go online and look at their recipes to find one. Occasionally I luck out. I find their stuff to be successful when I cook it. I think the test them out well before publishing.

That's a good point, too. The trendy new foods are hard to spend the money on to not know if you can cook it or will like it. Especially true with DH who is sensitive to smell and textures of things he's unfamiliar with. If it's not delicious, it's a one and done and won't do again. I can and will try to get used to a new to me food.

I laughed on Sunday as he was preparing to go out of town. DD who is 17 and will eat most anything and I were plotting our "dad doesn't eat that" meals that we would cook and eat this week. But the joke has been on us as things have come up and I've done zero cooking this week as she and I have had several meals out with other obligations that we have both had.

Tonight, I'll make broccoli cheese soup that she's been wanting. I will have baked salmon (dh doesn't care for fish).

I find I do best when I stay largely in the general direction of the Mediterranean diet. I'm not rigid about it, but overall I just tend to feel better all the way around when I eat that way. Something I've found annoying from time to time over the years has ironically probably helped me immensely, I can't really eat fast food without repercussions. Plenty of times when I'm pressed for time or absolutely not feeling like cooking I'd really like to just pull on up to the drive thru and call it a day, it just seems so easy. I think if I didn't know I was going to pay, and pay, and pay for it the temptation to give in would be strong.

I also think the winter doldrums make meal planning even more blah at a certain point.

So jealous. After hitting menopause 3 years ago, my weight loss as taken MUCH more effort. When I was in my 30s, I could get it off with reasonable effort. Heroics are now involved!

Menopause, combined with a serious illness that my DD had, is what put the 30+ pounds on. I hear you. Menopause will totally do a number on your metabolism. I've never had to "watch what I eat", and in my 20's had trouble not dropping to an unhealthy low weight....but then menopause, and the scale starting inching up. To lose, it was a combo of cutting calories (not dramatically....had to be realistic) and bumping up exercise (ran instead of walked) and voila, it started to drop back off. The first couple of weeks were HARD, but since then, it really hasn't been awful. And, I track what I eat....I can't "trust myself" to remember. I eat it. It goes in the tracker. That way, I KNOW what I'm doing, and I became automatically more accountable.

I think a lot of it has to do with what we are used to eating. Been in the South and live near New Orleans all my life where we are known for really good food.

The challenge for me has been to re-learn to find healthy recipes and ways of cooking our favorite foods and buy the ingredients for those recipes. Very different than what mom, grandma, mother's in law and anyone else a generation or two before me cooked. DH and I grew up on the foods they all made and those foods are familiar and comforting.

It's quite a challenge to still be around the majority of people who cook with those tried and true traditional recipes. I would love to find a cooking class for the healthy eating lifestyle that we should be following which remakes our favorite comfort foods. Working and eating with people who have not and will not change their cooking/eating styles is also part of the challenge.

Looking up recipes on the internet is time consuming and a task to try new recipes and then be discouraged when they don't turn out right.

But, at home we will do it for our overall health. DH is the one that has the hardest time with trying anything that has a different taste, texture than what he's grown up with. It's just part of his personality that he prefers comfort and familiar in all things.
My dad was a chef and his cooking was VERY rich. Chicken Franchise would have a pound of butter, soups started with lots of bacon grease, sauces were made with heavy cream. And the salt. Oy. But when he put a plate in front of you the portions were normal servings that looked positively tiny compared to what you get in today’s restaurants. I could go to dad’s house, have a meal and not worry about it because a small serving was completely satisfying. Over the years I’ve learned to modify his recipes to less artery clogging, heart attack on a plate versions that I can put in rotation on a regular basis. The trick is to start slow and work your way down and let your tastebuds get used to the changes. Instead of a pound of butter try 3/4 and then 1/2 then just a 1/4. Eventually you will get used to and even prefer it.

OP, I agree with you. Part of my "eating healthy" (which I'm not doing BTW) is calorie control and I think that's where the boring part comes in for me.

Right now, in the dead of winter and not feeling great because of it, eating decadent things seems to be my only joy. I can cook but don't often have the time so I find cooking and researching recipes drudgery. With a hurt ankle and several food limitations, it all just overwhelms me and, yes, BORES me.

Mjckamom, your food sounds delicious, but shrimp, curry, and most beans are digestively problematic for me. It's a struggle these days. But I need to get on board with it.

This week I researched some Paleo recipes (just trying to lower some carbs a bit) and found a recipe for chicken, brussel sprouts, apples, balsamic and rosemary all roasted on a sheet pan. Sounded delicious. But it was super boring tasting when it came time to eat it.
brussell sprouts boring???:faint: last night I was craving them! I use a combo of salt and SPICES to create fantastic dishes.(along with oil) last night was a simple olive oil,salt,pepper,garlic powder and balsamic vinegar,toss and bake until *dark* brown and getting crispy edges on a baking sheet....:love: I learned a few years back when I had a suddenly restricted diet how to make 'clean' foods taste really good! (usually involves spices,and a roasting pan of some kind to be honest. I also LOVE making soups in different variations..... Since everyones definition of 'health' food can look different only you would know what's 'allowed' and how to prepare it.....
a simple potato, cubed,oiled and spiced is sooooo good when roasted on a sheet pan (if you eat potatoes that is) sub in almost any veggie with the same IMHO

Dietary restrictions, so yes.....boring
last week I made a pot of soup for a family with severe diet restrictions....they raved about how good it was! I did a riff on an italian wedding soup with meatballs,and just adapted to the restrictions...... and it was quite good!

last week I made a pot of soup for a family with severe diet restrictions....they raved about how good it was! I did a riff on an italian wedding soup with meatballs,and just adapted to the restrictions...... and it was quite good!

Ooooohhhh....a healthy version of Italian wedding soup?? Please, do tell. I love soup, but never eat it because the base stock is always so darn salty.

Ooooohhhh....a healthy version of Italian wedding soup?? Please, do tell. I love soup, but never eat it because the base stock is always so darn salty.
well,like I said I made it based on this fams special needs..... I make my own broth/stock from leftover chicken dinners,so I can salt i how I like- I made the meatballs using OG beef , a little bit of fine ground gf oat flour,egg yolk,and some crushed spinach and spices- then I just added those to the chicken broth (spiced appropriately for the recipe) along with some cooked whole grain brown rice (instead of pasta) and more chopped kale and spinach.(like I said,I always start with a recipe and create variations anyway)
I've honestly found the key to cooking any food is the spicing..... learning how to spice foods changes everything.
instant pot + roasting pans are my life:rotfl:

I think a lot of it has to do with what we are used to eating. Been in the South and live near New Orleans all my life where we are known for really good food.

The challenge for me has been to re-learn to find healthy recipes and ways of cooking our favorite foods and buy the ingredients for those recipes. Very different than what mom, grandma, mother's in law and anyone else a generation or two before me cooked. DH and I grew up on the foods they all made and those foods are familiar and comforting.

It's quite a challenge to still be around the majority of people who cook with those tried and true traditional recipes. I would love to find a cooking class for the healthy eating lifestyle that we should be following which remakes our favorite comfort foods. Working and eating with people who have not and will not change their cooking/eating styles is also part of the challenge.

Looking up recipes on the internet is time consuming and a task to try new recipes and then be discouraged when they don't turn out right.

But, at home we will do it for our overall health. DH is the one that has the hardest time with trying anything that has a different taste, texture than what he's grown up with. It's just part of his personality that he prefers comfort and familiar in all things.

The Eat This, Not That cookbooks focus on comfort food. I also have some good recipes from Cooking Light.

I also wanted to mention about the comparison is to the 'unhealthy' foods that we are accustomed to eating.
I have eaten more healthy.... (not restricted or nuts-and-twigs) for many many years now.
And, you know what... Once you are accustomed to this, and learn to add back in the flavors and food ingredients and spices that you like... The truly unhealthy foods that you used to think had the flavor (grease and salt) are just almost gross and overly greasy and salty. Along with fake imitation fillers, additives, MSG, etc....
Your tastes do accustom and evolve!!!!

Okay, I too am from the south... Last night I got a wild hair and made something that I would have made occasionall/often years ago.
Home-made Country Fried Steak and Gravy, potatoes, etc...
OMG, it was so good!!!! I used a good top quality lean ground sirloin, everything was natural and home-made.
It was delicious. And, guess what, not too unhealthy either, especially if you limit the gravy.
I sent a big plate to a good neighbor up the street, who is older, and not well, and might be going into the hospital tomorrow.
My son has always done his lawn and work on his property. He will be checking on his house and taking care of his dog.

brussell sprouts boring???:faint: last night I was craving them! I use a combo of salt and SPICES to create fantastic dishes.(along with oil) last night was a simple olive oil,salt,pepper,garlic powder and balsamic vinegar,toss and bake until *dark* brown and getting crispy edges on a baking sheet....:love: I learned a few years back when I had a suddenly restricted diet how to make 'clean' foods taste really good! (usually involves spices,and a roasting pan of some kind to be honest. I also LOVE making soups in different variations..... Since everyones definition of 'health' food can look different only you would know what's 'allowed' and how to prepare it.....
a simple potato, cubed,oiled and spiced is sooooo good when roasted on a sheet pan (if you eat potatoes that is) sub in almost any veggie with the same IMHO
My family eats roasted brussel sprouts like candy. I halve and boil for about 10 mins (a trick my DD’s chef showed her to take the bitterness out) then mist with olive oil and sprinkle of salt & pepper, roast until crispy. We keep buying more and more but never have any leftovers. :rotfl: I agree, the tastiest veggies are roasted and seasoned well.

Most stocks are not only VERY high in sodium, but look at the other additional flavorings and additives.
If you aren't able to make your own stock, READ LABELS. Check the more 'natural' brands and versions... check other grocery stores, and those that are like health food stores.

That's all.
I remember reading some study that food consumption (and therefore weight and obesity) increases when there is more of a variety in food/diet.

That being said, you can try to get creative with healthy things. On Weight Watchers, I found myself making the same 0 point vegetable soup over and over, so I still am making soup but now varying it (one week was the staple one, one week was ratatouille based one, this week is an Asian mushroom one).

My dad was a chef and his cooking was VERY rich. Chicken Franchise would have a pound of butter, soups started with lots of bacon grease, sauces were made with heavy cream. And the salt. Oy. But when he put a plate in front of you the portions were normal servings that looked positively tiny compared to what you get in today’s restaurants. I could go to dad’s house, have a meal and not worry about it because a small serving was completely satisfying. Over the years I’ve learned to modify his recipes to less artery clogging, heart attack on a plate versions that I can put in rotation on a regular basis. The trick is to start slow and work your way down and let your tastebuds get used to the changes. Instead of a pound of butter try 3/4 and then 1/2 then just a 1/4. Eventually you will get used to and even prefer it.

Oh yea, I get it. It's DH who struggles LOL!

A few years ago, it was recommended that he go on the DASH diet. I bought a DASH cookbook, we picked out meals, bought ingredients, I cooked them. We all ate the food with the modifications,etc. DH lost some weight, but it was not sustainable for him as instead of bringing the heart healthy home prepared foods to lunch, he ate out and put some of the weight back on.

I was the one eating the leftovers, etc. Nope. Not going to continue to stress myself, to research the meals, shop for the meals, cook the meals, eat the meals, if you are not going to do what you need to do. He had to find his own way of doing what he needs to do to take the weight off. So, he is working on his own portion control and making his choices while eating out. He gets plenty of exercise during the week, so it's not that.

I shop and cook mostly grilled proteins and roasted vegetables at home with little grains, starches, dairy, etc. I make my own stock and broths and DD and I love soups. Dh not so much. I prefer to find Paleo and Keto recipes. This is much more pleasant and sustainable for our household than the drastic changes we tried. And before the DASH diet, I did not cook traditional southern fried and greasy food at home. Our mom's did, but I didn't like the mess at home.

And I do believe dhs issues have a lot to do with genetics. He is not obese and neither are his parents, but they both have high blood pressure and are on medicines for it. One of our son's bps runs close to high and he eats really healthy and exercises and is at a good, healthy BMI and weight. This son is the one who is most like DH. So I truly believe it's in the genes. Our other kids do not have high bp and 2 are built more like me-and my BP runs low.

The recipe had all the things I like (brussel sprouts, balsamic, rosemary) but at the end, it was truly blah. Don't know why. It's so disappointing.

That's a good point, too. The trendy new foods are hard to spend the money on to not know if you can cook it or will like it. Especially true with DH who is sensitive to smell and textures of things he's unfamiliar with. If it's not delicious, it's a one and done and won't do again. I can and will try to get used to a new to me food.

I laughed on Sunday as he was preparing to go out of town. DD who is 17 and will eat most anything and I were plotting our "dad doesn't eat that" meals that we would cook and eat this week. But the joke has been on us as things have come up and I've done zero cooking this week as she and I have had several meals out with other obligations that we have both had.

Tonight, I'll make broccoli cheese soup that she's been wanting. I will have baked salmon (dh doesn't care for fish).
That's what my older son and I used to do when I had a few weeks off in the summer and the little ones were in daycare and my DH on break! We are the foodies and the ones who will eat different things.

I find it hard because DH and the little ones (twins-6) don't like fish, beans, or salads.
Vegetables is hard because every single person is picky. Green beans is pretty much the only thing agreed upon. When I am making a meal for everyone, it gets boring to add green beans to it every single time or make two vegetables or just know that someone will not eat it.

I have some healthier recipes that I keep track of. They may be 'lightened up' versions, low sodium (especially chicken broth), or taking advantage of as little processed items as possible, etc.

I don't assume I'm necessarily eating healthy healthy but I do like to be able to control more of the ingredients with hand making something. Just made a Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew Tuesday night. If it had been a store-bought slow cooker bag (you know the ones that have all the ingredients in the bag and you just add water often in the frozen section) it likely would have been laden with a ton of sodium.

I have found that doing freezer meals can help out in the department of both time and flavor. Looking for recipes and pre-making them can help curb the more unhealthy habits like fast food when you just don't want to make something that night--much easier to defrost something in the fridge overnight or for some recipes straight from the freezer to the oven and let it do the cooking for you since you already in the past made the meal and put it in the freezer.

We do a mix of freezer meals and making meals that night and we rotate around. Sometimes we have a more simplier recipe like pork chops and sometimes we have more complex recipes. I keep a binder of the recipes we've printed out and then there's Pillsbury, Pinterest, and Food Network that I get recipes on as well.

That's what my older son and I used to do when I had a few weeks off in the summer and the little ones were in daycare and my DH on break! We are the foodies and the ones who will eat different things.

I find it hard because DH and the little ones (twins-6) don't like fish, beans, or salads.
Vegetables is hard because every single person is picky. Green beans is pretty much the only thing agreed upon. When I am making a meal for everyone, it gets boring to add green beans to it every single time or make two vegetables or just know that someone will not eat it.
I feel your pain. It’s rare there’s a meal in my house that everyone loves but if three out of five like it then I put it on the table. My family has learned their favorites will come around. I will make two veggies though. At least half of us will eat both and my thought is you can never have too many veggies.

My DS was the worst eater. He was underweight until about 5/6. Every time I took him to the pediatrician I was afraid they’d call CPS because I couldn’t get the kid to eat. For him it’s a texture thing so I started looking for ways to cook things to change the texture up. Turns out he likes a lot of things he thought he didn’t. He hates mashed potatoes but he’ll eat roasted potatoes. It’s no big deal for me to toss an already cubed up potato into the oven for him. He doesn’t like tacos but he’ll eat a taco salad. I don’t cater but if the components are already there and he wants to eat them in a different way no harm, no foul. He is now by far my most adventurous eater and will try anything once.

I am loving the comments about the more picky/limited husbands (and kids)
DH could eat SO simple and limited.... he was raised on a meat, mashed potatoes, green beans...

I am the wanna-be foodie!!!
Last time I dragged him somewhere was to a new Greek/Middle eastern place for Gyros.
To bad it wasn't a great experience. Not enough tender meat, and tons of Tzatziki... Ugggghhhh!!! Tzatziki Gyros/Sandwich anyone???

I'd recommend a Netflix series called Salt Fat Acid Heat. It's an education on adding things, usually at the end of cooking, that will amp up the flavor. Salt is something that you almost have to add, but you need to have "good" salt that adds minerals to your body. You get used to it, and the "bad" table salt tastes like carp.

We eat primal / Mediterranean. Good quality ingredients make delicious food, and that's never boring. Home made bone broth with good quality bones adds layers of flavor to everything it's added to.

My problem with weight right now is the multitude of decent tasting gluten free goodies available. I'm always saying, oh gosh, I haven't had that in years! Yikes. I think Canyon GF bagels with a bit of cream cheese have put on 10 pounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts