Eating Healthy Is Boring!

Believe it or not, I like both: roasted, charred, sautéed AND I like the frozen, boiled to mush ones too!

These days, my favorite is to saute finely shredded Brussel sprouts (my grocery stores sells them this way).

I cook a few slices of bacon up, remove from the pan. Saute some red onion, add in the shredded sprouts, and saute a bit. I then add 2 tsps. of brown sugar in and it caramelizes them.

See, I had to RUIN them with sugar but that carmelization is fantastic.
There’s nothing wrong with a little sugar, it doesn’t negate the vitamins and fiber you get from the veggies. Two teaspoons is 30 cals and 8 grams of sugar. It kills me when people replace sugar with “healthier” alternatives like honey or agave. They have the same exact calorie count and sugar content as sugar. Unless you have a medical condition that dictates you shouldn’t eat sugar there’s nothing wrong with including it in your diet.

Mush, just no. My stepmother also had a habit of throwing a stick of butter in any vegetables she made. It wasn’t until I was on my own that I discovered I prefer my veggies without. I’ve been wanting to try shredded/sautéed I just keep forgetting to buy them and I’m too lazy to do it myself.

Believe it or not, I like both: roasted, charred, sautéed AND I like the frozen, boiled to mush ones too!

These days, my favorite is to saute finely shredded Brussel sprouts (my grocery stores sells them this way).

I cook a few slices of bacon up, remove from the pan. Saute some red onion, add in the shredded sprouts, and saute a bit. I then add 2 tsps. of brown sugar in and it caramelizes them.

See, I had to RUIN them with sugar but that carmelization is fantastic.

Green beans are good this same way. Lol I think it’s the brown sugar. But if it gets the little ones to eat their veggies I am all for it!

I used to not like many vegetables but have found there are none that I won’t eat roasted. I like to roast a big pan of all kinds of vegetables (or small pans if some cook for different times) on the weekend and then add different mixtures of them to whatever I am taking for lunch. Makes a good change from the usual salad and they heat pretty well in the microwave.

There’s nothing wrong with a little sugar, it doesn’t negate the vitamins and fiber you get from the veggies. Two teaspoons is 30 cals and 8 grams of sugar. It kills me when people replace sugar with “healthier” alternatives like honey or agave. They have the same exact calorie count and sugar content as sugar. Unless you have a medical condition that dictates you shouldn’t eat sugar there’s nothing wrong with including it in your diet.

Mush, just no. My stepmother also had a habit of throwing a stick of butter in any vegetables she made. It wasn’t until I was on my own that I discovered I prefer my veggies without. I’ve been wanting to try shredded/sautéed I just keep forgetting to buy them and I’m too lazy to do it myself.

Ahhhh now! Everything is better with butter! Lol but I know what you mean. Too much can make a mess of things and completely cover the taste of the vegetable. Just a small pat of butter can enhance some though.

Ahhhh now! Everything is better with butter! Lol but I know what you mean. Too much can make a mess of things and completely cover the taste of the vegetable. Just a small pat of butter can enhance some though.
:rotfl:

I do like butter and I use the real thing and make no apologies about it. If I’m having just rice and veggies for dinner I’ll use it and of course corn on the cob isn’t corn on the cob without it but otherwise I prefer them plain.

When our oldest daughter lived in the dorms her first year of college one of the things that she found hardest to live with was that she couldn't get a plain vegetable without a buttery sauce or a cheesy sauce outside of whatever was offered up at the salad bar section. If she was coming home for a visit I'd ask if there was anything in particular she would like made for dinner -- I don't care, but can you please steam some veggies? I reached the point where I would steam large amounts of two separate types when she came home so that she could eat as much as she wanted and there would be enough left for the rest of us also.

Occasionally I'll roast asparagus or brussels or something with some olive oil and cracked pepper and I do roast hubbard squash with a touch of butter, garlic powder and cracked pepper, but generally I steam veggies and serve them plain most every night. Saw something a few days ago about roasting artichokes and I think I'm going to try it out for a change of pace -- once I'm feeling more motivated about cooking again.

:rotfl:

I do like butter and I use the real thing and make no apologies about it. If I’m having just rice and veggies for dinner I’ll use it and of course corn on the cob isn’t corn on the cob without it but otherwise I prefer them plain.

Ah, summertime corn on the cob. I use corn on the cob to deliver my butter and salt. A winning combination!

Ah, summertime corn on the cob. I use corn on the cob to deliver my butter and salt. A winning combination!
My grandma and uncle owned a cabin and my uncle maintained a cornfield there. We’d get there and my DH would be barely out of the vehicle before my uncle had him picking corn. We’d make a meal out of nothing but corn on the cob. So, so yummy.

Oh definitely!

I haven’t had a garden in awhile but used to love having a garden meal for supper. No meat, just all fresh vegetables. Corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, steamed squash and onions, fried okra and green tomatoes, green beans with baby potatoes, butter beans, roasted zucchini and cherry tomatoes and at least one salad of some sort. As you can tell we always had way too many tomatoes lol.

The corn was best the day it was picked so that was the day we had this meal. Tomatoes were always ready so same for them and the cucumber.

MIL still does this for a Sunday dinner once or twice in the summer. Her sons always groan and say “there is no meat!” And they all leave the table full and satisfied.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter