Eating in your own country round the world showcase...

Amelia :)

DIS Veteran
On our next trip I’d really like to try the Rose and Crown, but we are from the UK, and part of me just feels like it would be a little silly, and we should try somewhere else. Does anybody else feel the same way? Do you purposefully avoid eating in your own country at the World Showcase? (Or anywhere else in WDW heavily themed to a particular country/cuisine). Or am I just being completely daft here...

I'd skip it since it's not a huge stand-out, and just stop by for a drink. I'm Mexican American and was raised on Mexican food. I will 100% always stop for a horchata margarita in Mexico, but the food doesn't seem worth getting with some of the other country options. I do love walking around the pavilion in general though!

I was raised by Italians, I live in an area with great Italian neighborhood restaurants, and I cook many Italian dishes very well myself.

So I don’t bother with Italian at Disney. The few times I have in the past, it didn’t measure up to the food at home.

For that matter, I have never tried the Chinese food in Epcot’s China either. We have a lot of very good Asian around here, and I’ve always felt like Disney’s would be comparable to Chinese food at the mall.

I'm Canadian and I absolutely refuse to eat at Le Cellier. I can get steak from Canada for a far better price at home. Also the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup thing drives me nuts. Trust me, if you come to Canada looking for our well known cheddar cheese soup, you will be disappointed. It's not a thing. Nor are we known around the world for our cheddar or soups. I just don't get it.

Sorry, rant, it's my odd little pet peeve... :oops:

I have went to the gift shop, signed the Canadian guest book and chatted with my fellow Canadians though :D

Also I don't order Salmon when I travel in general. I live in Vancouver and I'm a little spoiled by what we have here so I know I'll probably be disappointed.

Yes, I've avoided eating at the USA pavilion, but mainly because it's a quick service place and I mostly prefer table service places. If they had a good table service place, I'd probably try it at least once.

I can understand you might seek out something different from your own country, and that's fine. I will say I like Rose and Crown and have always found the staff there to be really nice.

It is good but I would try something you can't easily get at home. The U.K. has great ethnic food but the world showcase restaurants are highly themed as well. Any one you choose will make you feel like you've spent 90 minutes in that country.
Totally agree here. I normally go for more unique places, things you cant normally get at home. I've only been to R&C once, years ago, because we have so many of those english style pubs here in Canada.

While R&C has good food, i wouldn't say its amazing. There are places with far better food in epcot.

Yeah I don't understand eating in your own country either. I'm one that refuses to eat at ANY restaurant that I can get at home when I'm on vacation so eating in America (even IF they had a great steakhouse there) would be last on my list. I love Rose & Crown myself but I'm an anglophile lol. Save R&C for another trip and step outside the box! To be fair, I've always found it funny that I always see a lot of Mexicans in the Mexican restaurants here....same with Italians in the Italian etc...I always think to myself, "seems like they'd be tired of that food and be hovering around the steakhouses or German joints." lol

I was raised by Italians, I live in an area with great Italian neighborhood restaurants, and I cook many Italian dishes very well myself.

So I don’t bother with Italian at Disney. The few times I have in the past, it didn’t measure up to the food at home.

For that matter, I have never tried the Chinese food in Epcot’s China either. We have a lot of very good Asian around here, and I’ve always felt like Disney’s would be comparable to Chinese food at the mall.
You hit the nail on the head here. I finally broke down a couple of years ago and tried the Chinese table service in Epcot and it was the worst meal of the trip. I ate a few bites and had to trade with my boyfriend. It wasn't so much that it was bad tasting, but there was no diversity at all. You had that one flavor and that was it. Like just a pile of the one thing you ordered and if that was just so so...that's all you got. There was no combination to try in case you prefered one thing over another. Just a big bowl of bland stuff. It's the one place I gave a shot and will never try again. Well that and La Hacienda. All we got was queso and it came in a big stretchy glob that we insisted was Mozzerella (sp?) and you had to cut it with a knife and place the cheese on your chip. Not even close to queso. It was like glue. We were also treated like dirt because we were only there for drinks, apps and fireworks. I think it was the first time I've ever left the food and walked out of a place without tipping.

I say, if that is what you really want to eat, then eat it and don't feel bad about it! :)

I will say, I avoided America at Epcot, just because I knew I could not eat everything Epcot had to offer and wanted to try some other things. That said, I did return to France more than once for Ice Cream during our trip. haha. I also almost never eat Italian out or Chili, because I prefer my family made recipes instead.

We are Canadian and Le Cellier is one of our favourite restaurants - partly because it is themed in Canada. We also love to watch the show in Canada.

We find it cool to have our country represented there in World Showcase and there is a bit of patriotic pride that our pavilion's offerings are good. And mostly because we really, really, really like that filet mignon!

That said, we don't eat a lot of Italian when we travel because we get really good Italian in my city. And also because we rarely crave Italian food. While my DH has an internal radar for Thai joints whether we are in Switzerland or Arizona!

By the way, the American Dream in the US pavilion is soooo good. Slushy layered with soft serve. If you are a slushy lover, give it a shot. Yum!

Not so much for restaurants, but for resorts - we don't stay at Wilderness Lodge (too much like our vacations in Maine) or at the Yacht or Beach Club (too New England-Y).

Understand what you're saying, but I'd go to R&C just for the Scotch Egg. And I like the fish and chips, too.

I'm American, but I live in NYC and was raised in the New Haven, CT area so I am HUGE pizza snob (it's really the only food I have such strong opinions about) so when my friends made plans for us to lunch/rest at Via Napoli, I was a little nervous. BUT, I was super impressed! I really liked their take on the pizza and it was as similar to the style of pizza I prefer as I can usually find outside of the northeast. So, if you want to eat there, go for it! worst thing that happens is you aren't super impressed but the food will likely still be good enough to enjoy and you'll know for next time that you might not want to revisit.

I totally hear you. We don't eat in America bc we would rather try something different. And we don't eat in Italy or China bc we can get really good versions of that food at home. However, if the menu looks yummy to you at R&C, go for it! Just get apps and dessert if that's calling you or just grab drinks at the bar. No reason to NOT go somewhere that looks good.

We are from Scotland - never eaten in the UK in Epcot and never likely to! Not flying thousands of miles and spending thousands of pounds to get a chippy! Always smells great though :P

WDW has some very good restaurants, but compared to a real-deal restaurant specializing in ethnic or a regional specialty, you're inviting disappointment. If you come from the place famous for a a dish, how could it even come close?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!