Ecv and buses

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
I have a trip in June staying at the GF with my 2 DSs. I was in Disney last week and I rented one offsite but my DH was with me and we rented a car. The offsite scooter was easier to manuever than the Disney ones but I worry about driving it on the buses and monorail.My question is if there is any backing out when you use the buses? My DH drove on and off the monorail for me this trip and I think he was facing the exit so he drove off the ramp. Thanks for any advice.

The only backing associated with the bus's is when you have to "parallel park" to get into the ECV space on the bus, and when you have to back up after leaving the space to align the ECV so it can be driven forward off the bus.

Most drivers are very helpful and will maneuver the scooter into place for you. Most offer to do it without you even asking.
Very few of them won't offer to help but if they see you having difficulty, they will assist you. They have to come back and strap you in, either way.

Could always get to any grocery store and start practicing.
Excellent suggestion, or at least practice driving it for a while once you take possession of the scooter at WDW. As a former long time WDW bus driver, please practice driving it and become familiar with all the features. It'll be safer for the user, other Guests and bus drivers.

You didn't ask about backing off the monorail but I'm pretty sure I have at some of the stops. The ramp they put down is fairly wide - just go slowly and you'll be fine.

I also agree that when you get the scooter at WDW, practice driving around the resort and practice "parallel parking" and getting into elevators and backing out and so on. If you can find a non-busy area, try out the different speeds. For the bus, the drivers will help you. You do go backwards just like parallel parking a car so there's some need to be precise. However if you ask the driver they will usually allow you to transfer to a seat and they manually push the ECV into place quickly. I've had some drivers that didn't want me to try to park it myself and seemed more anxious that I wanted to do that - lol! I usually don't have problems doing it but I've seen people struggle with it and understand. If there are 2 ECVs getting on the same bus it can make it more tricky to park as well. Bottom line is don't worry and ask the driver to assist. They will either give you very good instructions or they will put the ECV in manual and roll in in themselves (it's easy to push).

So lets be sure clear about this - you won't have to back off of the buses. I have never seen that happen in all my years going to WDW :)

As @Selket said above, you *may* have to back off the Monorail; that depends entirely on the station you exit at, and which way you entered the Monorail car.

The boats that you can take your rental on will typically have enough room to do a "bootleggers u-turn" - and it is totally allowed to have someone help you with this - you can even get off the scooter and push it if needed.

When you are getting on or off the bus, just let the driver know that you are a new scooter driver, and then listen carefully to their instructions. Don't get flustered, or worried - each driver helps thousands of people with that very thing every week! Go slowly (very important) and remember that you don't have to ride the scooter into the bus - you are allowed to push it in as well, or have someone else in your party ride it into the bus if they feel more confident. The driver will always help you get the scooter turned around so that you are headed forward down the ramp when it is time to drive off the bus. Just make sure to clear the back wheels fully from the ramp before you turn in any direction - you don't want those to get caught on the lip of the ramp.

each driver helps thousands of people with that very thing every week!
Thousands, yikes! Actually it's no where near that number. It varies from route to route, but I'm guessing that on average it may be about 50 or less a week.
Just make sure to clear the back wheels fully from the ramp before you turn in any direction - you don't want those to get caught on the lip of the ramp.
I always caution the Guest about turning too soon but it still happened a lot.

Thanks for the advice. I’m actually leaning towards renting in the park now. I forgot about the elevator at the GF. DH backed it in or out when we were there. Then I was wondering how I would get the ecv in the room if I was alone. I have a bad back and knee so I cant bend or pull. Worst case I will try to rent offsite when Im there if the parks are out of rentals which I doubt will happen. I Will request a buikding near the boat launch to get to the MK easily. The Epcot monorail ramp is tough but I could borrow a chair and have my kids push me or call an Uber if Im alone. I must sound like a big baby but I tend to get nervous easily.

Thanks for the advice. I’m actually leaning towards renting in the park now. I forgot about the elevator at the GF. DH backed it in or out when we were there. Then I was wondering how I would get the ecv in the room if I was alone. I have a bad back and knee so I cant bend or pull. Worst case I will try to rent offsite when Im there if the parks are out of rentals which I doubt will happen. I Will request a buikding near the boat launch to get to the MK easily. The Epcot monorail ramp is tough but I could borrow a chair and have my kids push me or call an Uber if Im alone. I must sound like a big baby but I tend to get nervous easily.

As @kaytieeldr said, the Resort launches at GF won't handle an ECV - and only can take a wheelchair folded (and I'm not sure if they still allow that, to be honest. Plus, you have to be able to manage the steps)

As far as "borrowing a chair" that isn't a thing anymore. The Resorts no longer have wheelchairs that Guests can borrow and the "courtesy" chairs that are supposed to be stationed around the parking lots often... aren't anywhere to be seen. Just trying to set a realistic expectation for you - I would hate for you to plan on using a resource that no longer exists. :)

As far as getting the ECV into the room when you are alone, you can carry a doorstop (or leave one inside the room) and then prop the door open while you slowly and carefully drive through the doorway. At GF there are nice wide interior hallways and lots of space, so it should be fairly easy. And you can always practice with family members on hand before you try it alone! :)

I know it seems overwhelming right now, but once you are there, and you have gotten used to the scooter, it's actually a lot easier than it seems "on paper" :) When I used to think about using a scooter at WDW, I would get super stressed out; it wasn't until I had to bite the bullet and call to have one delivered (literally while I was sitting, crying, in the middle of Epcot) that I found out it wasn't nearly as much of a nightmare as I thought it would be. The other thing that happened - that I truly was not expecting - was that because I was in less pain, and because I had the scooter, I could now not only keep up with my family (and I no longer slowed them down as we constantly hunted for benches and chairs and shade...) but I could set the pace. I was independent in a way that I had not been at WDW in years. I could go get coffee in the mornings before every one was ready. I could pop into the shops if I wanted to, while my party went on to a ride or show.

Hang in there - you can always try an offsite rental, and if it's not for you, have them come and pick it up. But whatever you do, I hope you have a great trip :)

Last edited:
As far as getting the ECV into the room when you are alone, you can carry a doorstop (or leave one inside the room) and then prop the door open while you slowly and carefully drive through the doorway. At GF there are nice wide interior hallways and lots of space, so it should be fairly easy. And you can always practice with family members on hand before you try it alone! :)

I often travel alone and use an ECV, so this has been a big issue for me. And although I tried the doorstop idea, it didn't work for me (couldn't get the doorstop to stay). However, on my last trip I rented Gold Mobility's lightest scooter (Go-Go sport?, not sure of the name) and when I put it in neutral, I could push it in and hold the door open. Recently I read that if you push the door open HARD, it stays open. I haven't tried it but I will next time, and hope it works.

I often travel alone and use an ECV, so this has been a big issue for me. And although I tried the doorstop idea, it didn't work for me (couldn't get the doorstop to stay). However, on my last trip I rented Gold Mobility's lightest scooter (Go-Go sport?, not sure of the name) and when I put it in neutral, I could push it in and hold the door open. Recently I read that if you push the door open HARD, it stays open. I haven't tried it but I will next time, and hope it works.
I carry a Hurry Cane and when I need to get into a resort room by myself I unfold the cane, get the door started with the bumper of the ECV, then push the door the rest of the way open and hold it with with the cane.

We stayed at Yacht Club once and had requested connecting rooms. One ended up being a HA room, and it worked out wonderfully for DMIL who was using a scooter. It had an automatic door where she scanned her magic band and the door opened on it's own (like at a store). You could request one of these rooms at GF. DMIL was very nervous about getting an EVC when we went the first time, and thought she could "make it work". I rented her an offsite one anyway just in case. She couldn't have made the first day without it, and quickly became more comfortable with it. Renting off site will be cheaper and give you the EVC the whole time. The biggest recommendation is to always turn the speed down when you stop. Make sure when you are going onto a bus, monorail, or through a door, the speed is turned all the way down. You can do this!

We stayed at Yacht Club once and had requested connecting rooms. One ended up being a HA room, and it worked out wonderfully for DMIL who was using a scooter. It had an automatic door where she scanned her magic band and the door opened on it's own (like at a store). You could request one of these rooms at GF. DMIL was very nervous about getting an EVC when we went the first time, and thought she could "make it work". I rented her an offsite one anyway just in case. She couldn't have made the first day without it, and quickly became more comfortable with it. Renting off site will be cheaper and give you the EVC the whole time. The biggest recommendation is to always turn the speed down when you stop. Make sure when you are going onto a bus, monorail, or through a door, the speed is turned all the way down. You can do this!

Not *every* HA room at WDW has those doors, just to set proper expectation. Not even every Deluxe Resort hotel HA room has those. For example, Wilderness Lodge does not have the auto-openers.

Not *every* HA room at WDW has those doors, just to set proper expectation. Not even every Deluxe Resort hotel HA room has those. For example, Wilderness Lodge does not have the auto-openers.

It was awesome! I wish they had them in more rooms because for an EVC user (or rooms with multiple EVC users), they really gave a lot of independence.

It was awesome! I wish they had them in more rooms because for an EVC user (or rooms with multiple EVC users), they really gave a lot of independence.
Yes, but I also think that for the non ADA rooms having the ability to push the door hard and keep it open is a good compromise as well.

Just to add to my nuttiness I read that the ecv sensors are going to be used in all parks. I am back to renting offsite. I will be able to do it! Last trip I rode my ecv down the steep and winding path at Beauty and the Beast. I made it down and back up in one piece. My biggest worry is the monorail to Epcot- which door will open to exit? I am not worried about hitting people because I am careful and dont use the full speed. Well I did once from the medical overflow lot at DHS to the entrance because no one was walking near us. When I return to the resort I can park the ecv at the door and wait for my kids to bring it in. Or I can prop the door with a chair. Thank you for your help and Im sure I will be Back with more annoying worries.

Just to add to my nuttiness I read that the ecv sensors are going to be used in all parks. I am back to renting offsite. I will be able to do it! Last trip I rode my ecv down the steep and winding path at Beauty and the Beast. I made it down and back up in one piece. My biggest worry is the monorail to Epcot- which door will open to exit? I am not worried about hitting people because I am careful and dont use the full speed. Well I did once from the medical overflow lot at DHS to the entrance because no one was walking near us. When I return to the resort I can park the ecv at the door and wait for my kids to bring it in. Or I can prop the door with a chair. Thank you for your help and Im sure I will be Back with more annoying worries.
Well, hopefully if enough people complain about the sensors they won't put them on the ECVs and will remove the ones they do have.

But I would still rent offsite, then you don't have the stress of worrying if they will still have any when you get there or not. And depending on your resort, you may not have to prop the door with a chair, try pushing fairly hard and you may just find it stays open on its own. Worked get at AKL Kidani for us on our last trip and they told us they are trying to implement that at all resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter