ECV and dining PS arrangements

Mykelogan

Long time, no see!
Hello all,
Just a quick question. I am looking to explore some new restaurant options on my next trip and was wondering if I should mention that I use an ECV when making PS arrangements? Just in case there are access issues I should know? Specifically thinking about the restaurants in the AKL, Poly and Contemporary.

Thanks for any info,
Mike :moped:

Mykelogan said:
Hello all,
Just a quick question. I am looking to explore some new restaurant options on my next trip and was wondering if I should mention that I use an ECV when making PS arrangements? Just in case there are access issues I should know? Specifically thinking about the restaurants in the AKL, Poly and Contemporary.

Thanks for any info,
Mike :moped:

Most of the restaurants are easy enough to get around but some have specific areas that are more accessible than others. Mostly, it is easier to access the tables if you park the ECV somewhere convenient and sit in a chair at a table. The ECVs are really too big to park at a table and most are not set up so that you can swivel the seat to an appropriate position at the table for comfortable eating. As for telling the staff ahead of time, I can't imagine how it would be helpful. If there are access issues that they know about, they should have fixed them by now or be in violation of the law. Unless someone uses an ECV a lot they don't truly understand the peculiar access issues of ECV use so it's doubtful that you'd get much helpful information. One way that WDW is better than the world at large is that if you do have an access problem there are dozens of people there whose job it is to make sure that that particular issue does not ruin your day. Just make your PS and have a great meal.

A lot depends on your mobility. For example, my use is needed because I have a real problem with prolonged walking or standing. Normally if I am going into a resort juyst for a meal I don't use the ECV. However, if I am on my way to or from a park I will park the ECV in or near the restaurant.

If you need it for almost all walking, you usually can drive it to the table and then someone else in your group can take it and park it. I have not been to any restaurant at WDW where this could not be done (they don't have extremely narrow aisles).

IF you are using your own ECV it can go with you into the restaurant. Same with one rented from outside. The only ones I have ever seen castmembers require you to park and leave them outside is Disney rentals and that would not be an issue at a resort restaurant.
Be forewarned that some of the seaters have no clue about ECVs and will try to seat you at a table where it would be very difficult to get in and out. Tell them you need to be placed at another table. I have a power wheelchair where they have placed me at a table that had chair back to back with the next table (at a buffet). I would have been unable to get my food myself and I was unaccompanied. I asked for a table I could actually get in and out of.

Thank you for the great advice everyone! It all makes perfect sense and helps calm my nerves a great deal. Traveling solo is a blast but also puts you in the self advocating place all the time, which I am used to, but can always be a little challenging in new areas. :earsboy:

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter