ECV and Port Orleans bus transportation

Euby

DIS Veteran
I'm going to be staying at Port Orleans Riverside at the end of January. I will be using an ECV to get around the resort and parks. I'm concerned about the multiple bus stops and using my ECV. In particular the loading and unloading process when there may be other guests already on the bus from previous stops. As some of you know, it's kinda hard to maneuver a scooter onto a bus without also having to worry about someone's toes in the aisle.

According to PortOrleans.org, there are 4 bus stops at Riverside and 1 at French Quarter. Within Riverside, theme park buses now call at the West Depot first, then North Depot and East Depot, and finally the South Depot before heading to the parks. Does that mean the bus is empty when it arrives at the West Depot in the morning? Would it be best to just go over to French Quarter and pick up the bus there in the morning and reverse in the evening? Or maybe just get on at Riverside and off at French Quarter? Since I'll be in an ECV, I'm not worried about the distance between the resorts.

Would love to hear from first hand experiences at Riverside or any other multiple-stop resorts.

Hi! We were there a year ago (at POR) and you will find that it's really not that much different than a single-stop Resort.

Don't hesitate to use the stop nearest your Resort room; if there is no more room on that bus when it arrives for another ECV, then the Driver will call dispatch to let them know to send another bus around. Be sure to be positioned *in* the white painted box on the ground if you are the first or only ECV in line at the bus stop; that visually cues the Drivers that you are ready and waiting to be loaded. If the bus is the one that I am waiting on, I also smile and wave at the Driver to let them know I am waiting on them. If if is NOT the bus I want, then I smile, and shake my head "no", so they know that I am not waiting for them.

You may have to move off/out of the white box for the bus to unload another ECV; be sure to give them as much space as possible - you can always get back in place after they have driven off the bus and away from the bus stop.

Coming back from the Parks, when you board with the ECV, be sure to let your Bus Driver know which stop you will need to get off at. Be prepared - if it is a busy night especially, you may need to remind them at the stop that you need to get off. That's normal ;)

The Driver will handle the other passengers, and will help you make sure that no one's toes get run over! :) I know it can seem intimidating, but I promise you - anyone who has ever gone to WDW and taken a bus will not be surprised by the procedure when it's time for you to drive off the bus. (If the other passengers *listen* to the Driver, and do as he/she asks, it will go remarkably quickly)

Depending on which "spot" you are parked in on the bus, the driver will give you appropriate instructions on what to do. They may tell you how to drive and turn the ECV while you are seated on it, or sometimes they will position it for you so that all you have to do is drive out the door. They aren't actually supposed to do that, but it happens more often than you might think, simply in the interest of safety and helping the Guest.

Regardless - a couple of tips for you when dealing with the bus ramps:

BOARDING THE BUS
- First, try to make sure that you have a few feet of ground between you and the ramp before you go up the ramp. This is so you have a chance to get lined up (centered) before actually hitting the bottom of the ramp.
- GO SLOWLY. This is NOT the time to show off your NASCAR driving skills.
- Remember that at the top of the ramp, inside the bus, you will need to turn toward the right, and stop. The Driver will give you instructions as you go, but generally speaking, it's up, turn right, stop and wait for him/her to tell you which way they want you to go next. The Driver will guide you - and if they offer to move the ECV for you, let them; it will be quicker and safer for everyone.
- If you will be parked in a spot on the bus that is further forward, the Driver may have to have people shift over, or even step off the bus for a moment; that's OK, and perfectly normal. Let the Driver deal with the other Guests; you just do as the Driver asks.
- Once the ECV is parked on the bus, your job is done until you get to the next stop you want to get off at!

GETTING OFF THE BUS
- When coming off the bus, go slowly - very, very slowly - especially until you get the ECV to be lined up straight on the ramp. As you get off the ramp, DO NOT TURN YOUR WHEELS UNTIL ALL FOUR WHEELS ARE ON THE GROUND AND THE BACK WHEELS HAVE CLEARED THE RAMP EDGES COMPLETELY. I have seen little old ladies dang near turn over ECVs because they are in a hurry to get off the ramp, and try to turn too soon. (There's a spot over at WL where you come off the ramp and - no fooling - almost wind up in the bushes before you can get turned if the Driver parks too close to the curb! LOL)

That's about it. Never apologize to other Guests; you are not doing anything "wrong" by using the bus services that WDW provides. One thing you may find that you absolutely love about POR (I know I do) is taking the boats down to Disney Springs! The boats all have portable ramps that the Captain will place for you - there is a bit of a bump up onto the ramp, and back down as you enter or exit the boat, but otherwise, it's a lovely trip up and down the Sassagoula River - and you can always take a boat back to OKW, or POFQ for a change of pace - or grab a bus to another Resort at the bus station there at Disney Springs! :)

Enjoy your stay at POR! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter