ECV for the first time

cruisin5

DIS Veteran
Hi,
My mom will need a ecv for the park this trip. Our plan is to rent one at AK then again two days later at EP, we are doing a split stay. She's mobile but not Disney park all day mobile.

She's a small person (5' - 100 lbs) will she be able to manage the ecv? It just looks so big and unyielding.

If a smaller one from a off site company would be easier to use I would do that and use a handicapped Minnie van to move around. I really can't see her trying to get on a bus for her first "ride".

Also, is it necessary to charge it while in the park? If so, are there outlets scattered around? Is it OK to just park it, plug it in and come back to it an hour or so later?

Thank you.

Do I understand correctly that you want to rent ECVs from Disney in parks rather than full-time from an outside vendor? You do know that it's cheaper to rent from an outside vendor. Disney is $50 a day, outside vendors are roughly $30/day. But to answer your question, she should have no trouble managing it at her size. I've never had a battery last less than a full day. Once I even went for 1 1/2 days, because I'd forgotten to charge it overnight. But if she wants to recharge, many restrooms in Epcot have plugs just inside the restrooms (in the "foyer" area), and at AK, there's a plug just outside Nemo. I talked to an "experienced" ECVer who left his ECV plugged in to recharge while he went in to see the show. I wouldn't leave the ECV for an hour or so to recharge, but that may be just me. People (including me) commonly leave their ECVs in a parking area while they go on a ride or a restaurant but I just wouldn't feel right leaving it that long. Just so you know, on the buses, every bus driver I've encountered has been more than willing to help out as needed-parking the ECV, even getting it "lined up" on the ramp to exit.

You could alway park the ECV on the bus for your mother. I see people who have someone else in their party drive the ECV on and park it for them.

@cruisin5: To add to what @arminnie said, we have even seen people "walk" them up the ramp onto the bus (not recommended, as you have to push from behind and try to steer with one hand, but I've seen it done o_O)

First of all, our daughter is petite; not much taller than your Mom, she stands 5'2". Although she has no trouble driving the Parks models, @Simba's Mom is right - an offsite rental (that is much more appropriately sized) will likely be more comfortable. Plus, you may want to visit Disney Springs - which is easily twice it's former size now - and many of the Resorts are so large that having the ECV just at the Resort is a real help.

You may not have to have the Minnie Van other than on your moving day for your split stay; otherwise, every bus, the Monorail, and almost every boat at WDW is accessible with the ECV!

Make sure you charge it fully overnight, every night, and you shouldn't need to bring along the charger; by practicing good battery management (turning the ECV OFF any time she is not moving for more than, say, 15 seconds - and especially during parades, meals, shows, rides - really any time you all aren't moving) she should be fine. At her weight, she should easily be able to go all day. Those of us who are "Pooh size" (I'm a 3L - a Large Lovely Lady myself!) have to be a bit more mindful, simply because the motors of the scooter have to work a bit harder to drive us around. But your Mom should be fine!

Reassure your mom that it will be easier than she thinks especially if she rents from an offsite vendor. The busses are not nearly as hard as you'd expect. The drivers are universally helpful and kind. Have her go to Walmart or another store and drive the electric carts there. She can practice turning, backing up etc.

I agree with others that the resorts are huge and Disney Springs is exhausting.

Hi,
My mom will need a ecv for the park this trip. Our plan is to rent one at AK then again two days later at EP, we are doing a split stay.

Forgot to tell you: Disney does transfer your (packed) luggage for you on a split stay if you ask - just call Bell Services and they will pick up your bags in the morning, and your luggage will be at your new Resort by 5:00 pm!

You can then ride internal buses everywhere - and use one of the Theme Park buses to transfer from Resort to Resort (if you feel the need to go check-in in person)

Thanks everyone!

One more question --- does the Disney ecv have a thumb or wrist throttle?

I'm DVC and my mom has taken annual trips for a while now. The ecv has me overworried about what's to come in the future - I think that's the real issue. I truly appreciate your guidance.

Walker rents units with the "squeeze" throttle; I believe that Buena Vista has a "thumb friendly" model that they rent.

(It's been a while since I have seen a WDW Parks rental model up close; not sure what style throttle those currently have TBH)

Don't worry too much about the future - just keep taking things one step at time, and you will be fine! :)

Walker rents units with the "squeeze" throttle; I believe that Buena Vista has a "thumb friendly" model that they rent.

(It's been a while since I have seen a WDW Parks rental model up close; not sure what style throttle those currently have TBH)

:)

Yes, that's the way it still is. Last year, my thumb was so sore from my Walker scooter that, even though they were great to work with, I switched to Buena Vista for my trip last month and my thumb thanked me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!