ECV rental - recommendations?

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
My sister will be renting an ECV for our upcoming trip in Nov. She broken her ankle a few months ago and cannot walk long distances yet. What ECV rental companies would you recommend and could you tell us about them? She is under 200lbs, BTW. TIA.

Walker Mobility. Great service. Been around a number of years. Driver has to deliver and pick up directly from the customer.

Personally, Walker is my preference. As @Kaytie mentioned, she will need to meet the delivery person for both drop off and pick up, but that's no big deal, because it gives her a chance to learn a bit about the ECV from someone who deals with them all day long - and to practice a bit at the Resort - which is something those of us around here with a bit of experience recommend anyway. Taking even 10 minutes to get used to how the scooter handles on curb cuts (the little ramps up and down from the sidewalk to a street level), how it takes tight turns, how it feels to do a sudden or panic stop and especially a wee bit of practice backing up will all benefit her in the long run. A quick run through the Resort shop and/or the Quick Serve is great practice for the Parks too! If you have the time, a run down to Disney Springs (especially during the day when everyone else it at the parks) is a great training ground as well.

Always keep the contact info for the rental company in your phone's contacts, and make sure you know what their after-hours policies and procedures are, just in case there is a problem with the scooter after the office closes for the day. It's very rare that she will ever need that info, but it could save her hours of frustration and problems if she does need it.

Here's a few more tips for a first-time ECV driver:

Practicing ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze!

Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that it's one rider per ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, for the rider, the child, and nearby pedestrians.

Bring a brightly colored scarf, ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit).

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed. You are not allowed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

Make sure to charge the ECV completely overnight, every night. Any time the ECV is stopped for more than a few seconds (literally!) TURN IT OFF to conserve battery power. Waiting in a long, slow line? Turn it off. Watching a parade? Turn it off. Parked inside Starbucks for a coffee? Turn it off. If she isn't moving, turn it off. Reputable vendors (like Walker, and others) will make sure to deliver a unit that can hold up to a full "Disney day" - but if she finds the battery runs down too quickly, then she should call the vendor immediately, and ask for a replacement battery - or a replacement unit.

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you.

Don't be surprised if she parks the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when she returns. (Don't panic! It has NOT been stolen!) The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. She will typically find it quite nearby, but if she doesn't, just ask any nearby CM, and they will help her find it. (And bringing along that length of ribbon, or bandana... Yep, that's where it comes in handy.)

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that she WILL at some point find herself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest snack to Instagram.

Probably the hardest thing she will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses. Make sure she is parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees her, and knows she is waiting to ride.

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp she will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until she is used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to her (or a member of her party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. She (and any other mobility device users) will always board first, and exit last. Her family can walk up the ramp and board behind her. The bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* the ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

She can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the ramp they will use at the Monorail stations.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of speed, and she needs to make sure she can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, she will risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and could find herself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

I hope she has a Magical trip!

Although we haven't actually used them yet, I recommend Buena Vista Scooter Rentals. They were wonderful after our hurricane Irma cancellation (full, easy total refund) and we have rebooked them for our December vacation. I like that they deliver to the resort the night before check-in so the ECV will be waiting for me. I also like that they are "on-site" (Boardwalk).

Practicing ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze!
Amen. I now have my own ECV that is so easy to use. But I recently used a dilapidated, unwieldy ECV at a grocery store. It had pieces hanging off of the basket. Unfortunately I hit a display (with one of the pieces hanging off) and totaled a huge display of wine bottles. It was SO embarrassing. So if you can navigate one of those box store monstrosities you will have no problem at Disney.

Amen. I now have my own ECV that is so easy to use. But I recently used a dilapidated, unwieldy ECV at a grocery store. It had pieces hanging off of the basket. Unfortunately I hit a display (with one of the pieces hanging off) and totaled a huge display of wine bottles. It was SO embarrassing. So if you can navigate one of those box store monstrosities you will have no problem at Disney.

Oh my gosh! I hope you are ok! Wine (however delicious!) can be replaced, but people can't be!

Whoops - sorry, I misunderstood.

I thought your recommendation was quite useful, actually. Even though you haven't completed a rental with them yet, we saw from your experience how they handled the hurricane cancellation, and that's good information too! :)

All these positive comments for Walker are making me so nervous! I've always rented from Walker, and yes, they've been wonderful. However, their scooters have levers that need your thumb to make them go. My thumb was getting very sore, so on this last trip I noticed someone using a Buena Vista Scooter, which just required the user to squeeze the handle with their whole hand . My thumb really liked the looks of that, so that's who I'm renting from on my next trip. But now, I'm having concerns-I mean, how sore was my thumb, really? If anything goes wrong, I'll be so mad at myself!

All these positive comments for Walker are making me so nervous! I've always rented from Walker, and yes, they've been wonderful. However, their scooters have levers that need your thumb to make them go. My thumb was getting very sore, so on this last trip I noticed someone using a Buena Vista Scooter, which just required the user to squeeze the handle with their whole hand . My thumb really liked the looks of that, so that's who I'm renting from on my next trip. But now, I'm having concerns-I mean, how sore was my thumb, really? If anything goes wrong, I'll be so mad at myself!

We rented our first time with Walker. My thumb was in severe pain very qquickly for this reason. Our next rental was with Buena Vista [not because of thumb problem; we had a trip bookending a cruise and i deliberately rented from both companies to try them]. No thumb problem. We have subsequently rented from Buena Vista and will rent from them again if for no other reason than the tiller design. But we have also been very happy with them.

SW

I've rented from Buena Vista a number of times and been pretty happy with them. The last time was at SSR last November, and they had a fleet of ECV's lined up near the bell stand / horse statue area every time I went past. It looked to me like they kept a permanent supply at SSR.

My only complaint with Buena Vista was that last trip - the ECV I received seemed quite worn and had some minor issue (so minor that I can't even remember what it was at this point; it wasn't severe enough for me to exchange it). I will still use them in the future but if I have an issue like this I'll be sure to contact them for an exchange.

I bet you will be just fine!

We have seen other posters who have been very happy with BV - and if I had to rent for some reason while at WDW, I wouldn't have any hesitation about using BV, based on what I have seen here over the years.

I think what I look at is which companies (overall, over the last few years that I have been active here) have the fewest complaints, and the highest number of recommendations. BV and Walker both fit that category from my personal observation.

If you - like others here - need that alternate tiller style to avoid an issue with your thumb(s), then I would rent from BV, and go have a great trip! :)

Wow, thank you so much for all of your replies! And an extra thank you to Mamabunny for all the excellent tips. I have printed out your reply for my sister. It sounds like both Walker and BV are very good companies. We were set on Walker when I heard about the thumbs. Both of us have bad thumb joints (I have even had surgery on my left one - terribly painful surgery) so I think she should go with Buena Vista. We get in quite late as we fly from Vancouver, BC, so it will be nice to have the scooter waiting for her.

Do be careful listening to the bus drivers. On my last trip I had a bus driver almost scream at me to "turn down the speed." The problem? My scooter speed was all the way down. When the bus driver tried to turn down the speed, I turned to her and let her know that it was down, and that I had it, thank you.

Luckily she allowed me to simply park my scooter.

Bus drivers are usually so good with the scooters. I think parking them on the bus will be the most nerve wracking. One has such a large audience! :rolleyes1

Bus drivers are usually so good with the scooters. I think parking them on the bus will be the most nerve wracking. One has such a large audience! :rolleyes1
The audience doesn't bother me. It is the comments after I am parked and seated. Although, this trip, I only got one, "must be nice to .......: I didn't hear the rest of it.

I only had trouble with two drivers. The one that got all in tizzy about the lowest speed of my scooter and the one that drove away because," there are already people in those seats." I hated to tell him that he needed to learn to read the sign above those seats. There was only about 8-10 people on the bus. And he was waiting, but decided to stop waiting when I pulled up. (Yes, I reported it, no I didn't get his name.)

I rented from Buena Vista my very first time renting a scooter and I was very happy with everything. Then I got "worried " about rain and Walker advertises "water resistant " scooters. So I rented from Walker the next 2 years. Again I was very happy. I did prefer being able to drop the ECV with Belli Services though. However I too found my thumbs really sore. So this year I am back to BV. I'm sure you will be fine.

I rented from Buena Vista my very first time renting a scooter and I was very happy with everything. Then I got "worried " about rain and Walker advertises "water resistant " scooters. So I rented from Walker the next 2 years. Again I was very happy. I did prefer being able to drop the ECV with Belli Services though. However I too found my thumbs really sore. So this year I am back to BV. I'm sure you will be fine.

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter