ECV rentals - a few questions

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I am hoping to be able to walk the parks. But I am worried I may not be able to. How do you get one for each park? How many might they have? Would like to know as much info as you can provide. thanks.

Last edited:
I would rent one from an off-site vendor. Not only is it cheaper, you will have it available to go from park to park. The parks sometimes run out of ECVs, so you know you will have one. You will also have it getting back and forth to your room and around the hotel.

And to add to the great advice that @powellrj gave you, remember that Disney Springs is HUGE now - easily twice the size it was just 5 years ago. Many of the Resorts are quite large as well; you won't have to worry about how far your Resort room is from the bus stop if you have rented an ECV from an outside vendor.

Remember to charge it fully every night in your room; your DH can hold the door open for you when you drive in and out of the room. Use the "Search..." box up there in the upper right hand corner to look for more info here in this forum for newbie ECV drivers! :)

and remember if you rent an ECV from of site you do not have to use it all the time you may park it in the land or area you are in and walk around, ( or walk around as far from it as you feel comfortable)

I am hoping to be able to walk the parks. But I am worried I may not be able to. My DH will be pushing a stroller, so if I couldnt walk I would need an ECV. How do you get one for each park? How many might they have? Would like to know as much info as you can provide. thanks.
another voice for renting off site besides being cheaper at the end of a tiring day you have a place to sit while waiting for transportation be it back to you car, bus or boat. nothing is worse than having to leave ECV inside the gate and having to try and get back to how ever you got to the gate. and since to mention a stroller I will assume you are planning time at MK where you have to take either monorail which has steep ramps and a walk from car to it and from it to the gate or the boat which also has a walk to gate. you can not be dropped near the gate and husband then park the car. there are very very few places to sir while waiting for transportation be it bus or other types

Just to give you a price range to look at. On-site rentals are day by day at $50/day with a $20 deposit returned when you return the EVC. So, if you are there 5 days, that is $250. Off-site rentals would be more like $30-35/day or $150 or less for the 5 days.

I am hoping to be able to walk the parks. But I am worried I may not be able to. My DH will be pushing a stroller, so if I couldnt walk I would need an ECV. How do you get one for each park? How many might they have? Would like to know as much info as you can provide. thanks.

I just realized that we all kind of jumped right to "Rent offsite!" LOL - we still need to answer your questions!

If you really want to try and just do Park rentals, then you will need to go to the rental counter; these are located at the front of each Park, and there is an "extra" one at the International Gateway at EPCOT. There, you will rent the ECV for use in that Park only.

You can "hop" your ECV rental for that day only from one Park to another, but if you arrive at the next Park, and they are out of ECVs, you will have to wait for one to be turned in. How long that wait might be is anyone's guess; It could be anywhere from 5 minutes to more than an hour.

As far as I know, we (those of us who are regulars around here) have never seen inventory numbers for ECV rental units at any of the WDW Parks. We do know from personal experience that the Parks DO frequently and regularly run out of ECVs to rent. At that point, your options would look like this:

- Wait for someone to turn in a unit. This is no good - who wants to spend vacation waiting around when you are at Disney World! Not to mention that there really isn't a place to sit and wait at most of the rental counters; EPCOT has a low masonry wall that you can perch on. And if you decide to "hop" your rental to another Park that same day, you may have to wait at the new Park for a unit to be turned in.
- Rent a wheelchair. This *might* work, if you are used to self-propelling, but the average person who tries to self-propel at WDW without prior daily experience finds it VERY difficult. Not to mention, your arms, hands and shoulders will be very sore and unhappy the next day.
- Go back to the Resort, maybe rest a while, and try again? That works for some folks, but if your condition is progressive, where once you get to the point of needing an ECV, it will take more time on every subsequent rest break to recover - you will spend far more time resting at the Resort than in the Parks.
- Find a spot to sit in the Parks and rest a bit. This is trickier than in the past; there are now fewer benches and places to sit than ever before. Disney wants everyone up, moving around and spending money!
- Call an outside vendor to have a rental ECV delivered to you at the Parks. (I had to do this once, years ago. It wound up being a blessing in disguise, as I could keep up with my family, and I was no longer holding them back.)

So, I apologize because we all kind of jumped right over all of that information and urged you to rent from an offsite vendor because a lot of us here are very experienced with this, and we want you to have the best possible trip. Limping all the way back to the front of the Park, only to discover that they are out of ECVs is not going to make you happy at all. I have seen some folks realize they need an ECV just on the walk from the Bus Stop at the Parks to the front gate; they get there, and none are available, and so they are starting their experience by waiting for an ECV. That's why we urge you to rent from an offsite vendor.

And, finally, :welcome: Let us know if you have any more questions!

You may be reluctant to order an ECV in advance because, as you said, you're hoping you can walk the parks. That's what I did the first time I used an ECV. It was a last minute necessity. So I understand that, that's what I did. But at the end of the week, when I'd only rented an ECV for 3 days, and suffered in pain the other 3 days, I realized that I could have rented from an off-site vendor for the entire week for what I'd paid for those 3 days in the parks. Also, I was staying at BC, and having an ECV should have made my trip back to the hotel MUCH less difficult. But only you can decide which to do.

and remember if you rent an ECV from of site you do not have to use it all the time you may park it in the land or area you are in and walk around, ( or walk around as far from it as you feel comfortable)

So you can park it and leave it ? Do you have a key for it? How do you prevent someone else from taking it? Never used one before.

Other questions - any chance the outside rentals companies run out of them? Where can you charge them in the parks and how? (says battery life not more than 6 hours so how to charge them)? Also they cant get wet ,so what if you get caught in the rain? How quickly do you think you can get one if you call an outside company?

Yes they have a key ( most do) the ECV might be moved but for the most part I do not think it will be stolen

As fair as the battery goes do not over fill your ECV if you would not carry it in your self with out your ECV do not take it with you.

Turn it off ( most of the time this is taking the key out) when you stop even for a scecond

So in line and you stop turn it off
Trying to decide what do next turn it off

Watching the parade turn it off

You get the idea

There are places to plug in if need be but the ECV Sshoild last all day of you turn it off when stopped

You can park an ECV and walk for a bit. Most often the parking is with the strollers, but there are a few spots specifically for ECV parking. Just ask a CM nearby if you aren't sure.

PPs are correct that the in-park rentals may run out of ECVs by mid- to late-morning. During very busy seasons, I believe it's possible that offsite vendors may also have no units available, which is why a reservation is recommended. At least a couple of posters have rented last-minute from within a park and had good experiences. So it is possible if you don't reserve in advance, but it isn't likely to be immediate delivery.

There may be charging locations in the parks, but the best advice for conserving battery power is to turn it off whenever you are stopped for a few minutes. Most posters say their battery lasted all day like this. If you need to recharge, you can ask a CM where it is safe to plug in. You should do a full recharge overnight in your resort room.

As for rain -- I'm not sure if all vendors provide a "shower cap" like cover for the tiller/controls, or you can bring your own. It's also recommended to have a poncho large enough to cover you and the seat.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you all. There is no way I could ever use a wheelchair on my own, it's not just my legs that are the problem. :( I am glad to hear there is hope. I am almost afraid to go on the trip because I fear I won't be able to walk the parks the whole time. I have contemplated cancelling the trip and haven't told my oldest child because I am so on the fence with worry. My legs have been really bad this year (with some new issues I have been trying to get answers for with no luck yet and time is running out before we arrive). I will look at the thread above about the ECV rental outside company. I hope this lists where I can call if I really need to. I have to admit I am embarrassed to use one, it makes me sad to even have to think of this. But I have to find a solution in case I cant do the walking. I worry about letting my child down and ruining the trip. :(

I'm not the only person here who can tell you - the first time I "had" to use an ECV, I was mortified! I cried - no kidding - because I thought I was ruining our vacation, and I had to use an ECV, and everyone is going to stare at me, and OMG CHICKEN LITTLE THE SKY IS FALLING.

Only, the sky didn't fall, and - get this - no one really even noticed me. Me, on an ECV? A total non-event. And another crazy thing happened... Because my family was no longer worried about me struggling to walk, and because I could now easily keep up with them (and they had to actually tell me to take a break, because I was now the Energizer Bunny - I just kept going and going and going!) we go so much more done... and we still had fun doing it! So, I dried my tears, and blew my nose (on a tissue, I'm not a heathen! LOL) and I straightened up my Ears, and I rode off into the sunset - and a great, memorable vacation!

I want you to remember this, if you don't remember another single thing I ever say... The ECV is just a tool to let you make the most of your time at WDW. Regardless of whether you use one in "real life" or not, a lot of folks get to WDW, and use an ECV because the average Guest at Disney World walks 3 to 10 miles per day. Per day. Yeah... that's a lot! So, you will use the ECV as a tool, to make your vacation a bit easier, to help mitigate a health issue (or two) and remember that it's no different than someone who uses glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to hear better. If you use a calculator to do math - that's using a tool. If you use a shopping list so you won't forget your groceries when you go to the store - that's using a tool! The ECV is just another tool you will use. That's all!

Tell your offspring that Mom is going to use this scooter because your legs need some assistance. Don't make a big deal out of it, and I promise you that 15 minutes after you hit the first of the theme parks, it will be old news. :) If asked, just remember that Disney's rule when it comes to ECVs is "One seat, one rider" - so no one can ride on Mom's lap.

Last but not least, we use PhotoPass and Memory Maker every trip - just remember that for those "posed" photos (in front of the Castle at MK, with Spaceship Earth behind you at EPCOT, those iconic pictures that everyone wants to get) you can park the ECV and get off to take the pictures. I don't do this anymore, but I used to - Just let the photographer know you want to stand for the photo!

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with! :)

I'm not the only person here who can tell you - the first time I "had" to use an ECV, I was mortified! I cried - no kidding - because I thought I was ruining our vacation, and I had to use an ECV, and everyone is going to stare at me, and OMG CHICKEN LITTLE THE SKY IS FALLING.

Only, the sky didn't fall, and - get this - no one really even noticed me. Me, on an ECV? A total non-event. And another crazy thing happened... Because my family was no longer worried about me struggling to walk, and because I could now easily keep up with them (and they had to actually tell me to take a break, because I was now the Energizer Bunny - I just kept going and going and going!) we go so much more done... and we still had fun doing it! So, I dried my tears, and blew my nose (on a tissue, I'm not a heathen! LOL) and I straightened up my Ears, and I rode off into the sunset - and a great, memorable vacation!

I want you to remember this, if you don't remember another single thing I ever say... The ECV is just a tool to let you make the most of your time at WDW. Regardless of whether you use one in "real life" or not, a lot of folks get to WDW, and use an ECV because the average Guest at Disney World walks 3 to 10 miles per day. Per day. Yeah... that's a lot! So, you will use the ECV as a tool, to make your vacation a bit easier, to help mitigate a health issue (or two) and remember that it's no different than someone who uses glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to hear better. If you use a calculator to do math - that's using a tool. If you use a shopping list so you won't forget your groceries when you go to the store - that's using a tool! The ECV is just another tool you will use. That's all!

Tell your offspring that Mom is going to use this scooter because your legs need some assistance. Don't make a big deal out of it, and I promise you that 15 minutes after you hit the first of the theme parks, it will be old news. :) If asked, just remember that Disney's rule when it comes to ECVs is "One seat, one rider" - so no one can ride on Mom's lap.

Last but not least, we use PhotoPass and Memory Maker every trip - just remember that for those "posed" photos (in front of the Castle at MK, with Spaceship Earth behind you at EPCOT, those iconic pictures that everyone wants to get) you can park the ECV and get off to take the pictures. I don't do this anymore, but I used to - Just let the photographer know you want to stand for the photo!

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with! :)

Thank you so much, words can't explain how much this means to me.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, words can't explain how much this means to me. I still am trying to accept the thought of having to use it, but it's making me feel less anxiety and less panic knowing there can be a way if I find I cant do it while there. That thought had me literally wanting to cancel the trip. :( I am embarrassed, I am hoping I don't run into anyone. I won't even park in the handicap spot often because I fear people who know me will see me and wonder what is wrong with me. I don't exactly look disabled and I am a very private person, if they only knew my struggles in life. So I hide it all as often as I can, I just want to be "normal" and not someone who requires special assistance. :( SO thank you so so much. Glad to hear I can step away from it for pics.

You know what? If you have some time before you go to Disney World, why not "practice" with some of the store carts at Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot or a grocery store? If you can master one of those giant wheezing beasties - any rental scooter you use at WDW will feel like a dream to drive!

And I know what you are thinking! "Mamabuny, I just told you that I don't want anyone to know I have to use this scooter!" But so what if someone sees you? *If* they say anything, just brush it off with a quick "Oh, I'm just having a bad knee day! It's like a bad hair day, but you have to sit down more!" Make 'em laugh a little, act like it's no biggie deal, and they won't give it a second thought. 99% of the people you deal with when it comes to this ECV issue will actually take their cues from you! If you act like it's not a big deal, and go on your merry way... other folks won't blink, won't think, won't even notice. If, however, you are wringing your hands, and obviously upset, and miserable... then someone might have a different reaction. It's just human nature.

You won't run into anyone - build a nice big "bubble" in front of you, leaving lots of space (or as much as you can) which also aids visibility, and whenever possible, drive on the right side close to the sidewalk, railing, fence, wall or "less busy" side of the street/pathway, and have your hubby walk next to you to help create a "shield" on the left. It's really no different than driving a car - you have to pay attention, and once you are used to the ECV, and how it turns and brakes (maybe practice with it for a few minutes when you first get it, to see how it feels) you will see that it isn't so intimidating.

I don't look disabled either. If you saw me standing and taking a few steps, you would think there was nothing wrong with me. Lots of folks here have "hidden" or "invisible" disabilities, so we all understand that. It has been a long and difficult struggle for me; I fought against using the ECV at Disney for a long time. Then, when my family saw how much it helped me there, my husband wanted to buy me one to use at home; I struggled very hard with that. I didn't want anyone I knew to see me on it. And then I found out that it changed my life, and I got my independence back... and I can go to the museum, and go shopping, and go and do all of the things I love to do, and I don't have to worry about finding the closest parking space, or how far I will have to walk before we can take a break, or if there will be a place to sit. I can go by myself again, I don't need anyone to help me either. It has changed my life - so much for the better! I only wish I had not been so stubborn, and had not forced my family to watch me struggle needlessly for so long.

The last thing I want to tell you for tonight is this: Normal is a setting on the washing machine. My Mom was a Special Needs teacher for many years, and she told my brother and I when we were growing up, and struggling with something that everyone has something - something that makes them different, something that they struggle with. No one is really "normal" because no one is perfect... and none of us are exactly the same. So what is "normal" for you, or your household might be totally unfamiliar to me and my family. And that's OK.

You are going to be fine, I promise! (((Hugs)))

Boy, mama bunny, I could have written this exact same thing. I was solo, but I "had" to call DS at home so I'd have someone to cry to. And the other part of your post, that I accidentally deleted is so true also. A "non-event" to others-you mean, the whole world isn't staring at me and judging?:-)

Hi, My name is Denise, I'm now an ECV junkie, and Yes, I did run someone over the first time I used it! Thankfully it was only my husband (and he was none too happy!). Seriously, when I was 45 I had my first knee replacement, shortly followed by the second knee a year later. When I had those done I had "the knees of a 9- year old" pre the orthopedic surgeon. So can you imagine trying to walk all over Disney? With kids? Couldnt happen. I would try for one day and then be unable to walk the remainder of the week due to the swelling. So ECV it was. After my knees were done and I recovered I was nervous so I rented the ECV and did more parking than riding, but it allowed me to have the flexibility. But that trip I said "wow, I'm getting there, never again. Fast forward now 5 years later and I'm trying to figure out which company to rent with as now my knees still ache, and I now have severe arthritis in both feet and my lower back. There is just no hope but I'll be damned if it will stop me from enjoying WDW!

I agree- practice. For me it was helpful renting off site and riding around the walking pathways at the hotel. Steering around corners was the hardest part - oh and stopping those first few times! Honestly, the reason I'd run someone over was becuase they stepped right in front of a moving vehicle. If I was a train, they would be dead. Their own stupidity. If they want to be rude, then I don't feel bad for running over their heel. That is why we are taught at a young age to NOT walk in front of ANY moving vehicle. And if it's an older kid who didn't learn that lesson- shame on their parents. (young running kids can't be helped and therefore running into adults such as your husband are therefore warranted at that time).

Hi, My name is Denise, I'm now an ECV junkie, and Yes, I did run someone over the first time I used it! Thankfully it was only my husband (and he was none too happy!). Seriously, when I was 45 I had my first knee replacement, shortly followed by the second knee a year later. When I had those done I had "the knees of a 9- year old" pre the orthopedic surgeon. So can you imagine trying to walk all over Disney? With kids? Couldnt happen. I would try for one day and then be unable to walk the remainder of the week due to the swelling. So ECV it was. After my knees were done and I recovered I was nervous so I rented the ECV and did more parking than riding, but it allowed me to have the flexibility. But that trip I said "wow, I'm getting there, never again. Fast forward now 5 years later and I'm trying to figure out which company to rent with as now my knees still ache, and I now have severe arthritis in both feet and my lower back. There is just no hope but I'll be damned if it will stop me from enjoying WDW!

I agree- practice. For me it was helpful renting off site and riding around the walking pathways at the hotel. Steering around corners was the hardest part - oh and stopping those first few times! Honestly, the reason I'd run someone over was becuase they stepped right in front of a moving vehicle. If I was a train, they would be dead. Their own stupidity. If they want to be rude, then I don't feel bad for running over their heel. That is why we are taught at a young age to NOT walk in front of ANY moving vehicle. And if it's an older kid who didn't learn that lesson- shame on their parents. (young running kids can't be helped and therefore running into adults such as your husband are therefore warranted at that time).

I know I really should get it and not wait. But I just have to try. I just feel so uncomfortable and don't want any extra attention on me or my family. I know, I need to get overheat and realize it's probably not as big of a deal as I think it is. But it feels like defeat to me...like I am giving in. However as I said, I cant ruin my children's trip.

Is the only place to rent them in the parks at the park entrance?

I know I really should get it and not wait. But I just have to try. I just feel so uncomfortable and don't want any extra attention on me or my family. I know, I need to get overheat and realize it's probably not as big of a deal as I think it is. But it feels like defeat to me...like I am giving in. However as I said, I cant ruin my children's trip.

Is the only place to rent them in the parks at the park entrance?

Yes - the only place in Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios is at the Park entrance.

At EPCOT, there is one location at the main Park entrance, and another (smaller) one at the International Gateway.

It's not a defeat, and you aren't giving in.

What would be a defeat is to allow your pride to ruin you - and your family's vacation - because your pride refuses to allow you to use a tool to make your time at Disney World easier.

What would be "giving in" is allowing the pain and fatigue to win because you don't want anyone to see you on an ECV.

I promise you - when you get to WDW, you will see that there are literally THOUSANDS of people using mobility devices while you are there. You, riding a rental scooter at WDW is no big deal, (unless you are secretly a celebrity) and no one is going to notice you any more than anyone else on a scooter.

And if you don't want to stand out, here's a tip: Rent a plain, black scooter from an outside vendor (like Walker, Buena Vista, Apple, etc.) and don't rent a Park unit. The Park (Disney owned) scooters are HUGE, grey beasts and stand out for their relative size and lumbering slowness.

But hey, what do I know? I've only been doing this for *years* now... :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!