ECV rentals - a few questions

I know this is hard for you.

It was hard for me - and many others here - the first time we had to use a mobility device at WDW. I wasn't lying when I said that I cried!

But as I mentioned before, a strange thing happened - I had a great time at Disney World, even with a scooter! My family didn't have to wait for me, and I didn't hold them back anymore. And as the first day progressed into the first evening, I realized that it was actually smart of me to go ahead and use the scooter because we were still able to have a great time as a family, and we got to do so much more than we had the day before, when I was limping along, and had to find a spot to sit every 10 minutes.

You have to remember that (unless you live in the Orlando area) the chances that you will *ever* see anyone you know from your "real" life at Disney World are terrible! You literally have a better chance of getting hit by lightning *and* winning the lottery on the same day. No fooling.

It's a tool - that's all. It's a tool that lets you go on, and have fun, and make memories with your family. You don't have to use it full-time; you can certainly park it, and walk around in an area, and then move on to another area. You don't have to sit on it to eat meals; you can park it outside (or even near your table) if you want. You don't have to have your pictures taken (whether you use PhotoPass/Memory Maker or just take selfies) when you are sitting on the scooter - you can always hop off (make sure you turn it off and take the key!) and take pictures, and then get back on.

When Disney changed the GAC to the DAS, it ended most of the abuse that was causing other Guests to be unhappy with mobility device users. As a result, most able-bodies folks now just ignore those of us on wheels. Very rarely does anyone here report that they have encountered outright rudeness - and if you do, just give them a big 'ol southern "Bless Your Heart!" and go on. Karma will take care of them!

I know this is tough. I can tell that you really want to go, and you really don't want to have to use the ECV (or other mobility device). But if you have to have one, know that you won't be alone; there are literally thousands of ECVs and wheelchairs at WDW at any given moment.

If I were you (and I was, once upon a time) I would go, and rent the ECV. That's 20/20 hindsight talking, I know. But don't let your fear of the unknown stop you from going to Disney World! We will all be here to answer your questions, and help you through this. Maybe even just take a deep breath, and re-read this thread from the beginning again to see how many of your questions have been answered, and then let us know if you have any more questions that we can help with!

It's so many things I have on my mind and this is such a big trip. I am thinking to ease my worry I may rent a scooter from BV rentals and book it for maybe a day or two into my trip. I don't mind being charged a cancellation fee. That way I am sure if I need it, I can get it.

Last edited:
I know this is hard for you.

I

When Disney changed the GAC to the DAS, it ended most of the abuse that was causing other Guests to be unhappy with mobility device users. As a result, most able-bodies folks now just ignore those of us on wheels. Very rarely does anyone here report that they have encountered outright rudeness - and if you do, just give them a big 'ol southern "Bless Your Heart!" and go on. Karma will take care of them!!

How did the change from GAC to DAS effect things?

How did the change from GAC to DAS effect things?

With the GAC, some folks were abusing the system, and kind of trying to treat it as a "front of the line" pass. Sometimes, folks who weren't disabled would hire someone who was disabled to be their unofficial "guide" and would use the GAC for the disabled person, which is fraudulent. To some extent, it wasn't being implemented fairly or evenly, simply because I think there was a lot of confusion among CMs about it, and so "regular" Guests who had been standing in line for a long time would see someone roll up in a mobility device, and it appeared that they would go right in, and it fostered a LOT of resentment towards those who use mobility devices. Additionally, it was tough for people with "invisible disabilities"; they were even more reviled because it looked like they had somehow just skipped the line. Over time, there was enough fraud, enough complaints and enough problems with it that Disney decided to replace it with the DAS.

With the DAS, all of that is not really possible now because of how it works, and the fact that if your primary issue is resolved by using a mobility device, then you are going to simply drive that device through the queue with everyone else. There are cases where a person is better served by waiting outside the line, but the overall effect is that the average Guest at WDW now feels like everyone waits in line - which makes it more fair, and less prone to fraud.

With the GAC, some folks were abusing the system, and kind of trying to treat it as a "front of the line" pass. Sometimes, folks who weren't disabled would hire someone who was disabled to be their unofficial "guide" and would use the GAC for the disabled person, which is fraudulent. To some extent, it wasn't being implemented fairly or evenly, simply because I think there was a lot of confusion among CMs about it, and so "regular" Guests who had been standing in line for a long time would see someone roll up in a mobility device, and it appeared that they would go right in, and it fostered a LOT of resentment towards those who use mobility devices. Additionally, it was tough for people with "invisible disabilities"; they were even more reviled because it looked like they had somehow just skipped the line. Over time, there was enough fraud, enough complaints and enough problems with it that Disney decided to replace it with the DAS.

With the DAS, all of that is not really possible now because of how it works, and the fact that if your primary issue is resolved by using a mobility device, then you are going to simply drive that device through the queue with everyone else. There are cases where a person is better served by waiting outside the line, but the overall effect is that the average Guest at WDW now feels like everyone waits in line - which makes it more fair, and less prone to fraud.
So you take the ECV into the regular line? I thought you had to park it?

So you take the ECV into the regular line? I thought you had to park it?

Oh no! You can do either - whatever works best for you!

There are a couple of exceptions (PeopleMover, Pirates and Buzz Lightyear at MK come to mind right away) but for the most part, you can choose to either park the ECV outside the ride or attraction - or - you can ride it on in! If your ECV has to be parked while you ride, typically a CM will park it for you, and then you will be reunited with it after the ride. :) A lot of us carry a folding cane on the ECV so that we have a bit of extra help/stability for those few steps you may have to take without it.

Make sure you go with one of the vendors that Disney approves of.
So if you have any problem with scooter they can come into the park and replace it
Nothing is like pushing a scooter

I have no idea what to do. I am so upset, I have been feeling so awful and no real answers (on top of what I already have wrong with me that I do know). I feel such pressure having to make this decision now and it's such a big one, go or cancel.
I am so sorry! How soon is your trip? We are waiting it out until the week before to decide if we go or postpone. Honestly, my family is on board with postponing until Mom is better but my issue is an injury and just needs time. Using an ECV to help with mobility issues is one thing but feeling physically ill or in a tremendous amount of pain is a different story. Only you know how you feel and if you are up for a trip regardless if you need a ECV or not. I hope you feel better soon!

It's so many things I have on my mind and this is such a big trip. I am thinking to ease my worry I may rent a scooter from BV rentals and book it for maybe a day or two into my trip. I don't mind being charged a cancellation fee. That way I am sure if I need it, I can get it. I am worried they won't have any left if I wait. I really don't want one of those big park ones if I need one. The other issue I have an infant in a stroller and an older child with low muscle tone who will be a first time walker there (we put her in the stroller last time when she was just 3 but used a stroller for her up until about 7 years old, until she became too heavy). So I also worry if I have an ECV and baby is in a stroller, she will want help with the walking, I know it's going to be a lot for her too. She has never walked so long ever in all these years, I worry how she will hold up. I am also worried if I don't get the ECV and try to get the DAS again, they won't give it to me. I am panicked about that. I have gotten one both other times I was there but I think it was too long ago to be in the system still.

I just wish I didnt have these current undiagnosed yet health issues looming over my head. At the current state I am in, I don't even know if I should ride some of the thrill rides and that is upsetting me too. I just wish I had another month or two to finally get to the root of my current new medical issues that are plaguing me. Ugh. I try to tell myself we will have a great time even if I don't go on some rides, someone has to watch the baby anyway at that time. It's just the feeling of worry about not knowing what to do that is troubling me.
Have you thought about getting a stroller as a wheelchair tag for your little one ( I do not know if you have another adult going with you or not.) but this way she can be in her stroller and not have to worry about all the walking that there is at Disney.

I have no idea what to do. I am so upset, I have been feeling so awful and no real answers (on top of what I already have wrong with me that I do know). I feel such pressure having to make this decision now and it's such a big one, go or cancel.
yes I have also been like you and not wanting to use a scooter. it got so bad i was crying at the park. the scooter made all the difference for me for a few trips in fact I never expected to be able to do a trip without one after the first time I used one. then I was given a folding cane and granted I walk slow but I made whole days. are you guaranteed that you for sure not need a scooter if you postpone your trip or is it you hoping? I know I would go as scheduled but I have the hind sight that makes that an easier choice to make. if I could have everything as I want I would take a late spring trip over a summer trip but because of a court order if I want one of my grandsons on the trip I have to take summers. it is a choice I make. my guess stress is getting to you. I would sit down with everyone involved with trip and talk about what you guys can do and make a group decision for the group. just read about 7 year old walking issues, how much does she weigh? any chance you could rent a double stroller so both she and baby could ride at least part of time. Double strollers can also get stroller as a wheelchair tag. look into that while looking at DAS as that will allow stroller to come in line with you guys

Last edited:
I am so sorry! How soon is your trip? We are waiting it out until the week before to decide if we go or postpone. Honestly, my family is on board with postponing until Mom is better but my issue is an injury and just needs time. Using an ECV to help with mobility issues is one thing but feeling physically ill or in a tremendous amount of pain is a different story. Only you know how you feel and if you are up for a trip regardless if you need a ECV or not. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you and I hope you heal quickly.

OP - have you considered a double stroller for the kids? I don’t know if that’s an option. I gather the older child is ~8 yrs old and “too heavy” to push, with the younger child ~1 yr old. I think the offsite rental doubles recommend max 55 lbs per child, which might be too low for an 8-yr-old; besides the fact pushing 2 of such different sizes can be challenging.

I suggest taking it slow, at the older child’s pace and you with an ECV. Don’t plan 12+ hour days in the parks. Prioritize a must-do for everyone. Take rest breaks, snack and/or beverage, people watch. Then move on. Don’t push her limits, and keep in mind she may have more stamina on the first couple days than by the end of your trip, so don’t max her out on the first few days.

The kids will have a terrific time. Don’t stress over what you can’t get to. Nobody can do it all.

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA: we posted at the same time. I see you clarified a double-stroller is out.

OP - have you considered a double stroller for the kids? I don’t know if that’s an option. I gather the older child is ~8 yrs old and “too heavy” to push, with the younger child ~1 yr old. I think the offsite rental doubles recommend max 55 lbs per child, which might be too low for an 8-yr-old; besides the fact pushing 2 of such different sizes can be challenging.

I suggest taking it slow, at the older child’s pace and you with an ECV. Don’t plan 12+ hour days in the parks. Prioritize a must-do for everyone. Take rest breaks, snack and/or beverage, people watch. Then move on. Don’t push her limits, and keep in mind she may have more stamina on the first couple days than by the end of your trip, so don’t max her out on the first few days.

The kids will have a terrific time. Don’t stress over what you can’t get to. Nobody can do it all.

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA: we posted at the same time. I see you clarified a double-stroller is out.

Thank you, yes we probably did post at the same time. I booked a very long trip with all of this in mind, so we can take our time due to our various issues. I hope this all goes better than I imagine it might.

I just wanted to add another thought about off site rentals. My DH uses a wheelchair at disney. The first two trips, we used disney wheelchair, which meant at MK perhaps waiting in a line for 20-30 mins to rent one. The other parks weren't at bad, but still a short wait. After that we started using an off site rental, a little bit of a pain on buses, but sooooo much nicer when waiting for those buses.

Thank you, yes we probably did post at the same time. I booked a very long trip with all of this in mind, so we can take our time due to our various issues. I hope this all goes better than I imagine it might.
something I just thought about for older one would helping push the stroller give her more support and help with walking? just another idea thinking of things I used to do to avoid ECV

something I just thought about for older one would helping push the stroller give her more support and help with walking? just another idea thinking of things I used to do to avoid ECV

Unfortunately she cant tolerate the added weight of pushing the stroller. :(

Don't let the 'Debbie Downers' get to you. :grouphug:

A scooter isn't the end of the World (pun intended) - instead, I think it will open up a new frame of mind. You'll be the little engine that could - because you care enough to make sure you'll be able to keep from holding anybody back. Walking at Disney can be a load, even for the most hardened of trudgers. I think we logged almost 12 miles one day on a past trip.

I'm sort of in the same boat here. My DH is getting to the point where an entire DisneyDay on his own 2 feet is becoming impossible. The next time we go, he keeps saying he wants to rent a scooter. I, on the other hand, was horrified at even the thought of such a thing.

UNTIL
I started reading threads like this one. Now I'm looking forward to it, and hoping that HE doesn't outlast me :rotfl2: I'm just happy knowing that he'll be happy

I'm sorry you're going through this. I would recommend renting a scooter offsite as well so you have it when you need it. I was in the same boat for our last trip. I'm 36 and recently diagnosed with heart issues. It was very difficult for me to wrap my mind around needing a scooter when just 6 months earlier I didn't. I also can't go on rides that I used to while my daughter is finally getting to a height where she can and I have to watch everything I eat so some of my old favorites are out. It's hard and it's ok to mourn those things. And maybe it'll be a different trip but it'll still be amazing if you go into it with the right mindset. I was mainly nervous about other guests seeing me and being rude because I'm young and look perfectly healthy. In reality, no one noticed or cared and most people were generally friendly and nice. My daughter got a kick out of the scooter, she thought it was cool. On the way back from the bus stop if no one was around, I would race her in the stroller and she loved that and talks about it still. In the parks I would often park the scooter and then walk to the different attractions or if we were going out for a little while to eat or something I wouldn't take it at all. But I did need it, and there were many times I would just sit in it to rest so it was a relief to have it. So as someone who's been there, I know it'll be hard but you won't have fun if you're not feeling good. Rent the scooter and have fun with your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter