ECV riders - does the ECV ever bother your neck, back or other?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Still thinking about if I get an ECV< it may alleviate my ankle, knee and leg problems, but I worry it may agitate my neck, hand and back problems based on the position. For example years ago when I had less injuries, riding a bicycle always bothered my herniated disk in my neck from leaning forward while riding. Now I have many more injuries. So I wonder, when you ride an ECV, do you sit upright? Or sort of have to lean forward like riding a bicycle to hold on to the handles? So worried about it all still.

I sit upright, and I tend to switch hands during the day, so that one doesn't get more cramped than the other. I have neck and back problems, and I don't find that it irritates my neck or back more than sitting in a chair would.

Mostly, it's about the same as driving a car; I don't lean forward much, except when going up a hill (to help shift my center of gravity forward).

I think that a standard rental ECV seat will be much more like a riding lawnmower seat (although less bumpy LOL) than a bike seat.

I sit upright on an ECV. I find bike riding very painful; ECV not as it is very different.

One note: how the lever to make the ECV move works can be important if you have hand issues.

I rented from Walker my very first ECV rental and while the service was great, the lever made my thumb and hand hurt A LOT very quickly. I simply cannot use that style of lever [but I did not know that until I tried it...). My next rental (same trip; after the cruise) was from Buena Vista and the lever style is different and thee action is different. The BV was fine, no pain issues, and they are who I have rented from each time since.

SW

I sit upright on an ECV. I find bike riding very painful; ECV not as it is very different.

One note: how the lever to make the ECV move works can be important if you have hand issues.

I rented from Walker my very first ECV rental and while the service was great, the lever made my thumb and hand hurt A LOT very quickly. I simply cannot use that style of lever [but I did not know that until I tried it...). My next rental (same trip; after the cruise) was from Buena Vista and the lever style is different and thee action is different. The BV was fine, no pain issues, and they are who I have rented from each time since.

SW
Glad to hear it's not like riding a bike in anyway. Thankfully Yes, I do have hand issues too.
I was planning to do BV if I do rent one, which of the 3 might be best you think? And why?

Glad to hear it's not like riding a bike in anyway. Thankfully Yes, I do have hand issues too.
I was planning to do BV if I do rent one, which of the 3 might be best you think? And why?

Well, the first criteria will be your weight as that may make the decision for you.

If that is not an issue, then it depends how you will be using it. If you plan to use a car and need it to break down, then you need the one that can do that.

I just get their standard scooter and have been quite happy with it.

SW

Well, the first criteria will be your weight as that may make the decision for you.

If that is not an issue, then it depends how you will be using it. If you plan to use a car and need it to break down, then you need the one that can do that.

I just get their standard scooter and have been quite happy with it.

SW

Weight not a factor. Car not a factor. Speed seems to be the difference, 4.5 mph or 6mph? Any thoughts?

Most people drive one sitting up. I have Spondylolisthesis so I always lean forward. Not sure how I changed the type on this or how to change it back.

My biggest concern with a scooter is getting one that will last longer. There are one and two battery scooters. I would get the two battery one.

Weight not a factor. Car not a factor. Speed seems to be the difference, 4.5 mph or 6mph? Any thoughts?

Well, the average person's walking speed (with no relation to theme parks) is 3.1 mph. Given that the parks are often crowded, I would suspect the average walking speed is probably a little less there. So I would assume the 4.5 mph would be plenty.

You will pretty much never use it at full speed as that is too dangerous around other people. Most of the time you will be at "turtle" or the slowest speed or just above it. The standard is perfectly fine for navigating the parks and its highest speed is too fast to use in a crowd.

SW

I would seriously not worry about the speed. Those rental scooters are FAST. The speed control goes between turtle and rabbit. Mine is set very close to the turtle 95% of the time. I have never, in all the years I've rented them, used the speed even set at halfway. I wouldn't be concerned about battery either. I've done 14 hour park days on them, and 10 hour park days quite often, and never even come close to running low on battery power. Of course this assumes that you keep it plugged it all night to charge all the way up.

Sitting straight up is the usual position for me on an ECV. I do move around quite a bit to keep comfortable, and sometimes switch driving hands. My biggest problem is that an ECV is a double edged sword for me. My knees are shot (waiting on total replacements now) and sitting with them bent for any length of time makes it so I can barely walk when I stand. I also cannot walk the parks, so often stretch my legs straight out to and rest my heels on front of the ECV. At home I have to sit in a recliner all day. Knees are tricky to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!