ECV with Uber or Lyft?

myjourney

DIS Veteran
I have to use a ECV when at Disney and I was wondering if any of the ride services can pickup customers with ECV? I know the buses and Skyliner do but I know nothing about ride service.

I do know that in *some* locations you can request a special Uber or Lyft, (and honestly, I think it's just Silicon Valley and maybe?maybe? NYC?) but I have no idea how to do that, quite frankly or what kind of vehicle will actually show up, or how much assistance you would actually get from the driver. I don't count on Uber/Lyft for my personal transportation for that reason.

IF your ECV will disassemble AND all the parts will fit in the trunk of a standard car, AND you can lift those parts into/out of the trunk by yourself, you could probably be fine with whoever shows up.

I think that the Mears taxi-vans can be reserved in advance? Not sure; you might want to contact them directly to find out what services they offer, and what the average cost would be.

Minnie Vans are fantastic, and we have never had a bad driver (they are all Disney CMs). Since we don't know what's really going to happen when Disney re-opens (and a lot will depend on when you next visit) you should definitely check with the Front Desk Concierge services ahead of time to ask how far in advance you should call for a Minnie Van once you are there; they will generally have a solid idea of how long it takes for one to arrive to your Resort (on average).

I do know that in *some* locations you can request a special Uber or Lyft, (and honestly, I think it's just Silicon Valley and maybe?maybe? NYC?)
Boston, too. Relatively certain now-former rideshare driver here has posted not available in Central (or maybe all of) Florida.

If you can use it, get yourself a lightweight ECV that folds down/comes apart easily. Total game changer! My dad had a big, heavy ECV and a van to transport it in, but after a cruise port stop in the Bahamas where 2 big local guys had to lift it off the ship for him (due to tides the ramp was too steep to just roll up), he went looking for something smaller. Found himself one that was still four wheels for stability, but super light, foldable, and easy to manage. That thing fit in the trunk of even the smallest rideshare, inside a regular non-accessible cruise cabin, and everywhere else you can think of. Many back procedures and lots of of PT later, he no longer uses an ECV, but I don't think he'd ever go back to a big one again.

If the ECV breaks down for stowage then as soon as your ride is picked up, txt the driver and explain that your chair will fit in their trunk like luggage but you will need it loaded and unloaded. Mention that you tip well. I usually also offer to cancel the ride if the driver doesn't want to do this, which sometimes costs me an extra $5, but its better than dealing with a grumpy driver on the sidewalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter