Eddie Van Halen

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Since the age of about 15, rarely has a day passed when I haven't listened to or thought of a Van Halen song. Eddie was unquestionably my favorite musician of all time. I was fortunate enough to meet him three times in my life and -- as a music journalist -- I would ask his wife once or twice a year if I could pop by his home studio for an interview. Recently when she told me that he wasn't available, it never occurred to me that the man may be sick. This is heartbreaking and I feel that a large part of my youth has just been ripped away.

0FB946F4-0A25-480B-BD2F-D8A5F8ADC861.jpeg

E42B9F91-3F80-4900-A15C-E362545E94F4.jpeg

Since the age of about 15, rarely has a day passed when I haven't listened to or thought of a Van Halen song. Eddie was unquestionably my favorite musician of all time. I was fortunate enough to meet him three times in my life and -- as a music journalist -- I would ask his wife once or twice a year if I could pop by his home studio for an interview. Recently when she told me that he wasn't available, it never occurred to me that the man may be sick. This is heartbreaking and I feel that a large part of my youth has just been ripped away.

View attachment 530418

View attachment 530419

You look really happy in that picture. I always thought Eddie had a nice smile. His whole face lit up when he smiled. My older brother was a huge Van Halen fan in the 80s. My brother in law hand stitched a big VH (the logo that looks like wings) on the back of a sleeveless denim vest for my brother and he wore it everywhere.

View attachment 530418

View attachment 530419

My husband feels the same. He’s 49 and I think Eddie is the first big loss from his youth. He felt almost as crushed as I felt when Carrie Fisher died.

We saw Van Halen in Vegas and Houston when they reunited with DLR in maybe 2008? I can’t remember exactly, but it was definitely before 2010. They were awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!