Eeek... family moving to Japan Air Force base...

Mommy2PrincessAbby

DIS Veteran
My favorite niece and her hubby just got orders to the base on Japan... the google tells me they will be 1.5 hours from Disney! This of course means we will have to go visit them. I have no knowledge other than Tokyo Disney is supposed to be wicked cool. I promise I will read the boards. But thoughts on best times to go... if we have to go over a break (I have a high schooler, so pulling out of school is not really possible), is late March good for Japan? November break? Or summer better? How many days? We are 3-4 days at DL type people (the more the better, honestly.) I know nothing about Japan, other must sees while we are there, assuming a week? We live on the west coast... so not the worst flights from the US I guess. I am so excited for her... they have 3 boys (5, 4, 3...) so I am sure they will go more than once in the 4 years they will be over there. TIA!

do not pick march, it is really busy then. November can be good depending when you go. Early summer is good, as in end of June begging of July. usually they have their tanabata celebration which means you will see people dressed up in their yukata (light summer kimonos). The max amount of days they sell is 4. This is what I like to get, plus they also sell evening passes which are great for arrival day.

We are 3-4 days at DL type people (the more the better, honestly.) I know nothing about Japan, other must sees while we are there, assuming a week? We live on the west coast... so not the worst flights from the US I guess. I am so excited for her... they have 3 boys (5, 4, 3...) so I am sure they will go more than once in the 4 years they will be over there. TIA!

I'd recommend at least four days at TDR, and the same for Tokyo, plus two for Kyoto. Could you do a long week? Two weeks would be better so you could add a couple of days in Osaka, and one to see Hiroshima. You could also spend a day visiting Yokohama.

If June is good, we could do two weeks. I am from Oregon, we do not have humidity... so that would be hard if it is crazy hot and humid. Airfare is expensive. So I would rather spend more time than less. If we went over fall break in November, I was thinking of flying out Friday, Saturday arrival, and we would stay till the following Saturday. Would only give us 6 full days and a partial day. Which isn’t much I realize. Especially if we did 3 Disney days. Dd is a geek over anything Japanese. But I really know nothing... need to do some research and figure out what must sees are for us.

I live in Bend now, so know what you mean. Our first trip to Japan was in July, before our kids did a summer session in Tokyo through the University of Portland. The heat and humidity were pretty bad, although we did get through it. Our second trip was two years later, in May. It was much nicer. Early June might be okay.

From what I've heard, November can get cold. Plus flying over Thanksgiving weekend can be expensive. If I had to pick between them, I'd do two weeks in early June. The must see's really depend on whether you're more into history or pop culture.

The last time we went I tried to talk my kids into doing just three days at Disney, so we could spend one day at Universal in Osaka, but was voted down.

do not pick march, it is really busy then. November can be good depending when you go. Early summer is good, as in end of June begging of July. usually they have their tanabata celebration which means you will see people dressed up in their yukata (light summer kimonos). The max amount of days they sell is 4. This is what I like to get, plus they also sell evening passes which are great for arrival day.
Is the beginning of June good? We might be going end of May/beginning of June next year. I’m a little worried about the heat and rain.

Early June was good for us two years ago. I worried about rain too, but it only drizzled a little one day. It was a little hot if no clouds, but nothing too bad. We are used to comfortable weather living near San Francisco. Crowds were good too on weekdays. Low enough that TDL didn't even run the show lottery.

Is the beginning of June good? We might be going end of May/beginning of June next year. I’m a little worried about the heat and rain.
you will likely get a mix of rainy days and hot days. I actually like the rainy days because it keeps the crowds lower, and generally it's still warm so you won't be wet and cold. I wouldn't worry as it probably won't rain the whole day, and it is more of a drizzle and not at all like the downpours in Florida. At that time of year the humidity has not gotten bad, so the hot days are manageable. overall I would say it is a great time to go.

Early June was good for us two years ago. I worried about rain too, but it only drizzled a little one day. It was a little hot if no clouds, but nothing too bad. We are used to comfortable weather living near San Francisco. Crowds were good too on weekdays. Low enough that TDL didn't even run the show lottery.
you will likely get a mix of rainy days and hot days. I actually like the rainy days because it keeps the crowds lower, and generally it's still warm so you won't be wet and cold. I wouldn't worry as it probably won't rain the whole day, and it is more of a drizzle and not at all like the downpours in Florida. At that time of year the humidity has not gotten bad, so the hot days are manageable. overall I would say it is a great time to go.
Thank you both. That’s very reassuring!

Early June is beautiful taken kids twice then Hydrangeas stunning never seen blooms so large as Japan .We went to see my son who was at Nagoya University this July never again would i go in July its to hot prefer June We could not do much as to hot .June it rained but showers and was brief.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!