Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Hi all. I hate to be a pain but I just stumbled onto this thread and I am confused. Are the people quickly trying to buy add-ons through Disney, owners that had only resale contracts?

We bought BLT directly from Disney 10 years ago (170 points). Am I good for all member benefits?

My cousin bought 100 Beach club points about six years ago on the resale market and has been able to buy annual passes at the DVC prices so I assume she is grandfathered in to everything. Correct? Will she remain if she has no direct points from Disney?

Thanks for any help!!

My cousin bought 100 Beach club points about six years ago on the resale market and has been able to buy annual passes at the DVC prices so I assume she is grandfathered in to everything. Correct? Will she remain if she has no direct points from Disney?

Thanks for any help!!

If she bought 6 years ago, she is grandfathered on most benefits.

Hi all. I hate to be a pain but I just stumbled onto this thread and I am confused. Are the people quickly trying to buy add-ons through Disney, owners that had only resale contracts?
Hi Cmbar, two main groups were key in trying to get the point requirements for membership extras before they changed (25 direct prior to 2/25, which now for new buyers / resale is 75 direct points after 2/25): Those that had resale contracts after the previous benefit requirement was enacted (April 2016 began requirements of owning 25 points direct for membership extras) trying to sneak in 25 points in an add on before the deadline, and those who currently didn't own at all to get those benefits without having to buy the full 75 direct (could buy 50 points at most resorts at the available rate).
We bought BLT directly from Disney 10 years ago (170 points). Am I good for all member benefits?
You're good for everything, restrictions started happening in 2011.

Thanks for any help!!
Your cousin is grandfathered into membership extras, but I believe she can't use her points for Concierge collection / Adventures by Disney which is generally thought of as a bad way to use points (better to rent out points and pay discount cash for those).

Hope this helps!

Thank you BrianR and MattyB!!

Yes I remember now that my cousin can’t use her points for cruising! And I agree it’s not a good use of points anyways. But I’m glad she’ll still be able to buy her annual passes.

Glad I’m set for all benefits!!

How about this scenario? We purchased over 75 BLT points (160) direct from Disney in addition to several resale packages over the years (all contracts have been purchased at least 5 years or longer ago. We have sold the BLT points late last year but still own resale points. We haven't been notified of any changes in our membership benefits. What should we expect?

With the resale contracts you're still grandfathered. For the future.. who knows? Probably neither Disney.
They might create a VIP system and let only direct points count, or still keep in everyone who is currently grandfathered. A VIP system might mean than even current direct owners could loose benefits if they don't own enought points.

How about this scenario? We purchased over 75 BLT points (160) direct from Disney in addition to several resale packages over the years (all contracts have been purchased at least 5 years or longer ago. We have sold the BLT points late last year but still own resale points. We haven't been notified of any changes in our membership benefits. What should we expect?

If you bought the resale before the changes you are still grandfathered in. If your resale happened to be after April 2016, you would lose your member benefits by selling the direct contract. We have one contract bought before the changes, one after, both resale. I tell my wife never sell the one from before the change!

Can’t find an answer to this question. I have a resale contract purchased before the 4/4/16 deadline so I’m good on most of the membership extras. I believe the only thing I’m missing out on is the Disney and Concierge Collections benefits. I would never use my points for that anyway but I would maybe someday be interested in a member cruise. The language says you can’t even pay cash for a member cruise if you didn’t buy direct by the 3/21/11 deadline. Does the new 75 point minimum also apply to the Disney and Concierge Collections benefit? If I bought a 25 point direct add-on, would I still be prevented from paying cash for a member cruise?

Does the new 75 point minimum also apply to the Disney and Concierge Collections benefit? If I bought a 25 point direct add-on, would I still be prevented from paying cash for a member cruise?

No, that would qualify you to pay cash for the member cruise. However, only those 25 points could be used for a cruise or the disney/concierge collections.

With 25 points and the stellar exchange rate, you MAY have enough to be able to hang out in a stairwell at All Star Sports for one night (as long as nobody sees you...)

With 25 points and the stellar exchange rate, you MAY have enough to be able to hang out in a stairwell at All Star Sports for one night (as long as nobody sees you...)

That’s why I prefaced my question with I would never use my points (even if I were allowed) to book a cruise or a hotel room. Perhaps I don’t know how the member cruise booking works. I’m only looking for the option to pay cash if I ever wanted to do it. Maybe that’s not an option. I don’t know.

That’s why I prefaced my question with I would never use my points (even if I were allowed) to book a cruise or a hotel room. Perhaps I don’t know how the member cruise booking works. I’m only looking for the option to pay cash if I ever wanted to do it. Maybe that’s not an option. I don’t know.

25 direct points will qualify you for that the way I read it. The 75 points is for "membership extras" which is the incidental benefits portion of the ownership agreement.
  • Effective, March 21, 2011, Members who do not purchase their ownership interests directly from Disney will not be able to use those vacation points or cash for the Member Cruise.

Can’t find an answer to this question. I have a resale contract purchased before the 4/4/16 deadline so I’m good on most of the membership extras. I believe the only thing I’m missing out on is the Disney and Concierge Collections benefits. I would never use my points for that anyway but I would maybe someday be interested in a member cruise. The language says you can’t even pay cash for a member cruise if you didn’t buy direct by the 3/21/11 deadline. Does the new 75 point minimum also apply to the Disney and Concierge Collections benefit? If I bought a 25 point direct add-on, would I still be prevented from paying cash for a member cruise?
As written, I agree with the responses, however, it's subject to the whims of DVD so I'd ask and I'd want to get it in writing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter