El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 1

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 1 – SATURDAY 21st OCTOBER 2006 (sorry no photos today)

We were on the Disney Dining Plan, so I had pre-booked my ADRs for TS meals and had some idea of where and when to have our CS meals. However, I was going to be fairly laid back on these – I didn’t want a mutiny from DW, DS15 and DD13 pirate: . This turned out to be a sensible approach – things didn’t go to plan generally throughout our vacation, especially CS meals.

The game plan for Saturday was to arrive at our resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge) at about 5pm then head off to Magic Kingdom via Coronado Springs using the bus service. The idea was to eat at the Pepper Court using some CS credits.

We arrived at Sanford on Saturday at around 3pm. We had to wait fair while for our baggage to arrive and I had a few problems with the rental car, so we didn’t get to our resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge) until around 6pm. In view of this we decided to skip messing about with buses to get to CSR and decided to eat in MK itself.

We watched Spectromagic and then Wishes (Hallowishes in fact) then tried looking for a CS restaurant. We ended up having a meal at Cosmic Rays as it was the only place that seemed to be open after 9pm. I’d intended to take photos of our meals throughout the trip but in my haste forgot my camera – just what I was determined not to do. Sorry folks!

Date: Saturday 21st October 2006
Time: 9:30pm (ish)

Overall:
Food rating: 5/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

We had:

Me:
1/2 Chicken and BBQ Rib Combination with Mashed Potatoes and carrots $13.99
Brownie (no sugar added) $2.49
32oz Diet Coke - $2.39

DW:
Fried Chicken Strips, with French Fries - $6.69
Orange Juice - $2.39

DS:
Fried Chicken Strips, with French Fries - $6.69
Orange Juice - $2.39

DD:
Chicken Garden Salad with ranch dressing and small Orange Juice $3.99
+2 portions of carrots (she didn’t want the other items so had these instead)

My chicken and ribs portion was huge (well not UK size anyway). The chicken was passable, as were the ribs. The mashed potatoes were good (I like the texture and colour given by the red skins being kept on. The carrots were not so good – rather soggy and tasteless. I’d give it 7/10.

DW and DS chicken strips looked good. There were 4 good-sized strips per portion. They only gave 6/10 and 5/10, respectively, however. You don’t mess with DW and DS when it comes to food tasting.

DD was disappointed with her kids chicken garden salad. She is 13, and was paying adult price on the dining plan but fancied the chicken salad. She got a bowl of salad leaves with one small piece of chicken, and I’ve already mentioned the carrots. She gave this a 4/10. Which I thought was generous. I should have complained but it was late, tired and I am a Brit (we tend to grin and bear it – it’s in our genes or something).

We took the brownies back to the resort and ate them later. They were quite tasty but not very rich (which suited me).

Day 2 includes dinner at Boma - post coming soon, this time with photos.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

I love cosmic rays and eat there every trip. But I eat there for lunch and maybe the food is fresher then? I have always been afraid to eat the no sugar added brownies. I can't stand diet soda so I figure I won't like them. Thanks for the review!

I can't wait to hear your Boma report. We will be eating there for the first time on Dec 26th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter