El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 2

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 2 – SUNDAY 22nd OCTOBER 2006

The plan today was to visit Animal Kingdom – breakfast at Tusker House Restaurant and lunch at Flame Tree Barbecue. I had an ADR at Boma for dinner.

Breakfast
Time: 9:30am

Overall:
Food rating: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 7/10

It was just my DS and me for breakfast here. DW and DD had theirs at Mara (my travel agency didn’t keep their promise to leave our Orlando Flextickets at the hotel reception, so my DW volunteered to stay behind to meet the rep to get them). My DS and I had:

Me:
Scrambled Eggs, with home fries, biscuit and choice of bacon or sausage $5.29
Orange Juice - $2.39

DS:
Scrambled Eggs, with home fries, biscuit and choice of bacon or sausage $5.29
Orange Juice - $2.39

This was a fairly substantial and tasty breakfast in a nice location – especially outside. I’d give it 7/10.

As we both had the same, there is just one picture of the breakfast and also a picture of inside and outside the back of the restaurant:
113791PA220978resize.jpg

113791PA220983resize.jpg

113791PA220982resize.jpg

Lunch
Time: 1:30pm

Overall:
Food rating: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 10/10

We had:

Me:
Smoked Pork Sandwich served with baked beans and corn on the cob $7.29
Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade - $2.99
Regular Diet Coke - $2.09

DW:
Smoked 1/2 Chicken served with baked beans and corn on the cob - $7.99 Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade - $2.99
Regular Diet Coke - $2.09

113791PA221019resize.jpg

DS:
Fruit Plate - seasonal sliced fruit plate served with honey yogurt $6.99
French Fries - $3.49
Regular Coke - $2.09
113791PA221017resize.jpg

DD:
Smoked Barbecue Chicken Salad -- crisp greens and tomato with balsamic vinaigrette dressing in a toasted garlic shell $6.99
French Fries - $3.49
Bottled Water - $2.00
113791PA221018resize.jpg

I was initially a little disappointed about the size of my pork sandwich but it was very tender and tasty. In fact it was perfectly adequate size-wise. I’d give it 8/10.
My DW thought that the smoked chicken was okay but didn’t rave about it – probably a 6/10. DS was really impressed with his fruit plate. I must admit it looked fantastic. There was too much for him to finish by himself – so we all helped :teeth: . I’d give it a 9/10. DD was much more impressed with her chicken salad than the previous evening’s one at Cosmic Ray’s. I’d give it 7/10 on her behalf.
The restaurant location was fantastic – especially if you are prepared to walk a little from the counter down to the water’s edge. There you can wave to Mickey, Minnie and Goofy on their boat on Discovery River.
113791PA221021resize.jpg

113791DSCF0200resize.jpg

113791PA221025resize.jpg

Dinner
Time: 6:00pm

Overall:
Food rating: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 7/10

We had:

Me (I forced myself to try 3 plates for the purposes of this review, honest):
1st plate from the top, clockwise:
Mustard Salmon; Bobotie (nice but sweet – tastes a bit like Christmas pudding); Mealie Bread; Crusted Prime Rib (delicious and tender); Potatoes with Afritude (in middle of plate)
113791PA221069resize.jpg

2nd plate from the top, clockwise:
Potato Salad (ok); Mixed Salad & Balsamic Vinaigrette; Apple & Jicano Salad (hidden under the Mixed Salad I think); Corn & Plantain Salad (too vinegary for me)
113791PA221073resize.jpg

3rd plate from the top, clockwise:
Banana Bread with Vanilla Sauce; Zebra Dome (shock, horror, I didn’t like it – too sweet and sickly); Pineapple; Chai Tea Rice Pudding; Chocolate Mousse (delicious); grapes (in the middle)
113791PA231076resize.jpg

DW:
Not aesthetically arranged :crazy2: but - Roast Vegetables; Crusted Prime Rib; Mustard Salmon; Potatoes with Afritude; Coleslaw; Chicken
113791PA221070resize.jpg

Peach Crumble; Chocolate Mousse; Zebra Dome; not sure – a Brownie, I think
113791PA221074resize.jpg

DS:
Didn’t want to play ball as he was embarrassed by me photographing food (though not as much as me doing the photographing). That’s teenagers for you! :rolleyes:

DD:
Meatballs with Penne Pasta (also in the middle of plate and at 3 o’clock); Roast Vegetables (excellent, she said); Crusted Prime Rib; Mealie Bread; Potatoes with Afritude
113791PA221068resize.jpg

Blueberry & Custard Tartlet (I think); Pineapple; Peach Crumble; Strawberries; Chocolate Mousse
113791PA221072resize.jpg

The restaurant was pleasant enough but very noisy as it was busy and there wasn’t much in the way of soft furnishings to deaden the sound (in fact this seemed to be an issue at many of the Disney restaurants to a greater or lesser extent).

OOP cost per head would have been $25.99 + tax + gratuity

Next to come - Day 3 includes Fantasmic Package @ Hollywood Brown Derby

I enjoyed your reviews and photos. My family has eaten at all of the restaurants you reviewed, and it was nice to read anothers perspective. You are not alone in your zebra dome assessment...I can't figure out all of the hype either. I am anxious to read your upcoming Brown Derby review. It has been about 5 years since we have eaten there, but we will be doing the fantasmic package at the BD in January.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Great photos and a lovely family you have! Was your pork sandwich spicey at all? I did not like the rub on the chicken there so if it tastes similar to that spice wise then I wouldn't like it. Thanks for the reviews!

Lexxiefern said:
Great photos and a lovely family you have! Was your pork sandwich spicey at all? I did not like the rub on the chicken there so if it tastes similar to that spice wise then I wouldn't like it. Thanks for the reviews!

Thank you for the compliment.

I didn't find the pork sandwich to be very spicy but I'm used to spicier food in the UK, so that may not be saying much. Because the pork is pulled off the bone, I think there is very little of the rub. My main recollection is of it being slightly salty but very tender and juicy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter