• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 3

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 3 – MONDAY 23rd OCTOBER 2006

The plan today was to have a ‘free’ day starting with a light, snack breakfast. Lunch would be at Downtown Disney – either Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express. We had a 4.30pm dinner ADR at Hollywood Brown Derby as part of the Fantasmic Package.

It didn’t turn out that way though due to the loss of my contact lens at Magic Kingdom the night before. I had to find and optician and get a replacement.

Meals ended up as follows:

Breakfast
Time: 8:50am

Overall:
Food rating: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

Me:
Breakfast Wrap - $5.59
Large Orange Juice - $2.99

DW:
Adult Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, biscuit and bacon $5.59

DS:
Breakfast Wrap - $5.59

DD:
Adult Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, biscuit and bacon $5.59
Small Orange Juice - $1.69

113791PA231083resize.jpg

This was a fairly average but tasty breakfast. The adult breakfast platter could be had with either sausage (in patty form) or bacon. DW and DD had bacon with theirs. DS and I both had the breakfast wrap – a soft flour tortilla wrapped around a filling of scrambled eggs and a choice of sausage or bacon (we both had the sausage), accompanied by a portion of the Potatoes with Afritude we had had at Boma the previous evening.

Lunch
We had:
Zip – unless you count some very tasty treats from Ghiardellis (sorry no photos, and not available on the DDP). We were already way too full after our evening at Boma and a top-up at Mara. We needed some room for our early dinner at the Brown Derby.

Dinner
Time: 4:30pm

Overall:
Food rating: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Atmosphere: 8/10

Prices shown are for courses bought separately. The Fantasmic Package price of $36.99 per head (+tax and gratuity) covered any appetiser, entrée and desert + non-alcoholic drinks. The Fantasmic Package at the Brown Derby was available to us on the DDP for 2 TS credits per head (inc. tax and gratuity)

We had:

Me:
Appetiser:
Sake Laced Crab Cake with Potato Panko Crust, Miso Aioli, and cucumber watermelon slaw $8.59
113791PA231085resize.jpg

Entree:
Char-grilled Filet Mignon with Dijon crushed potatoes, shallot-shiitake confit, mizuna and merlot reduction $28.99
113791PA231088resize.jpg

Desert:
Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee with a gingersnap sugar stick $6.99
113791PA231091resize.jpg

DW:
Appetiser:
Sake Laced Crab Cake with Potato Panko Crust, Miso Aioli, and cucumber watermelon slaw $8.59

Entree:
Char-grilled Filet Mignon with Dijon crushed potatoes, shallot-shiitake confit, mizuna and merlot reduction $28.99

Desert:
Flourless Chocolate Cake with port wine chocolate sauce, fresh berries and mango ice $7.99
113791PA231092resize.jpg

DS:
Appetiser:
Mulligatawny Soup - with Granny Smith apples and Autumn spiced creme fraiche. - $6.49
113791PA231087resize.jpg

Entree:
Pan Roasted Duck Breast & Duck Sausage - Served with toasted garlic grits, natural reduction, and chili jam. - $25.99
113791PA231089resize.jpg

Desert:

DD:
Appetiser:
Goat Cheese Cremini Mushroom Tortelloni - Served with tomato-fennel nectar, English peas, and Parma ham chip. - $6.99
113791PA231086resize.jpg

Entree:

Desert:

My wife and I supplemented our meal with a half-bottle (didn’t want a whole bottle) of Supery Cabernet Sauvignon at $28 +tax and gratuity. It had quite a peppery taste compared with other Cabernets. To be honest I didn’t think it was good value but there is a limit to how many soft drinks you can cope with on the DDP.

My crab cake and filet mignon were both good. The crème brulee was very good though both DS and DD left most of theirs (I don’t think they have had it before and weren’t impressed. What a waste! Philistines! :furious: ;) ) DW particularly liked her chocolate cake. In fact it was more like a rich chocolate truffle than a cake (I guess that is why it was flour-less). I sampled a bit – very good, very rich. My son was bowled over by both the mulligatawny soup and the duck. He allowed me to sample the duck. I had to agree – it was very tender and flavourful.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter