El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 4

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 4 – TUESDAY 24th OCTOBER 2006

As mentioned on my trip report in the UK Trip Report Forum (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1284540), the plan today was for us to spend all day at Magic Kingdom - taking in the Pepper Court at CSR on the way there for breakfast. We would have lunch in MK itself, maybe at Pecos Bill’s. We had an ADR for dinner at the Crystal Palace then an evening at MNSSHP till midnight.

Again it didn’t turn out that way because of sleepy heads from the previous night’s EMH at Disney MGM Studios and the fact that we had an opportunity to move to a bunk bed room (we had already been lucky enough to be upgraded to a Savannah room, the bunks beds were the icing on the cake for our teens).

Meals ended up as follows:

Breakfast
Time: 10:20am

Overall:
Food rating: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

This was much the same as previous days – so I won’t go to the trouble of listing who had what, etc. However we also spent some snack credits on a bagel, muffin, cookie and apple. Suffice to say that Mara got a far bigger share of my CS credits than I ever intended on this vacation. This isn’t the most cost effective approach to the Dining Plan, but I wasn’t going to stick to a plan that made everyone cranky (an apt word that I have borrowed from our American friends).

Lunch

The late breakfast meant that no-one was really in the mood for a full counter service meal. We just wanted something light to fill a small gap as well as something that was refreshing. As we were in the Adventureland area of Magic Kingdom, this seemed an ideal opportunity to try one of the legendary Dole Whip Floats for the first time. Considering my disappointment with the zebra domes, I was a little worried that these were over hyped too. I needn’t have worried – we all found them to be great. The pineapple had a nice zing that made for a very refreshing, pep-me-up snack. They were a bargain for a mere snack credit. Daniel, Rhiannon and I had the usual Pineapple Dole Whip Float, Heather had one with vanilla ice cream instead of the pineapple.

One word of warning – I kept getting terrible brain freeze with this (Rhiannon did too to some extent). Try eating it with a balaclava on.
113791PA241161resized.jpg

Dinner
Time: 5:10pm

Overall:
Food rating: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Although this was a mere buffet meal, this turned out to be an unexpectedly good dining experience – not just because of the Winnie-the-Pooh characters.

We had:

Me (no wonder I’m getting fatter – it’s all this food reviewing I’m being forced to do on your behalf…ahem!):
1st plate:
Multigrain roll (good); Beet Salad with Sag Dhal Dressing; Tropical Slaw; couscous (very good); edamame salad (very good); grated cheese; zinfandel dressing
113791PA241192resize.jpg

2nd plate:
Garlic Redskin Smashed Potatoes (very good); Broccoli tossed in Puri Puri and topped with Key Lime Ponzu (good); Medley of Vegetables with Balsamic Glaze (very good); Fire Roasted Corn Spoon bread (very good); Braised Kale and bacon; Fire Roasted Prime Rib (ok, but not as good as Boma); Herb Roasted Turkey (excellent); Slow Roasted Adobo Pork (ok, but not as good as Flame Tree Barbecue)
113791PA241197resize.jpg

3rd plate:
Banana Bread with Bailey’s Cream; Red Velvet Cheesecake; Coconut Flan; Apple Cobbler
113791PA241209resize.jpg

DW:
1st plate:
Didn’t want to play – just eat!

2nd plate:
Chocolate Cake (?); Coconut Flan; Apple Cobbler
113791PA241206resize.jpg

DS:
1st plate:
Didn’t want to play – just eat!

2nd plate:
Chocolate Chip Cookies; Vanilla Ice Cream
113791PA241208resize.jpg

DD:
1st plate:
Cheese Pizza; Herb Roasted Turkey; Vegetable Pasta; Roasted Vegetables
113791PA241195resize.jpg

2nd plate:
Apple Cobbler; Vanilla Ice Cream; Chocolate Ice Cream
113791PA241205resize.jpg

We were all pleasantly surprised by the quality and taste of this buffet food. It wasn’t as up-market as the Brown Derby, but generally we gave Crystal Palace the highest rating of the trip so far. Although the service wasn’t full table service, we found the server (Debbie from Maine) to be very friendly and helpful. She made sure we got to see all of the characters before we left the restaurant.
113791PA241215resize.jpg

113791PA241196resize.jpg

113791PA241219resize.jpg

113791PA241219resize.jpg

113791PA241217resize.jpg

113791PA241200resize.jpg

113791PA241201resize.jpg

I also liked the dry flowers arranged into Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger.
113791PA241228resize.jpg

113791PA241229resize.jpg

113791PA241227resize.jpg

Great review... Now I'm gonna go back and find your other ones. The pictures at the end are really pretty.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter