Electric Wheelchair on DCL?

Erica1016

Mouseketeer
Good morning,
My husband and I are Disney vets and have been on three Disney cruises with another planned in May. Recently, my brother expressed interest in going on a Disney cruise at some point. This would be amazing and I really want to help make that happen for him. I'm just gathering information for how feasible it will be.

My brother has a neuromuscular disease called CMT and is essentially a quadriplegic. He uses a (somewhat large) electric wheelchair and is on a ventilator. He cannot really be out of the chair unless he's in bed.

I actually have experience with staying in an accessible room as DH and I were assigned one on our first cruise on the Dream, so I know the space in there would work. I generally keep my eye on things related to wheelchair accessibility when we're travelling, just because I think of my brother and what he'd be able to do or not do.

I am sure over the course of time that we start planning this, I'll have lots of questions...

Does anyone have experience traveling on DCL with a larger electric chair and/or ventilator?
What should I be aware of in terms of accessibility that I might not think of?

First and foremost is to book an accessible stateroom. And I advise doing so as early as possible because there are relatively few and one might not be available for a last-minute booking.

Be sure to contact DCL's Special Services department to discuss his needs. They also have a form.
Just be aware that port adventures may not be very accessible. But there should be plenty onboard he can enjoy.

Enjoy your cruise!

First and foremost is to book an accessible stateroom. And I advise doing so as early as possible because there are relatively few and one might not be available for a last-minute booking.

Be sure to contact DCL's Special Services department to discuss his needs. They also have a form.
Just be aware that port adventures may not be very accessible. But there should be plenty onboard he can enjoy.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! I wasn't clear...he won't go with us this May, it will likely be sometime late in 2020. So, plenty of time on that front. I want to be ready when itineraries come out!

Enjoy your cruise!
Also, thanks for the link! I would have gotten there eventually, but it is helpful to just have it. He just told me two days ago, and I LOVE planning vacations. This just adds a new, minor "challenge" to my preparedness!

I have not been on a cruise, so can’t speak from personal experience, but I have read a lot.
Things I’ve consistently read about cruises have to do with getting around, both on the ship and on outings/excursions.

Plan extra time if you need to use the elevators; they are busy and not that large.
Doors to the accessible staterooms are 32 inches, which sounds pretty wide, but can feel tight if he is used to 36 inch wide doorways.

As was already posted, many excursions may not be accessible. Some use tenders, which are smaller boats that go between the ship and shore. Those are not accessible. If you are going on a Disney Cruise, the stop at Castaway Key is by dock, so is accessible.

Here are some good links I’ve found:
http://spintheglobe.net/dir/2018/07/31/wheelchair-accessible-cruise-disney-dream/

http://www.passporter.com/articles/disney-cruise-with-wheelchair.html

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/disabilities.htm

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wheelchair-on-cruise.3281001/

Since he won’t be able to get any supplies easily, plan to bring extras of anything he uses regularly and any supplies he might need in an emergency or equipment failure.

the only thing I can think would be an issue is the clearance of the chair. the lips at all the public doors leading outside were very high/steep. there was one poor gentleman who we always seemed to run into whose wife just couldn't push his standard chair over the hump. my husband has lots of practice with me so he often rescued them. the on board medical facilities are modern, but more akin to a decent Urgent Care clinic. they may not have any way to handle an emergency with the ventilator. there may also be the issue of the power supply. the on board electrical system is very fickle and delicate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter