Elevated liver enzymes???

Happened to DH about 10 years ago. He was 32 at the time - totally healthy, worked out regularly, barely drank, etc. The doctor thought maybe it had to do with some weight lifting supplements he was taking (All supposedly healthy and natural, but that stuff isn't really FDA monitored). Anyway, he stopped all of those drinks and went back for a follow up tests over a few month time span and all the numbers were back in the normal range.

Luckily (?) I visited a gastroenterologist two weeks ago for some testing to find out why my IBS has gotten worse over the past year or so. He ordered an endoscopy and colonoscopy which I need to schedule once my insurance company authorizes it. At least I can have him work up the lover enzyme issue if the second test comes back elevated as well.

I also saw that some intestinal disorders can elevate liver enzymes and that is what my gastro is looking for with the two tests he ordered (celiac and UC/Chrohns)

Good Luck with that & like I said, get ALL YOUR BLOOD RESULTS with case notes to boot for procedures.

I think I need another endoscopy. Might have an ulcer? I have a hiatal hernia as well as a nice big bilateral hernia.

After my breast cancer radiation last yr, my body went crazy. I am trying to get it back into shape. You saw my liver numbers? Ick. I am seeing a cardiologist who is working with my lipids. My last visit was TERRIFIC.

I ask about your lipid panel because you never know. What are your trigylcerides? The GI is going to want those numbers anyway, so just get a copy for yourself and then you you don't have to freaking send the crap. You have control over YOUR numbers. Stupid it seems but man does it come in handy at a doc. visit.

Good Luck with that & like I said, get ALL YOUR BLOOD RESULTS with case notes to boot for procedures.

I think I need another endoscopy. Might have an ulcer? I have a hiatal hernia as well as a nice big bilateral hernia.

After my breast cancer radiation last yr, my body went crazy. I am trying to get it back into shape. You saw my liver numbers? Ick. I am seeing a cardiologist who is working with my lipids. My last visit was TERRIFIC.

I ask about your lipid panel because you never know. What are your trigylcerides? The GI is going to want those numbers anyway, so just get a copy for yourself and then you you don't have to freaking send the crap. You have control over YOUR numbers. Stupid it seems but man does it come in handy at a doc. visit.

I don't know about you all but whenever/wherever I have labwork done, it is always sent out to Labcorp, which I believe is a large, national company with many locations. Rather than bothering my doctors for copies, I signed up on their website (very easy) and all of my lab reports are available to me about 5 days after any lab draw. It's great. I love having them so I can compare changes in my labwork myself or I can pull them off whenever I go to see another doctor who might find them interesting.

Has anyone had this show up on a blood panel with no other abnormal numbers?

I'm 39, generally healthy, don't drink much alcohol (Last drink was almost 2 weeks ago), but I do take Aleve frequently for headaches. I don't take any daily medications. I'm not really overweight. I am at the upper end of "normal" for my height. I exercise a few times per week.

Went for annual physical and blood work, liver enzymes came back elevated. My doctor sounded confused and a bit concerned, but suggested we re-test next week just to make sure it's a valid result.

Of course I am freaking out. Has that happened to anyone who didn't actually have another underlying condition? I have absolutely no symptoms.
If you had any alcoholic beverages the night before your test they will be elevated. Aleve is an NSAID so your kidneys should be more of a concern with that medication, although you never know. Labs can have errors, so “try” not to worry too much until you get the next results.

I don't know about you all but whenever/wherever I have labwork done, it is always sent out to Labcorp, which I believe is a large, national company with many locations. Rather than bothering my doctors for copies, I signed up on their website (very easy) and all of my lab reports are available to me about 5 days after any lab draw. It's great. I love having them so I can compare changes in my labwork myself or I can pull them off whenever I go to see another doctor who might find them interesting.

It varies. Some of our systems have THEIR own labs. We do go to LabCorp sometimes. I will check that out. Thanks

I don't know which lab my doctors office uses, but they do the draw in office.

The doctor uses Patient Fusion and usually results are posted there so that is how I have always gotten my results. However, the page for lab results says "You do not currently have access to this page. Request access from your physician."

Regardless, I will ask for a copy of my results when I go in next week for the redraw.

almost all my blood screen in my 20,s had that, but I loved to drink then. Its still not that unusual for the liver to come back high, first thing to do is retake test, because with the liver its comming back normal next time. Believe me i know how to freak out, and this isnt a freak out situation ( if your enzymes are high and your turning yellow, freak out)

My DH, also 39, has been dealing with this since July. The elevated liver enzymes were an incidental finding on his life insurance physical/bloodwork. His AST, ALT, ALP, and GGT were all high, all other values normal. No symptoms, he's in decent shape, not much of a drinker BUT he was just finishing a course of Augmentin when they drew the blood and apparently that drug can affect the liver. He self-monitored the values for two months (did everyone know you can go to the lab and request any bloodwork you want if you pay OOP?) Initially, there was improvement, but after a couple of months the values plateaued, still high, and he scheduled an appointment with a hepatologist. The doctor has done an e.x.t.e.n.s.i.v.e. evaluation of my DH's liver -- an MRI with elastography, autoimmune disorder testing, DNA mutation analysis, checking for rare and exotic forms of Hepatitis that I didn't even know existed, etc. They've found nothing amiss. (And the doctor is the Director of Hepatology at one of the nation's top hospitals, so I believe he's well qualified.) So, still no answers but no scary results either.

A friend of ours also had unexplained elevated liver enzymes at one point. They rechecked her bloodwork a few months later and the values were down but still high, another recheck a few months after that and everything was normal. She never had an explanation for what may have caused it.

I don't think it's the Aleve. I take that all the time for joint pain and I also take the medicine for Toe Nail Fungus that has been linked to liver problems so my liver is monitored on a monthly basis. 6 months have passed with no change at all.

I don't think it's the Aleve. I take that all the time for joint pain and I also take the medicine for Toe Nail Fungus that has been linked to liver problems so my liver is monitored on a monthly basis. 6 months have passed with no change at all.
I can believe that the Aleve isn't responsible. But the fact that it hasn't done that for you really means nothing here. Different people have different reactions.

I can believe that the Aleve isn't responsible. But the fact that it hasn't done that for you really means nothing here. Different people have different reactions.

We don't have her numbers to even make a determination at all. If her enzymes are in outer space, it has nothing to do with Aleve.

My dad had this same issue and an ultra sound was ordered. It eventually showed a fatty liver and he had to make some diet changes to correct it.

Same with my DH. He is 5'7" - 160 and plays hockey 3 times a week - non drinker except on vacation once a year. So very very healthy but he had to change his diet, now he is totally within normal range.
Would you mind mentioning what type of diet modifications have this result? At my last physical my Dr. mentioned I have a "slightly" fatty liver but didn't say anything about liver enzymes. I've got another round of blood-work scheduled and we will talk then about recommendations. :scratchin I'm curious to know what I could be in for. (I also have very high LDL for which I've declined statins - not sure if that has anything to do with the liver issue.)

Would you mind mentioning what type of diet modifications have this result? At my last physical my Dr. mentioned I have a "slightly" fatty liver but didn't say anything about liver enzymes. I've got another round of blood-work scheduled and we will talk then about recommendations. :scratchin I'm curious to know what I could be in for. (I also have very high LDL for which I've declined statins - not sure if that has anything to do with the liver issue.)

Diet modification is too LOSE weight and get the fat off your liver. I am 12lbs down and it really helps with the lipids too and hopefully my liver #'s. That is pending my bloodwork for this week. (finger's crossed!)

I am on "fish oil" and a low dose statin.

I try to follow a " 80/20 Paleo" diet, meaning eat lean proteins, fruit, and veggies. Stay away from processed as best I can. No red meat.

My dad had elevated liver enzymes about 3 years ago. There was also something about fatty liver. I do not remember all of the details. He doesn't drink or smoke, and has a very healthy lifestyle. He also had some gallbladder issues, (I do not know if that is connected to the liver thing or not). He just did not want to mess with having surgery, so he decided to just live with whatever the issues are. He has said nothing else about it, he seems OK now.

Diet modification is too LOSE weight and get the fat off your liver. I am 12lbs down and it really helps with the lipids too and hopefully my liver #'s. That is pending my bloodwork for this week. (finger's crossed!)

I try to follow a " 80/20 Paleo" diet, meaning eat lean proteins, fruit, and veggies. Stay away from processed as best I can. No red meat.

Carbs is a no-no as well. DH had to modify his carb intake and it helped the liver enzymes tremendously. By modifying his diet his numbers are back in the normal range.

Carbs is a no-no as well. DH had to modify his carb intake and it helped the liver enzymes tremendously. By modifying his diet his numbers are back in the normal range.

Staying away from processed helps me keep away from those yummy junky carbs. I don't stay away from veggies and fruits that are carbs.

Thanks. I could definitely stand to "lose a few" and am willing to do so. Never taking statins though.

We don't have her numbers to even make a determination at all. If her enzymes are in outer space, it has nothing to do with Aleve.

I am curious about the actual numbers too. I will get those soon.

However, it needs to be said that I have been taking pretty large amounts of various painkillers containing either acetaminophen or naproxen or aspirin for the past 30 years due to migraine and frequent tension headaches. I have never overdosed or anything like that, but I do take both OTC and prescription meds to manage my headaches and I have ALWAYS worried about the long term consequences of doing so.

So, maybe taking daily Aleve for the short term wouldn't mess with the liver, but what about a few decades of regular use?

I am curious about the actual numbers too. I will get those soon.

However, it needs to be said that I have been taking pretty large amounts of various painkillers containing either acetaminophen or naproxen or aspirin for the past 30 years due to migraine and frequent tension headaches. I have never overdosed or anything like that, but I do take both OTC and prescription meds to manage my headaches and I have ALWAYS worried about the long term consequences of doing so.

So, maybe taking daily Aleve for the short term wouldn't mess with the liver, but what about a few decades of regular use?
I'm sure if you have been taking acetaminophen regularly for decades and your liver enzymes are now up, your doctor will address that risk factor with you when the full numbers come back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter