Email From MS re DVC Resorts and new point extensions

that if people are disqualified because the last use is not in a resort closure time
Not trying to change your point by selectively quoting, but you make an interesting point.

If a member whose points otherwise would have qualified for the extension, booked and then cancelled a late July reservation before the announcement was made, and did not rebook using those points, those points might not qualify for the extension based on their "last use".

Not trying to change your point by selectively quoting, but you make an interesting point.

If a member whose points otherwise would have qualified for the extension, booked and then cancelled a late July reservation before the announcement was made, and did not rebook using those points, those points might not qualify for the extension based on their "last use".

I have read reports that someone was told that..don’t remember if that was here..or elsewhere.

This week will be very interesting because the June date will be here for those with April and June UYs who can now have access. I am more interested in the 2018 than 2019.

I have read reports that someone was told that..don’t remember if that was here..or elsewhere.

This week will be very interesting because the June date will be here for those with April and June UYs who can now have access. I am more interested in the 2018 than 2019.
I appreciate your interest, especially since you do not have any 2018 banked points. I also think it will be very interesting to see what DVC announces when they provide the details on what "extending" 2018 banked points really means.

For my AUG UY I have until June 17th to deposit them into RCI without restriction. Not my first choice, but better than completely losing those points. I would hate to miss that deadline because I was told those points were extended until Nov 30, 2020, only to find out later those extended points were effectively unusable, and by the time I found that out I was no longer allowed to deposit them into RCI.

It will be interesting to see if my Aug UYU 2018 banked points are eligible for the extension. They were originally for an early June reservation which also used 2019 points. I cancelled that reservation on March 30th so I could bank the 2019 points. (there had been no announcement about allowing late banking before my March 31st banking deadline)

I then (foolishly) used the 2018 banked points for a reservation in late July. After a few days I realized there was no way we would go in late July so I cancelled that reservation in early April. I was worried that if those points were last used for that late July reservation, even though I cancelled it in early April, they might not qualify for whatever exception DVC might announce in the future. I therefore used all of my 2018 banked points to book a reservation in early May, which I knew would be, and was in fact cancelled due to the closure.

I wonder if DVC looks at the history of those points, and sees they were (for about 7 days) used for a reservation in late July, they will decide my points also do not qualify for the extension.
I bet you are fine. I also think you are very smart to have figured this all out before hand. Wish I'd had you advising me! :)

I bet you are fine. I also think you are very smart to have figured this all out before hand. Wish I'd had you advising me! :)
Thank you for the kind words. IMHO planning a DVC vacation should not be a full time job to try and figure out all the nuances.

I agree with everything you posted previously. You should not be disqualified for an extension because you booked a late July reservation when you thought your 2018 banked points were in a "use them or lose them" situation.

ETA: Once DVC provides the details on how extended 2018 banked points can be used, it might become irrelevant whether any particular member's 2018 banked points are eligible for the extension. After those details are announced, it might become obvious that those extended 2018 banked points are so restricted that they are effectively unusable.

Last edited:
The email doesn’t seem to mention March use years, like ours....

We have a reservation in August but now our flight from the UK is not available we will have to cancel and won't be able to use the points until after March.

As 60 of the points we used were banked points due to expire in March, will we just use those?

I haven’t cancelled yet as I wasn’t sure what the best thing to do was.

I have been trying to call Member Services but can’t get through at all. Can anyone on here help please?

The email doesn’t seem to mention March use years, like ours....

We have a reservation in August but now our flight from the UK is not available we will have to cancel and won't be able to use the points until after March.

As 60 of the points we used were banked points due to expire in March, will we just use those?

I haven’t cancelled yet as I wasn’t sure what the best thing to do was.

I have been trying to call Member Services but can’t get through at all. Can anyone on here help please?

Correct. The resorts did not closed until after your UY started, and are opening up before your reservation...so the closure really has no impact on the use of your points or your vacation

There would be no reason to extend the life of those points. The 2018 points being extended to November 30th is because the resorts were closed when points actually expired from trips during the closure or are expiring with little time to use them before they expire

The extension has nothing to do with reservations outside of the closure..it doesn’t even apply to those UYs mentioned if one disn’t have a reservation that got canceled due to closure,

In addition, right now, most of the reports are that even the extension of the banked points is pretty restrictive given all the rules.

Was there ever a written policy about restoring borrowed points to the originating UY or was that something you requested and it happened?

Was there ever a written policy about restoring borrowed points to the originating UY or was that something you requested and it happened?

Written policy and included in initial emails. It is also part of the information you can listen to when you call.

Written policy and included in initial emails. It is also part of the information you can listen to when you call.

And you listen to it over and over and over when you're on hold for 2 hours.......

Once you've connected with a CM and they have to put you on hold then those messages are not part of it and it's only pleasant Disney music. That was a much nicer 30 minutes.

And you listen to it over and over and over when you're on hold for 2 hours.......

Once you've connected with a CM and they have to put you on hold then those messages are not part of it and it's only pleasant Disney music. That was a much nicer 30 minutes.

Ouch. But then why can’t they add info about extended points,, makes no sense!

Ouch. But then why can’t they add info about extended points,, makes no sense!

A good question and it might relieve some of the phone waits if people heard about what was being done and what to expect.

That phone call was a bit painful. 60 minutes had been the estimated wait when I first connected. It was almost double. I started to think I was in some Disney Twilight Zone where the wait never ended. Then the CM needed supervisor assistance and obviously they were busy too.

A good question and it might relieve some of the phone waits if people heard about what was being done and what to expect.

That phone call was a bit painful. 60 minutes had been the estimated wait when I first connected. It was almost double. I started to think I was in some Disney Twilight Zone where the wait never ended. Then the CM needed supervisor assistance and obviously they were busy too.

I emailed them about it and how there is no reason not to put it out and I got back the move it up the chain response,

I did also get a survey and said I was unhappy because I had asked for clarification of the rules in the email, and that was ignored. I am hoping to get a call!

Correct. The resorts did not closed until after your UY started, and are opening up before your reservation...so the closure really has no impact on the use of your points or your vacation

There would be no reason to extend the life of those points. The 2018 points being extended to November 30th is because the resorts were closed when points actually expired from trips during the closure or are expiring with little time to use them before they expire

The extension has nothing to do with reservations outside of the closure..it doesn’t even apply to those UYs mentioned if one disn’t have a reservation that got canceled due to closure,

In addition, right now, most of the reports are that even the extension of the banked points is pretty restrictive given all the rules.
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but what I expected! Do you think I’d have any chance of renting out our points, either as already booked reservations or as points to be used by end of March?

Removed resort specifics as not allowed

Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but what I expected! Do you think I’d have any chance of renting out our points, either as already booked reservations or as points to be used by end of March?

Removed resort specifics as not allowed

Possible. The problem right now, IMO, is the rental market is a tough one and with the new park reservation system not yet explained, as well as who knows how comfortable people will be or if another shut down happens.

Thanks, again, for the info. Sent an email last night requesting my borrowed points in 2019 UY be returned to 2020. After I plowed through my contracts, I discovered the majority of my outstanding 2019 points were borrowed. If those are returned to 2020, it will be a MUCH better outcome than one to which I had resigned myself yesterday morning.

I read a report on the DVC Fan facebook group from a member who used 2019 UY points to book a reservation in July, before the parks reopen, and was told by member services that (here is where I start interpreting what he said, because it's not clear: his points would be extended through the 2020 UY). Has anyone gotten any clarity I missed on the definition of the "closure period"? I also have a reservation that falls between June 22 and July 11 and I would like to cancel it and save my points to be used with my 2020 UY points, but they will expire at the end of July if the reservation is not within the "closure period".

ETA: I emailed MS but I am impatient. :rolleyes1

I read a report on the DVC Fan facebook group from a member who used 2019 UY points to book a reservation in July, before the parks reopen, and was told by member services that (here is where I start interpreting what he said, because it's not clear: his points would be extended through the 2020 UY). Has anyone gotten any clarity I missed on the definition of the "closure period"? I also have a reservation that falls between June 22 and July 11 and I would like to cancel it and save my points to be used with my 2020 UY points, but they will expire at the end of July if the reservation is not within the "closure period".

ETA: I emailed MS but I am impatient. :rolleyes1

The reports here so far have been the opposite. If they are not during a time when the resort is closed, they are not eligible.

Now, some members had initial reservations during a closed time but changed them to a different time because they were told they would expire. Then DVC updates the rule to include more UYs.

So, it’s possible that they originally came from one. But, we have reports that some members were told that action disqualified them

However, with no clear written policy things can always change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter