Email From MS re DVC Resorts and new point extensions

I think this was asked early in the thread, but I just got caught up and didn't see an answer. Sorry in advance if I missed it.

Has anyone cancelled a or inquired about cancelling a late June stay which would now be resort-only? Are they still waving the "holding" policy for those stays?

I am June 2020 UY, no borrow/extensions issues. I'm asking about the holding policy waiver only. Thanks!

I think this was asked early in the thread, but I just got caught up and didn't see an answer. Sorry in advance if I missed it.

Has anyone cancelled a or inquired about cancelling a late June stay which would now be resort-only? Are they still waving the "holding" policy for those stays?

I am June 2020 UY, no borrow/extensions issues. I'm asking about the holding policy waiver only. Thanks!

As of today, they are not putting points in holding. However, it could stop at anytime, so if you are not going, I’d cancel on the website ASAP.

Used Chat today to verify borrowed points were still being returned and MS said that mine should be returned in a "couple of weeks." I thanked him profusely and emailed myself a copy of the transcript. I was surprised it took less than 30 minutes. I'll now have enough points to make my F&G reservation next May.

This is kind of like a situation I was in. Sometimes stupid luck works out as it did in my case.

I've been chasing an Easter week trip, as many of you know, since this whole ordeal started. Jun UY and I had banked everything except the points used for that trip (which we obviously intended to take). Once they cancelled that one, I made a May reservation with the points from that trip. No dice, obviously, so I cancelled that one about a week prior. Back in my account go my 2019 points about to expire.

Hadn't made any reservations for our "next year" to us (We call our year based on our UY because it makes it easier for us to keep up with.) except Thanksgiving and next Easter so we had a few points in 2020 left over. Knowing that, and betting for sure that the parks would surely be open after July 4 based on Universal's announcement, I optimistically made a reservation for July 5-11 using most of what was left of our 2020 points. Then came the announcement. Parks open July 11. Now I could have resigned myself to a resort only stay, and had for the most part, but there was no way I was going to watch them open the day we had to leave. Outside my 30 days, I somewhat reluctantly cancelled my 5-11 trip a few days ago and re-booked it for Aug 1-8.

Here's where the dumb luck comes in. Had they immediately moved those 2019 points to 2020, I would have most certainly used those for the July 5-11 trip, and there's where I'd be stuck. If I cancelled it with those points, I suspect I would have lost them so we would have had to take that trip in order not to lose them.

I learned a great lesson here though. When they do bank those points into 2020 in a couple of days, there is no way I'm applying them to the August reservation. Not the way things are playing out right now. As is stands, I have until June 30 to cancel that one also with no penalty in case everything goes to heck in a handbasket at the resorts or the parks or with the pandemic. Thanksgiving is looking like an almost perfect option because it will eat most of them. Not all, but most. The rest I'll apply to next Easter or better yet, I may just take a long weekend at New Year's because I'm already ready to kick 2020 to the curb. Doing it this way also gives me the luxury of having a few more months to watch this whole thing play out with the luxury of not losing another trip or any points in the process.

This has all been quite the learning experience for all of us I suspect. Sometimes dumb luck just works out. I can only hope it holds out.

Just to share. I think we all seem to forget we're all going through the same crap trying to get to the same end result; getting back to our Happy Place as soon as possible.

This is kind of like a situation I was in. Sometimes stupid luck works out as it did in my case.

I've been chasing an Easter week trip, as many of you know, since this whole ordeal started. Jun UY and I had banked everything except the points used for that trip (which we obviously intended to take). Once they cancelled that one, I made a May reservation with the points from that trip. No dice, obviously, so I cancelled that one about a week prior. Back in my account go my 2019 points about to expire.

Hadn't made any reservations for our "next year" to us (We call our year based on our UY because it makes it easier for us to keep up with.) except Thanksgiving and next Easter so we had a few points in 2020 left over. Knowing that, and betting for sure that the parks would surely be open after July 4 based on Universal's announcement, I optimistically made a reservation for July 5-11 using most of what was left of our 2020 points. Then came the announcement. Parks open July 11. Now I could have resigned myself to a resort only stay, and had for the most part, but there was no way I was going to watch them open the day we had to leave. Outside my 30 days, I somewhat reluctantly cancelled my 5-11 trip a few days ago and re-booked it for Aug 1-8.

Here's where the dumb luck comes in. Had they immediately moved those 2019 points to 2020, I would have most certainly used those for the July 5-11 trip, and there's where I'd be stuck. If I cancelled it with those points, I suspect I would have lost them so we would have had to take that trip in order not to lose them.

I learned a great lesson here though. When they do bank those points into 2020 in a couple of days, there is no way I'm applying them to the August reservation. Not the way things are playing out right now. As is stands, I have until June 30 to cancel that one also with no penalty in case everything goes to heck in a handbasket at the resorts or the parks or with the pandemic. Thanksgiving is looking like an almost perfect option because it will eat most of them. Not all, but most. The rest I'll apply to next Easter or better yet, I may just take a long weekend at New Year's because I'm already ready to kick 2020 to the curb. Doing it this way also gives me the luxury of having a few more months to watch this whole thing play out with the luxury of not losing another trip or any points in the process.

This has all been quite the learning experience for all of us I suspect. Sometimes dumb luck just works out. I can only hope it holds out.

Just to share. I think we all seem to forget we're all going through the same crap trying to get to the same end result; getting back to our Happy Place as soon as possible.

If they had moved them earlier, I am not sure why you would lose them?

Once in your 2020 UY, they are good for the year, regardless of trip.because the banking was complete.

It is those with Aug UY and beyond, who moved them to open dates are stuck as those points haven’t been banked and now won’t be.

I also don't understand the reasoning that if they had moved them earlier you would have lost them? With a June UY it still was in your 2020 UY. And I'm also missing the reason to not reallocate the banked 2019 points to the Aug reservation once they do bank them but instead that it's better to leave the 2020 points in use? I'd personally want to get the banked points into the earliest reservation.

If they had moved them earlier, I am not sure why you would lose them?

Once in your 2020 UY, they are good for the year, regardless of trip.because the banking was complete.

It is those with Aug UY and beyond, who moved them to open dates are stuck as those points haven’t been banked and now won’t be.

I thought if I cancelled a reservation while the resorts were open with those 2019 points, I would lose them. I guess I misunderstood. Apparently it's the ones using 2018 banked points that are losing them if they cancel.

Glad I posted this then. I guess I just needed to post this after all to make sense of it all.

Kat, you're right then. I should and will immediately apply those points to August as soon as I can. I had just started over-thinking this whole thing I guess.

I thought if I cancelled a reservation while the resorts were open with those 2019 points, I would lose them. I guess I misunderstood. Apparently it's the ones using 2018 banked points that are losing them if they cancel.

Glad I posted this then. I guess I just needed to post this after all to make sense of it all.

Kat, you're right then. I should and will immediately apply those points to August as soon as I can. I had just started over-thinking this whole thing I guess.

The people who are losing out are Aug UY and beyond, who had points beyond the banking window in reservations during that time,

For example, I have some 2019 points that I didn’t realize I had in play and moved my trip to July from June.

Since the resorts are open, if I cancel, I can’t get the late banking. if I had left them in the June one, and canceled now..since the 1st day of that trip was a closed, they'd banked those 15 points.

The people who are losing out are Aug UY and beyond, who had points beyond the banking window in reservations during that time,

For example, I have some 2019 points that I didn’t realize I had in play and moved my trip to July from June.

Since the resorts are open, if I cancel, I can’t get the late banking. if I had left them in the June one, and canceled now..since the 1st day of that trip was a closed, they'd banked those 15 points.

Gotcha. That makes sense now.

The current policy states, ". . . 2019 Use Year Points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year". Your points were used for a reservation during the closure period (even though they were reused for a later reservation). The policy does not mention if the points were reused for another reservation not during the closure period. They should still qualify for the extension, right, based on the specific language of the policy?

The current policy states, ". . . 2019 Use Year Points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year". Your points were used for a reservation during the closure period (even though they were reused for a later reservation). The policy does not mention if the points were reused for another reservation not during the closure period. They should still qualify for the extension, right, based on the specific language of the policy?

What they have decided is that once eligible points were moved into a new reservation, those points are now tied to that one. It doesn't matter if you had them at some point in a closed date.

The final place they were is what counts. It doesn’t seem fair, but that is how it is defined,

Many people are upset because they only rescheduled for summer because they were told no extension...to me, they should be given it,

In my case, I only ended up with them because I booked the trip in the wrong UY..I have 3! I thought it was on the contract I am selling and we even listed a delayed closing,

I found out realizes right after it passed ROFR, when checking something else, that I didn’t use my June UY..which I should have figured out sooner based on the points.

So, 15 not a big deal!

You may need to call because they haven’t really come it with how it is happening. When it was just April and June UY, they were told they had to wait until after June 5th before the points would show up.

Someone posted with an Aug UY that the called and a CM moved their 2019 points while on the phone and did all the reallocation.

So, if you have a need for them now, call.
What exactly is supposed to happen to points on June 5?

What exactly is supposed to happen to points on June 5?

Those that have April and June UYs with points eligible for extensions are supposed to have them back in their accounts by that date for use.

2018 banked won’t show up online and must be booked by calling...2019 should be back and show in the 2020 UY.

Looking for a sounding board with my wiser, less confused Dis friends. I have an August UY with 27 2019 points that did not get banked by the deadline. I was holding a reservation for the Fourth of July at the Poly before COVID came along and at the time of the banking deadline I idiotically thought things would be back to normal by 7/4. I was only partly wrong.

I emailed MS June 2 with the following question:

"I currently have a reservation for July 4, 2020 at the Polynesian Villas, using 2019 Use Year points. The reservation is before the parks reopen but after the resorts begin reopening. Is that reservation considered within the closure period? If I cancel the reservation, will the points expire July 31, 2020 or in 2021?"

This morning I finally received a response. Here is what I got, which contradicts what I thought the policy would be for this time period:

"Welcome Home Melinda,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club®.
We appreciate your interest in your upcoming reservation and will be happy to assist you.

It appears you have modified the dates of your reservation after your email was submitted. All reservations through July 10, 2020 are still being considered as an impacted reservation so our changes to our policies will apply to the Vacation Points.

Should you have any additional questions, please reply by return email with those details and we will be happy to assist you further.

Disney Vacation Club values our Members' feedback and would appreciate you taking a moment to fill out a survey on the service I provided you today.
Please click on the following link to complete our survey. [survey removed]

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you and have a magical day,
Larry
Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club"

To confirm, I have moved the one night July 4 stay to July 1 to work with an existing cash reservation I made through CRO earlier this year. I guess my questions are"

- do we trust that if I cancel the July 1 Poly reservation now that my 27 points will not expire on July 31, 2020
- how difficult will it be to use these points if I do cancel the reservation and the points are extended? Will I need to call MS to use them?
- have others seen their expired 2019 UY points appear back in their online accounts in their 2020 UY?
- and finally, much more subjectively - what would you do? cancel the trip and save them or go and enjoy a resort stay while parks are closed?

I am also happy that I got an email response finally and am hoping that this means maybe more MS cast members are back from furlough.

I was told that my freed up points from stays canceled before parks did not qualify. But, that email sounds like maybe they will. I have 15 points that will expire as I didn't realize I had bankable points because I thought the reservation was booked in my other UY!

I am going down early July and we are going to enjoy seeing the resorts and the area in a whole new light!

I was told that my freed up points from stays canceled before parks did not qualify. But, that email sounds like maybe they will. I have 15 points that will expire as I didn't realize I had bankable points because I thought the reservation was booked in my other UY!

I am going down early July and we are going to enjoy seeing the resorts and the area in a whole new light!
Thank you Sandi! My husband decided for us (he is the “non fan” in the family) as he was NOT INTERESTED in canceling our trip. Sure surprised me! Hopefully that email will be helpful if others are in my situation though.

Thank you Sandi! My husband decided for us (he is the “non fan” in the family) as he was NOT INTERESTED in canceling our trip. Sure surprised me! Hopefully that email will be helpful if others are in my situation though.

I sent another one today asking to review my account as I was hearing policy may have been changed since I asked a month ago.

We shall see. 15 points is not the end of the world...but sure would be nice not to lose them! Enjoy!,

I had a reservation for 7/4-7/11 They told my I had use them or lose them my my use year end which is September these were 2018 points
230 points is a lot so I booked for september but have no tickets oh boy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter