Email From MS re DVC Resorts and new point extensions

Theres stuff there because the 2018 points from today arent available to book with for at least another few weeks.

Fair point...but as long as there is a room within ones UYs, they have meet the obligation as best they can. And, to be honest, if those points are not even available for booking yet, it means the extension isn’t taking up rooms yet for owners who didn’t have expiring points...which is a good thing. Since the extension of points wasnt required, if those points cant be used and are lost, it’s no different than had they not been extended

And, their duty based on timeshare law is to balance supply and demand. With the closure, they had to make both short term and long term changes to the system.

Yup, it is going to impact people whose reservations were during closure and others who didn’t. Fair? Maybe not. Legal? Looks to be.

I am Oct. UY...I got confused actually...I did use my points for reservations, pushed from April, to June, then to August, and now I am struggling if i should cancel and bank before the deadline coming up in a few days. Now based on this email, I can choose not to bank? And will get till Oct. 2021 to use the points? A little too good to be true...:)

I'm very happy that my August UY 2018 points are good through November 30, 2020.

But here's the fun part, I have a reservation for Thanksgiving week 2020, and I would love it if I could just swap out points via member services so I can utilize them.

Does anyone here have any insight re: the pitfalls or other issues with doing so? I recall reading briefly it's like getting a root canal.
I have not had luck swapping out points- trying multiple times. I was told the only way to do it is to cancel the reservation and rebook- with the chance of losing the original reservation. I too am booked for Thanksgiving week and I don't want to take the chance. (I had April reservation that I moved to Thanksgiving taking less points and before the borrowed points were returned). I hope you have better luck than me.

I'm very happy that my August UY 2018 points are good through November 30, 2020.

But here's the fun part, I have a reservation for Thanksgiving week 2020, and I would love it if I could just swap out points via member services so I can utilize them.

Does anyone here have any insight re: the pitfalls or other issues with doing so? I recall reading briefly it's like getting a root canal.
I would call MS ASAP

There are now more points than there are accommodations. At some point an owners points will be worthless because of this.
This is only true if every owner booked rooms ONLY as they are declared. At VGF/SSR, for example, it would mean no rooms are booked as a studios or 1BR ever. Or any lockoff at any resort is only booked as a 2BR.

Add to this how a lot of owners are likely borrowed to the hilt, and the availability problems that a lot of people are projecting are probably overblown in the long term.

In a few years (certainly over the life of the RTU) the impact on availability will be nonexistent outside of the usual scapegoating that happens with walkers, renters, SSR owners. Now COVID-19 policies will just be added to the list of grievances people will level against not being able to book a BWV studio at 4 months despite owning there.

I am so confused. I have had the worst day and cannot think clearly. Can someone help me?

I had a reservation for April 2020 using 60 OCT 2019 UY points. Also had a waitlist set up to replace that reservation. Waitlist reservation only used 42 points. Was kind of waiting around to see what was going to happen with everything. Still was outside of 31 days and I was going to cut it to the wire.

March 9 My waitlist matched. Technically, cancelling a 60 point res. I knew I wasn't going anywhere at this point but I didn't even see the waitlist match.

Went to cancel on March 15 and saw my waitlist had come thru. So I cancelled a 42 point res not the 60 pointer I thought I had. Whatever. Didn't matter at the time.

Banked my 60 available 2019 points and made a res for Feb 2021 that I really don't want, but just grabbed something assuming I need to use those points.

Since I can't borrow more than 1/2 of my 2021 points (I have only a few 2020 points) I don't really have enough to take a trip I'd WANT to take. But I'm still sitting on a Feb 2021 res. right now.

Do any of my points qualify (or none - because I banked them and rebooked).

If my 60 2019 points were to qualify for extension until Oct 2022, I can wait and have access to enough points to take the trip I'd prefer.

If only 42 2019 points qualify, I won't bother with that mess.

So, wise ones, what the heck am I working with here? 0 / 42 / 60 extended points?
There weren't any extension of 2019 points into 2021 points, just late banking from 2019 to 2020 but you've already done that.

I have not had luck swapping out points- trying multiple times. I was told the only way to do it is to cancel the reservation and rebook- with the chance of losing the original reservation. I too am booked for Thanksgiving week and I don't want to take the chance. (I had April reservation that I moved to Thanksgiving taking less points and before the borrowed points were returned). I hope you have better luck than me.

This is what I’m afraid of, that my reservation will be swiped as a CM is actively cancelling and rebooking on the phone. Guess it is a risk I’ll need to take :/

There weren't any extension of 2019 points into 2021 points, just late banking from 2019 to 2020 but you've already done that.

Ohhhh...your explanation "late banking" is much easier to understand than "extending the expiration date". I get it now. Thank you!

I've only been paying attention to what specifically pertains to me...not up to date on this whole mess. Oct UY are still within their banking window (barely) so I was confused and thought they were literally giving you another year to use your points.

Guess I'm going to WDW in February!

I am Oct. UY...I got confused actually...I did use my points for reservations, pushed from April, to June, then to August, and now I am struggling if i should cancel and bank before the deadline coming up in a few days. Now based on this email, I can choose not to bank? And will get till Oct. 2021 to use the points? A little too good to be true...:)

Since you are within your banking deadline, and can cancel now, I would not assume that if you wait closer to August that it will still apply when you have the ability to save them.

I am so confused. I have had the worst day and cannot think clearly. Can someone help me?

I had a reservation for April 2020 using 60 OCT 2019 UY points. Also had a waitlist set up to replace that reservation. Waitlist reservation only used 42 points. Was kind of waiting around to see what was going to happen with everything. Still was outside of 31 days and I was going to cut it to the wire.

March 9 My waitlist matched. Technically, cancelling a 60 point res. I knew I wasn't going anywhere at this point but I didn't even see the waitlist match.

Went to cancel on March 15 and saw my waitlist had come thru. So I cancelled a 42 point res not the 60 pointer I thought I had. Whatever. Didn't matter at the time.

Banked my 60 available 2019 points and made a res for Feb 2021 that I really don't want, but just grabbed something assuming I need to use those points.

Since I can't borrow more than 1/2 of my 2021 points (I have only a few 2020 points) I don't really have enough to take a trip I'd WANT to take. But I'm still sitting on a Feb 2021 res. right now.

Do any of my points qualify (or none - because I banked them and rebooked).

If my 60 2019 points were to qualify for extension until Oct 2022, I can wait and have access to enough points to take the trip I'd prefer.

If only 42 2019 points qualify, I won't bother with that mess.

So, wise ones, what the heck am I working with here? 0 / 42 / 60 extended points?

No, the 2019 points have been banked, Those are not being extended, What they are doing is allowing those who had May and June reservations that had points beyond banking deadline to be banked late.

They can not swap if the points you want switched are both in reservations, That requires a cancel and rebook,

If the points are sitting in your account, then you can reallocate. I do this all the time. The extended points from 2018 can only be used by calling, but as long as they aren’t in a current reservation, then the CM can modify the current one and it will pick up...well it should...the older points first,

This is great to see. I, as well as others on here, have been preaching to stay patient as many were up in arms about their point situation. Did people really think Disney would leave them hanging? No, DVC just needed time to evaluate the situation. They are doing the right thing. Yet there will still be people who aren't happy, I'm sure. The old saying is true, "You can't make everyone happy all the time". I am frankly shocked to see that Disney extended the points for people with August, September and October UYs. Those people had ample time to cancel reservations and bank points, but instead decided to roll the dice and see what happened. Disney is going above and beyond by allowing those people to extend their points.

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,
A little more than two months ago, I shared with you the details of our company’s plans to temporarily close our parks and resorts, pause cruises and make other changes because of COVID-19. While this time apart has been challenging for all of us, physical-distancing efforts around the globe have helped slow the spread of the virus and have allowed Disney to plan for a gradual reopening.
We began earlier this month with the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced additional plans including the expected reopening of Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort on June 15 and all Disney Vacation Club properties at the Walt Disney World Resort on June 22.
This is fantastic news and yet another positive step forward – for our Members, guests and our Disney teams.
As we prepare to welcome you home, we have assessed every aspect of the resort experience – from pre-arrival to housekeeping to recreation – with your safety and that of our Cast Members as our top priority. A summary of what you can expect during your next visit is posted on the Disney Parks Blog. Some of the operational adjustments include:

• Enhanced cleaning of all rooms prior to arrival, including additional measures for dishware and appliances for Disney Vacation Club units, along with the standard Disney Vacation Club housekeeping services during your stay

• Increased cleaning and sanitization in high-traffic areas

• New hand-sanitizing stations in key areas

• Physical distancing at restaurants, lobbies, pools, fitness centers and other public areas, including reducing capacity where appropriate

Our Members and guests will also play an important role in helping prevent the spread of illness. Like our Cast, all Members and guests will be asked to wear face coverings in public resort areas when not eating or drinking and to respect physical distancing. Members and guests are also strongly encouraged to check in remotely through the My Disney Experience app, frequently wash their hands and use cashless payment options. More details about these operational adjustments, including offerings that may remain temporarily suspended at individual resorts, are available online at disneyworld.com. While these adjustments may make the places you call “home” feel a little different for the time being, we will continue to make adjustments as the situation evolves.
As you may be aware, it was also announced today that Walt Disney World Resort submitted a proposal to government officials in Florida describing our approach for a phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort theme parks planned to begin on July 11. Reopening dates for The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina Hawai’i have not been determined, and we will share updates about those resorts just as soon as we’re able. Members wishing to alter their existing resort reservations may do so online at disneyvacationclub.com or contact Member Services for assistance.
Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now allexpire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.
All of us at Disney Vacation Club thank you, not only for your patience and understanding but for the many well wishes we’ve received during our closure. The reopening of these resorts is an encouraging step forward, and our Cast couldn’t be happier to welcome you home. To borrow words from a familiar tune, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away!

See you real soon,
Signature
Terri A. Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

view

I was happy to see the extension to November as I had April UY that was impacted so was good to see extended another two months. But I then saw availability for studios in October/November so didn’t help lol

but very happy to have clarity!

I understand this is nice, but this, 'This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29.', will create a huge headache not just for some of us, for their IT and CM as well. If you have multiple contracts, all pooled together, after a few rounds of cancellations and revisions, piecing together nights here and there, points could become very fragmented across reservations, and then try to figure out which portion qualifies for extension, which part is not? I spent the past one hour looking at the past changes, still don't have much a clue...i think all my 2019 points qualify for extension, but what if i am wrong?

Btw, i am Oct. UY, so this is a particular 'urgent' issue as I still have a couple of days to bank my points, but doing that means I have to cancel my precious Aug. reservation...:)

Last edited:
They can not swap if the points you want switched are both in reservations, That requires a cancel and rebook,

If the points are sitting in your account, then you can reallocate. I do this all the time. The extended points from 2018 can only be used by calling, but as long as they aren’t in a current reservation, then the CM can modify the current one and it will pick up...well it should...the older points first,

I was informed with these specific points, they would not allow you to modify to use the older points first without a cancel and rebook situation. I had planned on trying to grab a few nights in October with my current UY points and then swap out the points with the banked 2018 ones in early June because in the past, we've done something similar. I was told that for this instance in relation to COVID19 that the 2018 banked points with the Nov. 30th extension would only be able to be used after the following:
1. disappear from your dashboard which is a notification that they have been banked by DVC
2. you must call in to book
3. they can only be used on new reservations.

I went through about 4 different scenarios with 3 different CMs to double check I couldn't just swap out the older points. They did say the could "swap" out to the older points.. if the rooms still had open availability. I had them take me through it.. and it wasn't really a swap but rather, they'd create the new reservation and cancel the other one. .. . .

If someone finds out something else, please let me know! I'd be happy to grab what I need now and then swap out to use the older points later.

I was informed with these specific points, they would not allow you to modify to use the older points first without a cancel and rebook situation. I had planned on trying to grab a few nights in October with my current UY points and then swap out the points with the banked 2018 ones in early June because in the past, we've done something similar. I was told that for this instance in relation to COVID19 that the 2018 banked points with the Nov. 30th extension would only be able to be used after the following:
1. disappear from your dashboard which is a notification that they have been banked by DVC

I went through about 4 different scenarios with 3 different CMs to double check I couldn't just swap out the older points. They did say the could "swap" out to the older points.. if the rooms still had open availability. I had them take me through it.. and it wasn't really a swap but rather, they'd create the new reservation and cancel the other one. .. . .

If someone finds out something else, please let me know! I'd be happy to grab what I need now and then swap out to use the older points later.

Thank you for sharing as that is a big piece of information. I wondered if that was the cause, I am going to go out on a limb here...speculation again..that since the extended 2018 points can not be used for previous reservations, only new ones, and one has to call, that these may indeed not be an owners original points, but ones owned by DVD.

So, it sounds like an owner with Aug, Sept and Oct UY won’t even be eligible to call until they are officially gone from account.

Thank you for sharing as that is a big piece of information. I wondered if that was the cause, I am going to go out on a limb here...speculation again..that since the extended 2018 points can not be used for previous reservations, only new ones, and one has to call, that these may indeed not be an owners original points, but ones owned by DVD.

So, it sounds like an owner with Aug, Sept and Oct UY won’t even be eligible to call until they are officially gone from account.

Yeah. They all said that I would have to wait until they disappeared from my dashboard which would happen sometime between June 5th and June 7th. I only have 19 banked 2018 points from a previous swap issue where they didn't use oldest first so these 2018 just kept bumping along.

I told her that I would most likely end up just loosing them because I foresee availability being limited to larger rooms and even if I change other trips already scheduled, all I could probably get is one or two nights in a 1 or 2 bedroom. She was like "You aren't loosing the points, you have until November 30th. That's plenty of time to use them" :rolleyes1

that is very frustrating. I grabbed something to swap points with back in April or early May. As they said it would take two months before they put points back on the account

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!