embarkation question

picklejama

Earning My Ears
Is it necessary for everyone on a reservation to check in and board together? We are a party of 6 and one person needs to go drop off the rental car after dropping the rest of us at the port with the luggage. With four excited kids in tow it would be easier for me to just go ahead and board, letting DH catch up later. Is this possible? Thanks for any help!

Is it necessary for everyone on a reservation to check in and board together? We are a party of 6 and one person needs to go drop off the rental car after dropping the rest of us at the port with the luggage. With four excited kids in tow it would be easier for me to just go ahead and board, letting DH catch up later. Is this possible? Thanks for any help!
Yes, it's possible. Although there have been reports where some groups were told they had to check in together by the registration CMs.

One of my favorite parts of the cruise is when your family boards - and they announce you in the atrium! Yes, they do it for everybody. But it's just so nice. You might want to all be together for that.
Also, there's things to keep the kids occupied for a bit in the terminal. Videos, penny press, miniature ship, meet Mickey or Minnie, etc.

Depending on your PAT and how long the car return takes, your husband may be back before you board anyway.

And... it may not be important for you but wanted to point out... the embarkation picture is taken when you board. If you and the kids board ahead of DH, he won't be in the picture.

Enjoy your cruise!

I thought I read somewhere that the whole party had to be present at check-in, but I could be wrong. It would also depend on what time your port arrival time is scheduled for. You may have to wait to board. Boarding usually starts a little before noon.

I thought I read somewhere that the whole party had to be present at check-in, but I could be wrong. It would also depend on what time your port arrival time is scheduled for. You may have to wait to board. Boarding usually starts a little before noon.

In our case, we split the difference. I dropped off the car, while my family went inside to check in. They got through security, checked in, and then waited in the terminal for me so that we could all board together. I was able to get through security and check-in faster on my own and caught up to them pretty quickly. But sometimes the lines at the car rental/the shuttle back to the port can take a while, so you might want to keep boarding without DH as an option, if things are getting later and the kids are getting hungry. Of course, you'll have to carry all the carry-on bags with you until 1:30 when the rooms open, so maybe you'll want to wait for him after all since you are the only other adult. It kinda depends on the ages of your kids and how much they can assist you with the bags.

My husband was able to board before me and the Children. We traveled to WDW a few days ahead of time and took the Disney bus from the contempory. He had to work so he flew in the day of sailing and took the Disney Bus from the airport. He was on board before we left the resort.

Last edited:
The last time we checked in (2014), I was at the counter alone and they insisted that my DH and DD come up there with me. I had their passports and all the information, but they wanted to see them :confused3

The last time we checked in (2014), I was at the counter alone and they insisted that my DH and DD come up there with me. I had their passports and all the information, but they wanted to see them :confused3

This is still true. But it doesn't mean that everyone has to check in at once. The biggest reason they need to see everyone is that they take a picture of everyone so that when you hand over your KTTW card (to get off the ship at a port, for example) your picture shows up on the screen for the CM so they can verify that it is you. If you are all together, they take the picture of everyone and then break it out digitally. If you check in at separate times, they take the pictures separately. Either seems fine with them as long as you do all come up.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just want to make it clear to the OP who asked if you all had to come up at once, that no, you don't but you do all have to come up in person, not just one person with the IDs.

This is still true. But it doesn't mean that everyone has to check in at once. The biggest reason they need to see everyone is that they take a picture of everyone so that when you hand over your KTTW card (to get off the ship at a port, for example) your picture shows up on the screen for the CM so they can verify that it is you. If you are all together, they take the picture of everyone and then break it out digitally. If you check in at separate times, they take the pictures separately. Either seems fine with them as long as you do all come up.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just want to make it clear to the OP who asked if you all had to come up at once, that no, you don't but you do all have to come up in person, not just one person with the IDs.

I do apologize -- I misunderstand the inquiry. Thanks.

I have a similar question,, can I drop my mom and kids off and they go through security and wait in the lobby A/C while I drop the car off? I saw youtube videos at cape caneveral and do they ask for documentation at the security check before you roll up?

I also have a similar question, I'm cruising with some first timers, I would love to get on the ship earlier as they won't arrive at port for an hour or three after me but I don't want to leave them kind of stranded since they are unfamiliar with the process. Would I be able to walk back off and get back on with them or is that strictly a one way sort of thing during embarkation?

I have a similar question,, can I drop my mom and kids off and they go through security and wait in the lobby A/C while I drop the car off? I saw youtube videos at cape caneveral and do they ask for documentation at the security check before you roll up?

I also have a similar question, I'm cruising with some first timers, I would love to get on the ship earlier as they won't arrive at port for an hour or three after me but I don't want to leave them kind of stranded since they are unfamiliar with the process. Would I be able to walk back off and get back on with them or is that strictly a one way sort of thing during embarkation?

So these are good questions. You can do both of these things, but proper documentation is an issue. Some in our group (we went through security in pieces) were asked for cruise documentation before we even got into the building (like by the gate where you drop your bags). Others were not, but to be safe, you should have each person or at least each group have a copy of the documents that they tell you to print out and bring to the port.

It is possible to leave the building, but I don't think you are allowed to leave the ship. (Can someone else give first hand knowledge? I left the building (after checkin but before boarding), but I didn't try leaving the ship. Still, it would be best to make sure each group has a copy of the printouts, and of course their IDs. This shouldn't be too hard to arrange as the documents can be sent over e-mail or multiple people can log into your main account.

Rest assured, there will be DCL people to walk them through the process, but they will need to have their ID and documents.

Last edited:
For those that are splitting up their family for going through security, make sure that you have the proper number of adults going through security together to cover the alcohol allowance with you. If you have 6 bottles of win, makes sure that 3 21+year-olds are there, same for 18-beers. If your delayed person is necessary for the amount of beer or wine you are bringing onboard, then given them their 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers to carry-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts