• Lunch in the MDR

Votes: 45 31.9%

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Arrive late enough to just go to my room

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other? Please explain.

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Are tastings just alcohol or would there also be food tastings?

The tastings you currently sign up for are alcohol only with the exception of one combined with alcohol and chocolate! On longer sailings (like the transatlantic) they do offer cheese and olive oil and vinegar tastings. These are a "fun" tasting, nothing to serious or hard core (you can find all of it in your speciality grocery) but they are free and do not require signing up. You just show up at the time and place listed in the navigator. We were worried they would run out of places if we were late, but they ended up having so many places already pre-set that they encouraged us to sample extras from the empty places.

We are neither Platinum or Concierge and have successfully booked Palo brunch prior to embarkation for all three of our cruises. Good luck and happy sailing!!

Admittedly, I'm working from a sample size of 1. We've got our TA keeping an eye out when our Silver booking window opens, so we'll see if we have any better luck this time. I'm not sweating it too much; with 3 sea days on the Eastern itinerary, I'm sure I can book something once onboard.

I wish we could do this, have a quiet lunch at MDR, sipping a nice cold mimosa while waiting for our room and planning the cruise ahead... my DD13 refuses to go to MDR bc she says 'going to cabanas is a tradition'... smh.... so I'm stuck with dealing with the cabanas stampede every cruise we've been on...
Is there a time when that zoo is less busy on embarkation day?

At 13, maybe she could just go to Cabana's on her own, while you two enjoy a relaxing MDR lunch?

We ate lunch before going to the port because I didn't want to deal with hungry kids in lines. So we were able to go directly to the room, unpack our carry-ons, and open a couple of drinks. And the kids went up to get ice cream. It was very relaxing to do it that way.

I wish we could do this, have a quiet lunch at MDR, sipping a nice cold mimosa while waiting for our room and planning the cruise ahead... my DD13 refuses to go to MDR bc she says 'going to cabanas is a tradition'... smh.... so I'm stuck with dealing with the cabanas stampede every cruise we've been on...
Is there a time when that zoo is less busy on embarkation day?

I tried Cabanas a few times on embarkation day and it's just too busy for me but being a solo cruiser I have the flexibility to do what I want without having to consider anyone else. I agree with one of the posts that suggested you tell your DD that you want to try something different and see how it goes. I couldn't comment on if there is a time when cabanas is less busy on embarkation day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter